Sign in with
Your question

winxp restore point

Last response: in Windows XP
April 13, 2003 7:35:50 PM

does anyone know how I can go to a restore point on Windows XP pro when I can't even get into windows XP? Is there some way I can get into DOS or something? I can get to the login screen and try to log in but then it kills me with things saying "windows was unable to write to the file ______. this data has been lost. please try to save it somewhere else". and it tells me to run chkdisk. Does anyone know how I can fix this? I tried doing the f8 thing 3 times (selecting the 2 restore options and the safemode option) but to no avail!
This happened when I did the "windows xp tweak guides 1 and 2" at www.tweakdown.com. thanks

More about : winxp restore point

April 22, 2003 12:11:45 AM

Try going into safe mode at boot up by pressing F8 when you get your first screen.

en Xristos
April 22, 2003 1:52:03 AM

Put in your WinXP loading CD, and Boot from the CD, like you would do if you were doing a clean install, after it loads all the files and prepares to install, it will take you to a screen with three options, one of those options is a repair option, and if it accepts to do the repair will restore your machine without loosing anything, I believe it might ask for the Administrator Password you put in to install, I don't remember if it asks for the password or not, but if it does you'll need it.

<b><font color=purple>Details, Details, Its all in the Details, If you need help, Don't leave out the Details.</font color=purple></b>
Related resources
April 24, 2003 6:24:56 AM

press F8 during boot and select load last known good configuration.

==Is a Processor supposed to Smoke Like THAT?===
!