XP on a Latitude CPx

I have a Latitude CPx which I recently upgraded.
It is now a CPxJ with 750MHz PIII, 256MB RAM, 30GB disk.

I also recently asked for opinions re. running Windows 2000 or XP on this
machine. Following on from this I decided to install the copy of XP from my
Dimension 8300 onto the Latitude to try it out (prior to getting a legit
copy I might add).
Well, the install didn't work. It seemed to be going nicely but then just
hung at a point saying "registering components" with 13 minutes remaining.
Apparently this is quite a common failure point for XP install.
I tried setting things 'off' in the BIOS, as far as possible but no go.
Talk on this forum suggests that Dell OEM XP disks are only tied to Dell
machines in general, but I wonder if they are in fact tied a little more
closely, perhaps to ranges (Dimension) or something like that?

So, does anyone have any suggestions as to how I might get this install to
work? I'd just like to try XP on the Latitude to see how well (or not) it
works before buying a copy.

Thanks, John
17 answers Last reply
More about latitude

    They're only tied to Dells, so you have some other problem.

    How long did you wait? Let it sit there overnight.

    "John Fryatt" <jrf1@ntlworld.com> wrote in message
    >I have a Latitude CPx which I recently upgraded.
    > It is now a CPxJ with 750MHz PIII, 256MB RAM, 30GB disk.
    >
    > I also recently asked for opinions re. running Windows 2000 or XP on this
    > machine. Following on from this I decided to install the copy of XP from
    > my
    > Dimension 8300 onto the Latitude to try it out (prior to getting a legit
    > copy I might add).
    > Well, the install didn't work. It seemed to be going nicely but then just
    > hung at a point saying "registering components" with 13 minutes remaining.
    > Apparently this is quite a common failure point for XP install.
    > I tried setting things 'off' in the BIOS, as far as possible but no go.
    > Talk on this forum suggests that Dell OEM XP disks are only tied to Dell
    > machines in general, but I wonder if they are in fact tied a little more
    > closely, perhaps to ranges (Dimension) or something like that?
    >
    > So, does anyone have any suggestions as to how I might get this install to
    > work? I'd just like to try XP on the Latitude to see how well (or not) it
    > works before buying a copy.
    >
    > Thanks, John

    "John Fryatt" <jrf1@ntlworld.com> wrote:

    >I have a Latitude CPx which I recently upgraded.
    >It is now a CPxJ with 750MHz PIII, 256MB RAM, 30GB disk.

    I've got it running on a PIII/ 733MHz Dimension. It will run OK
    in 256, but even for basic office-type use, web browsing, email,
    WP, spreadsheets, simple graphics like Power Point, you'll see
    some improvement with 512MB.

    >I also recently asked for opinions re. running Windows 2000 or XP on this
    >machine. Following on from this I decided to install the copy of XP from my
    >Dimension 8300 onto the Latitude to try it out (prior to getting a legit
    >copy I might add).
    >Well, the install didn't work. It seemed to be going nicely but then just
    >hung at a point saying "registering components" with 13 minutes remaining.
    >Apparently this is quite a common failure point for XP install.
    >I tried setting things 'off' in the BIOS, as far as possible but no go.
    >Talk on this forum suggests that Dell OEM XP disks are only tied to Dell
    >machines in general, but I wonder if they are in fact tied a little more
    >closely, perhaps to ranges (Dimension) or something like that?
    >
    >So, does anyone have any suggestions as to how I might get this install to
    >work? I'd just like to try XP on the Latitude to see how well (or not) it
    >works before buying a copy.

    Did you have available and run the Upgrade Advisor

    Check out
    http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/home/upgrading/default.mspx
    http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/pro/upgrading/default.mspx,
    depending on which edition you're talking.

    and in particular the third item on that page:

    Make Sure Your Hardware and Software Are Compatible

    Use the compatibility search tool or download the Upgrade Advisor
    to make sure your system, devices, and software will work with
    Windows XP, and install updates if available.

    The Upgrade Advisor, all 50+ MB of it so it helps if you have a
    BB connection, is available at:

    http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/home/upgrading/advisor.mspx
    http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/pro/upgrading/advisor.mspx

    It might give you an idea of what is hanging up your install,
    e.g., you need to upgrade your bios, or perhaps one of your
    hardware drivers, etc.

    --
    OJ III

    > They're only tied to Dells, so you have some other problem.
    >
    > How long did you wait? Let it sit there overnight.

    About an hour.

    Overnight??? What's it doing all that time?

    Do you think Win 2000 behaves in a similar way?

    Anyone else install XP on a Latitude and have this problem?

    Thanks, John

    Running XP on a CPxH converted to a CPxJ and it works fine -- I went through
    the identical route two years ago (though first to a 650MHz CPU then to a
    850). I did use a retail copy of XP and a full install. However I am
    positive there is no difference between the Dell versions of XP provided for
    desktop and laptop.

    Given what little information you have posted, I would say the more likely
    cause of the problem is either the BIOS (did you upgrade to the latest
    version) or trying an upgrade rather than a full install. I would also
    highly recommend upgrading your memory to the maximum 512MB.

    "Bill Joy" <wcjoy@pacbell.net> wrote in message
    > Running XP on a CPxH converted to a CPxJ and it works fine -- I went
    through
    > the identical route two years ago (though first to a 650MHz CPU then to a
    > 850). I did use a retail copy of XP and a full install. However I am
    > positive there is no difference between the Dell versions of XP provided
    for
    > desktop and laptop.
    >
    > Given what little information you have posted, I would say the more likely
    > cause of the problem is either the BIOS (did you upgrade to the latest
    > version) or trying an upgrade rather than a full install. I would also
    > highly recommend upgrading your memory to the maximum 512MB.

    Thanks Bill, it's useful to know it can be made to work.

    I do have the latest BIOS (A16), and I am doing a fresh install to a new
    partition on the disk.

    I understand what you mean re. memory but I think XP should at least install
    with 256MB.

    > Given what little information you have posted,

    That occurred to me but I can't see what else I should post - any thoughts?

    Hmmm, can't see what else I can do to cure this at the moment.

    John

    > Did you have available and run the Upgrade Advisor

    No. I have put a new drive in the machine and so no OS is currently
    available to run it, except DOS from a floppy.

    > Check out
    > http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/home/upgrading/default.mspx
    > http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/pro/upgrading/default.mspx,
    > depending on which edition you're talking.
    >
    > and in particular the third item on that page:
    >
    > Make Sure Your Hardware and Software Are Compatible
    >
    > Use the compatibility search tool or download the Upgrade Advisor
    > to make sure your system, devices, and software will work with
    > Windows XP, and install updates if available.

    The compatibility search tool yields only a few peripherals, e.g. UPS,
    keyboard, printer, if I search for Dell.

    > The Upgrade Advisor, all 50+ MB of it so it helps if you have a
    > BB connection, is available at:
    >
    > http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/home/upgrading/advisor.mspx
    > http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/pro/upgrading/advisor.mspx
    >
    > It might give you an idea of what is hanging up your install,
    > e.g., you need to upgrade your bios, or perhaps one of your
    > hardware drivers, etc.

    On the face of it I know that XP is compatibile with my Latitude because
    Bill Joy has a similar system and his runs ok (see earlier response). I
    would have to load Win 98 just to run the advisor, which is a bit of a drag.
    Maybe I will though if I can't get any other options to try.

    I am a little confused over this issue of updated drivers though as I am
    installing from scratch, so how can I load drivers before the OS? I want to
    load plain XP then install drivers as needed.

    John

    "John Fryatt" <jrf1@ntlworld.com> wrote:

    >> Did you have available and run the Upgrade Advisor

    >No. I have put a new drive in the machine and so no OS is currently
    >available to run it, except DOS from a floppy.

    My bust - forgot the "don't assume" mantra. ;->

    >The compatibility search tool yields only a few peripherals, e.g. UPS,
    >keyboard, printer, if I search for Dell.

    >On the face of it I know that XP is compatibile with my Latitude because
    >Bill Joy has a similar system and his runs ok (see earlier response). I
    >would have to load Win 98 just to run the advisor, which is a bit of a drag.
    >Maybe I will though if I can't get any other options to try.
    >
    >I am a little confused over this issue of updated drivers though as I am
    >installing from scratch, so how can I load drivers before the OS? I want to
    >load plain XP then install drivers as needed.

    In my case, it identified the need for a new driver for a video
    card I had installed vice the onboard graphics on the desktop
    L733r - bitch finding a newer one, the company had sold out and
    the product line had died. A compatible driver for the base S3

    chip was recommended that worked.

    Told me to upgrade the bios - I didn't and the install went fine,
    and the L733 has been working like a champ under XP for two years
    plus now.

    It was just a thought, though I should have remembered you were
    talking laptop. AIUI, you laptop users aren't quite as ready as
    the desktop guys to play with replacing components on a whim.

    Never mind, I'll go back into my hole quietly, Officer.
    --
    OJ III

    Hi!

    > Talk on this forum suggests that Dell OEM XP disks are only tied to Dell
    > machines in general, but I wonder if they are in fact tied a little more
    > closely, perhaps to ranges (Dimension) or something like that?

    The XP Home OEM disc that I received with my Dimension 8300 installed
    without comment inside VMware. It even took the key number without issue.

    I dunno if it's legal, and I didn't keep it around anyway, but it worked
    just fine.

    Personally, I'd run Win2000 Pro on that machine. Even if it hasn't got all
    the geegaws and doodads that XP has, 2000 Pro is a nice, simple, stable OS
    and probably the best job that Microsoft ever did with Windows.

    William

    My first XP install was using a retail version before SP1 came out. There
    were no problems during the install and all the hardware was recognized.
    Since I have upgraded the software up to SP2 and have never had a problem.
    I am using the CPxJ A16 BIOS too (originally the system was a CPxH 500MHz).

    I was running W2K before doing the upgrades. The power management is not as
    nice, it took longer to boot, and it does not have ClearType. I believe you
    also have to install some drivers if you want to use SpeedStep. (And
    didn't Microsoft recently announced that they were not going to produce the
    equivalent of XP SP2 for W2K?)

    Since you mentioned in another post that your hard drive is new, maybe that
    is the place to start looking. Pull it, check the pins, re-seat it, run
    some diagnostics. For comparision, my drive is a TravelStar 40GNX.

    > Thanks Bill, it's useful to know it can be made to work.
    >
    > I do have the latest BIOS (A16), and I am doing a fresh install to a new
    > partition on the disk.
    >
    > I understand what you mean re. memory but I think XP should at least
    > install
    > with 256MB.
    >
    >> Given what little information you have posted,
    >
    > That occurred to me but I can't see what else I should post - any
    > thoughts?
    >
    > Hmmm, can't see what else I can do to cure this at the moment.
    >
    > John

    Hi!

    > (And
    > didn't Microsoft recently announced that they were not going to produce
    the
    > equivalent of XP SP2 for W2K?)

    MS has stated that while Windows 2000 will be supported in some way until
    2010 at the earliest, that they would not release an SP5 for it. Even if
    they did, I don't know what version of IE would be provided with it.
    Historically W2K has had an IE 5.01 SPx included in the service packs.

    I'd be VERY surprised if they didn't end up doing so. Given how many
    security updates are likely to come out in that time, I can only imagine
    that things would end up getting very maddening.

    Of course, maybe that's what Microsoft wants to have happen.

    William

    Both Flavours of XP work fine on any Latitude, and it always sticks at the
    same point 13 minutes registering componants , even on brand new 3.2 gig
    machines its just the length of time it takes to write that particulat piece
    of data, I regularly install XP on Lat CPi 300 meg machines running 64 meg
    of RAM and they are fine (although a little slow booting ) and they stick at
    13 mins for about 2/3 hours
    "William R. Walsh" <newsgroups1@saveyourspam.walshcomptech.com> wrote in
    message news:iHpvd.255919$R05.124315@attbi_s53...
    > Hi!
    >
    >> Talk on this forum suggests that Dell OEM XP disks are only tied to Dell
    >> machines in general, but I wonder if they are in fact tied a little more
    >> closely, perhaps to ranges (Dimension) or something like that?
    >
    > The XP Home OEM disc that I received with my Dimension 8300 installed
    > without comment inside VMware. It even took the key number without issue.
    >
    > I dunno if it's legal, and I didn't keep it around anyway, but it worked
    > just fine.
    >
    > Personally, I'd run Win2000 Pro on that machine. Even if it hasn't got all
    > the geegaws and doodads that XP has, 2000 Pro is a nice, simple, stable OS
    > and probably the best job that Microsoft ever did with Windows.
    >
    > William

    In article <tAfvd.23$kC6.12@newsfe5-win.ntli.net>, jrf1@ntlworld.com
    says...

    > I have a Latitude CPx which I recently upgraded.
    > It is now a CPxJ with 750MHz PIII, 256MB RAM, 30GB disk.
    >
    > I also recently asked for opinions re. running Windows 2000 or XP on this
    > machine. Following on from this I decided to install the copy of XP from my
    > Dimension 8300 onto the Latitude to try it out (prior to getting a legit
    > copy I might add).
    > Well, the install didn't work. It seemed to be going nicely but then just
    > hung at a point saying "registering components" with 13 minutes remaining.

    <snippety>

    Why am I so not surprised?

    Save yourself from experiencing a lot of X(tra) P(ain). Dump XP,
    use 2000.

    Happy tweaking.

    kyrrin (a/t) bluefeathertech[d=o=t]calm -- www.bluefeathertech.com
    with surreal ports?"

    On Tue, 14 Dec 2004 17:59:39 -0800, Dr. Anton T. Squeegee
    <SpammersAreVermin@dev.null> wrote:

    <XP install problems>

    > Why am I so not surprised?
    >
    > Save yourself from experiencing a lot of X(tra) P(ain). Dump XP,
    >use 2000.

    To steal a quote - 'No generalization is worth a damn. Not even this
    one.'

    Maybe not so in this case, but there are many situations where XP is
    needed - to be able to do things that W2000 can't do. Client-server
    EFS is a good example. There are others. XP home edition is just
    fine and dandy for the majority of regular home users. IMHFO, of
    course.
    --
    Dan Drake

    XP Pro (sans any service packs) installed perfectly on my CPxJ 650 with no
    additional drivers needed for internal devices.

    Stew

    "Dr. Anton T. Squeegee" <SpammersAreVermin@dev.null> wrote in message
    > In article <tAfvd.23$kC6.12@newsfe5-win.ntli.net>, jrf1@ntlworld.com
    > says...
    >
    > > I have a Latitude CPx which I recently upgraded.
    > > It is now a CPxJ with 750MHz PIII, 256MB RAM, 30GB disk.
    > >
    > > I also recently asked for opinions re. running Windows 2000 or XP on
    this
    > > machine. Following on from this I decided to install the copy of XP from
    my
    > > Dimension 8300 onto the Latitude to try it out (prior to getting a legit
    > > copy I might add).
    > > Well, the install didn't work. It seemed to be going nicely but then
    just
    > > hung at a point saying "registering components" with 13 minutes
    remaining.

    > <snippety>
    >
    > Why am I so not surprised?
    >
    > Save yourself from experiencing a lot of X(tra) P(ain). Dump XP,
    > use 2000.
    >
    > Happy tweaking.

    Well, it's working now, and runs quite nicely. One feature of XP I hadn't
    considered but is actually quite good is Clear Type. Makes text on my LCD
    screen quite noticeably cleaner. Thanks Bill, for mentioning it.
    Now I just have to load up some apps and give it a more thorough test. And
    maybe get some more RAM. :-)

    In article <hu6vr0143p6hreijvn71rtbq0udqt599sf@4ax.com>,
    ddrake@comcast.notthis.net says...

    > On Tue, 14 Dec 2004 17:59:39 -0800, Dr. Anton T. Squeegee
    > <SpammersAreVermin@dev.null> wrote:
    >
    > <XP install problems>
    >
    > > Why am I so not surprised?
    > >
    > > Save yourself from experiencing a lot of X(tra) P(ain). Dump XP,
    > >use 2000.
    >
    > To steal a quote - 'No generalization is worth a damn. Not even this
    > one.'

    I'm sorry you feel that way. In any case, it was not a
    generalization per se. My statements are based on what I know of XP,
    having dealt with it a time or two and disliked how it worked, AND how
    much of a memory and resource hog it was (more so even than NT4 or W2K).

    The continuing decline in the cost of such resources is NO excuse
    for bloated coding! Never has been, never will be.

    > Maybe not so in this case, but there are many situations where XP is
    > needed - to be able to do things that W2000 can't do. Client-server
    > EFS is a good example. There are others. XP home edition is just

    What is "client-server EFS?" I've never heard of it. A Google
    search turned up nothing. What is it useful (or not) for?

    > fine and dandy for the majority of regular home users. IMHFO, of
    > course.

    <shrug> Perhaps so. W2K has always struck me as the "power users"
    OS of choice, perhaps not so friendly to Joe SixPack or Jane SoccerMom.

    I'm still not convinced that XP should be the exclusive choice for
    newly-acquired machines.

    Keep the peace(es).

    kyrrin (a/t) bluefeathertech[d=o=t]calm -- www.bluefeathertech.com
    with surreal ports?"

    On Thu, 16 Dec 2004 18:39:26 -0800, Dr. Anton T. Squeegee
    <SpammersAreVermin@dev.null> wrote:

    > What is "client-server EFS?" I've never heard of it. A Google
    >search turned up nothing. What is it useful (or not) for?

    Try googling "encrypted file system."
    --
    Dan Drake

Dell Latitude Windows XP Computers