How to restore the windows media player 12 mp3 icon

cubicriot

Distinguished
Jun 10, 2010
Hello,
I recently installed a tag editor for mp3 files, and I lost the default mp3 icon for WMP 12. I can associate with other media programs, but when associating with Windows Media Player I have no icon. It's not a major problem, but I would like to have my mp3 icon back.
Any help would be appreciated.

mibix19

Distinguished
Go to Start \ Programs. Right click media player and select properties.You will see 'change icon' click it and select the one you want. You can set the default player for your files by going to Start \ Default programs \ Set default programs. You can associate a file eg. MP3 by going to Start \ Default programs \ Associate a file type

cubicriot

Distinguished
Jun 10, 2010

I'm sorry, I was missing a word in the previous message. I meant to say that I lost the default MP3 icon, not the wmp icon.

mibix19

Distinguished
Sometimes if you install a program, this program hijacks your previous Mp3 settings. Right click an Mp3 icon, choose properties . In the window you will see 'This program Opens with' Click on change and select the program whose icon you want to show for the files.Your files will now all have the icon you want. If there is the option to tick the box 'use this program for all files of this type' tick it. You will still be able to use any program to play the Mp3 files.

firetooth

Distinguished
Jun 13, 2010
Guys, he said that he installed a tag editor and lost the MP3 icon ((((WHEN ASSOCIATED WITH)))) wmp, not the wmp icon. When using any other media player he has the default MP3 icon (((((FOR THAT MEDIA PLAYER))))).

Is there a way to perhaps, restore the icon from the registry, or to reinstall for Windows Media Player 12 to bring the icon back? or can he just downgrade to 11?