winxp restore point

does anyone know how I can go to a restore point on Windows XP pro when I can't even get into windows XP? Is there some way I can get into DOS or something? I can get to the login screen and try to log in but then it kills me with things saying "windows was unable to write to the file ______. this data has been lost. please try to save it somewhere else". and it tells me to run chkdisk. Does anyone know how I can fix this? I tried doing the f8 thing 3 times (selecting the 2 restore options and the safemode option) but to no avail!
This happened when I did the "windows xp tweak guides 1 and 2" at www.tweakdown.com. thanks
4 answers Last reply
More about winxp restore point
  1. Try going into safe mode at boot up by pressing F8 when you get your first screen.

en Xristos
  2. Put in your WinXP loading CD, and Boot from the CD, like you would do if you were doing a clean install, after it loads all the files and prepares to install, it will take you to a screen with three options, one of those options is a repair option, and if it accepts to do the repair will restore your machine without loosing anything, I believe it might ask for the Administrator Password you put in to install, I don't remember if it asks for the password or not, but if it does you'll need it.

<b><font color=purple>Details, Details, Its all in the Details, If you need help, Don't leave out the Details.</font color=purple></b>
  3. You will need to enter the CD key again if you repair-install.

<A HREF="http://forums.btvillarin.com/index.php?act=ST&f=41&t=326&s=24cd3646ec584db36d180555f4d4e868" target="_new">My PC</A>
  4. press F8 during boot and select load last known good configuration.

==Is a Processor supposed to Smoke Like THAT?===
Ask a new question

Read More

Login Windows XP