Sign in with
Your question

Ill never listen to this group again

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
March 21, 2003 10:50:53 PM

I have been a fan of Nvidia for so long ever since having such problems with my first and only Ati card, a Rage Pro. Since then Ive used everything Nvidia puts out, MX420, MX440, Ti4200 and the Nforce2 motherboard chipset. NEVER had a problem with anything.

Members on this board swayed me to go to Ati with my next video card purchase bceause Nvidia could not keep up. I said fine, maybe I can switch sides.

Boy do I regret it. For weeks now my 9700 Pro, $299, has not played one game. 10 seconds into any game and the computer locks up. Later analysis says "infinite loop" encountered. Disabling fastwrites and 8X lets me play longer, until about 45 seconds.

nvidia completely uninstalled, and all Ati drivers are up to date. No over clocking or anything. PSU = 400W.

Plain and simple, Ati = Crap. Tomorrow I will get attempt to get a refund on my 9700 Pro if the problem does not miraculously fix itself tonight, and buy something of more value, like a Ti4600. Because benchmarks mean NOTHING when you cant even play anything.

And Im not alone. The majority of 9700 and 9700 Pro owners experiance this. Do a search on dejanews or something, its pathetic Ati is even in the market of high end cards anymore.

I should write an apology letter to Nvidia.

More about : ill listen group

a b U Graphics card
March 21, 2003 10:56:39 PM

Actually the majority of 9700/9700 Pro owners have no problems whatsoever. But those who do complain LOUDLY.

<font color=blue>Watts mean squat if you don't have quality!</font color=blue>
March 21, 2003 11:12:37 PM

I know it's sucks to have hardware that doesn't want to work as expected, but for others like me who have zero problems with the card it's pretty darn good.

Kind of pathetic that we have to research everything before buying to make sure it will work with other parts of the system, just following advertisings of some toys is like a suicide run. One board like the 8x video card the other doesn't (even though they do advertise 8x agp), one like this brand of ram and the other likes another. No wonder some people rather buy a pre built setup with some brand name on it, but even them join the nightmare most of the time.

It just sucks, even more when it's you. Once you get something running dandy just stick with it till you have to change because there is no choice.

Hope you can return it and get the GeForce, better luck next time.

<b><font color=blue>Press 1 if you want to be on hold, 2 for disconnect, 3 for a representative who will put you on hold before disconnecting.</font color=blue></b>
Related resources
March 21, 2003 11:17:06 PM

Thanks..

I just wanted to sorry I sounded harsh in my first post. Im not mad at the group here, Im mad for leaving my common belief that Nvidia is the best. I just got caught up in the benchmarks and forgot about the other important things...

I love the group here, youve all answered alot of questions, just really frustrated right now....
March 22, 2003 12:43:14 AM

Don't be frustrated. Have you tried getting in touch with ATI at all? Have you checked their site for ideas? Have you tried updating your BIOS? I had problems with games locking and things like that in the past. Updating everything helped it all, especially the BIOS. Also make sure your BIOS settings are correct. The defaults rarely are.

I hate to see someone get mad when they get a great piece of hardware and can't get it to work, and then have to settle on garbage like the FX series.

XP 2500+ Barton
A7N8X Dlx
2x512MB Corsair PC3200
ATI 9700 Pro
16x DVD-ROM
2x80GB 7200RPM Maxtor
Onboard audio
March 22, 2003 12:46:21 AM

Yes Im sorry for my words. I love this group! Just hate these problems....

BIOS is updated. Havent tried to get in touch with Ati since everyone else who has says they get worthless answers. A threat at hardwareanalysis.com about this 9700 pro problem started in November, to this day its still going. Nothing solved yet....

I figured it was a heat a problem. I put fans all around and underclocked the card, only to have it hang even faster than normal. *sigh*
March 22, 2003 12:53:56 AM

Now let us assess a few things.
Infinite loop, are you using Windows XP?
If so, does it cause a blue screen? Infinite loops used to happen on nVidia cards in the past, where the module nv4_disp.dll would hang (just so you know that nVidia is not crash-free).
The problem lied in the drivers, and a possible VIA relation (though it seemed SiS owners had it). I had not had the problem since the recent drivers.
What is the module that is being the culprit when the crashes occur?
I'd hate to see you return such an awesome card, when you could've asked all of us, including the Windows forums here, for help, and which, chances are, ATi support aside, we'd have helped you up and running.

I urge you to rethink your return at the moment, not when we can provide you with some help. Best thing you could do is that if you have an old card, put it in to play some games, and at the same time, diagnose your card.

I'd like you to start by giving me what I asked you at the beginning of my post, as I feel maybe this is a common thing.
Additionally have you tried formatting? Removing the drivers from nVidia does not guarantee they are all gone.

--
This post is brought to you by Eden, on a Via Eden, in the garden of Eden. :smile:
March 22, 2003 12:59:36 AM

Thanks for your reply.

The reason I gave up so easily is everyone Ive read with the problem had had no luck fixing it. And if they have had luck, its things that have not worked for me...

But to answer your questions,

Yes infinite loop in WinXP. Its happening with ati2dvag.dll, which is the same .dll that the majority of others are reporting.

No blue screen. Screen used to freeze whatever was on the game screen, though the last few tries it has simply gone black.

Most of the time booting back into windows brings nothing up, but the last few times, or random times, it has brought up the "Report to Microsoft blah blah Radeon 9700 Pro appears to have caused a problem".

Ive read about what you said, the VIA motherboard problems... Thats where the majority lies. Im on nforce2 though.

Im reluctant to reformat as all the posts Ive read at hardwareanalysis.com say reformatting and fressh installs have not helped at all...

Thanks!
March 22, 2003 1:14:15 AM

My Gigabyte Radeon 9000 works 100% flawlessly. My specs.- 1 GHz Duron, MSI K7N420 Pro, 2 x 128 MB = 256 MB PC2100 DDR @ PC1600 2.0-2-2-6, Windows 2000 Pro, nForce driver 2.03, Catalyst 3.2

I was bit nervous before going with ATI, since I have no experience with ATI chip based cards and Gigabyte cards, plus keeping their past driver issues in mind. But everything seems OK now.

Do you have latest service pack installed for your OS? Use nForce drivers 2.03 and Catalyst 3.2, then see what happens

You can also do a clean Windows installation
<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by Spitfire_x86 on 03/21/03 10:16 PM.</EM></FONT></P>
March 22, 2003 1:27:23 AM

You should not however rely on others' relatively NON-EXACT system configs and their problems to deduct if yours will be redundant.

Can you find the properties of the dll file? nv4_disp.dll was the display driver module for nVidia drivers for example.
Also, ATi's service has been world renowned, just so you know. Many have RMAed their cards, hassle-free and got a replacement within short time. Many claim ATi has one of the best support for hardware in fact. I can't attest to that, but many here can.
Again, have patience. Do NOT let the hardware control you. YOU control it, and YOU can fix it. Don't run away from this problem, because it'll only make your future clouded in regards to anything from this company, and it only makes you fear more than experience. I know that because of past experience, and I know for one, I will not let the hardware win!

Back to your problem. Would your computer suddenly reboot sometimes, in games?
Additionally, try to bring more info from the crash reports.
Another thing, run programs like Norton WinDoctor, RegCleaner, and let them find all unused registry keys, and have them fix them or remove them. Maybe it might help clean crash-keys from the old nVidia drivers.
I do think that if:
-You format
-You flash the BIOS to the latest version
-You reinstall WindowsXP with SP1
-You install the latest chipset drivers, OR even try older ones
-Update all other drivers to their utmost max. Try as much to get the manufacturer's drivers, not Microsoft Windows Update's.

You should not be running into anymore problems. Your PSU is more than enough, and PSUs are often the suspect when computers randomly reboot.

--
This post is brought to you by Eden, on a Via Eden, in the garden of Eden. :smile:
March 22, 2003 1:28:31 AM

Yes all windows updates installed.........

Im still trying.

I have a question. Can I use a seperate poer supply for the radeon only?

As you know the radeon requires a direct power line to the power supply. I was wondering if I should trying my extra 200W power supply for the 9700pro only. But, theres no way to turn the power supply on since the only way is for it to be connected to the motherboard and the motherboard gets powered on... Any way to power on a PSU not connected to anything but the vid card?
March 22, 2003 1:38:11 AM

This is all the info I have:

//
// Watchdog Event Log File
//

LogType: Watchdog
Created: 2002-01-05 18:55:01
TimeZone: 420 - US Mountain Standard Time
WindowsVersion: XP
EventType: 0xEA - Thread Stuck in Device Driver

//
// The driver for the display device got stuck in an infinite loop. This
// usually indicates a problem with the device itself or with the device
// driver programming the hardware incorrectly. Please check with your
// display device vendor for any driver updates.
//

EaRecovery: 1
ShutdownCount: 74
Shutdown: 0
EventCount: 10
BreakCount: 10
BugcheckTriggered: 1
DebuggerNotPresent: 1
DriverName: ati2dvag.dll
EventFlag: 1
DeviceClass: Display
DeviceDescription: RADEON 9700 PRO
HardwareID: PCI\VEN_1002&DEV_4E44&SUBSYS_9A081509&REV_00
Manufacturer: ATI Technologies Inc.
DriverFixedFileInfo: FEEF04BD 00010000 0006000E 000118A3 0006000E 000118A3 0000003F 00000008 00040004 00000003 00000004 00000000 00000000
DriverCompanyName: ATI Technologies Inc.
DriverFileDescription: ATI Radeon WindowsNT Display Driver
DriverFileVersion: 6.14.01.6307
DriverInternalName: ati2dvag.dll
DriverLegalCopyright: Copyright (C) 1998-2002 ATI Technologies Inc.
DriverOriginalFilename: ati2dvag.dll
DriverProductName: ATI Radeon Family
DriverProductVersion: 5.1.2600.0

The computer doesnt reboot on its own, it freezes and I have to hit reset. I really dont know much else to tell... I really appreciate all the help though.
I dont expect Ati to help much, but I filled out the RMA form
March 22, 2003 1:52:28 AM

Hmm, this sounds like a driver issue indeed.
What I would suggest at the moment for now, is to revert to Catalyst 3, or basically the initial Radeon 9700PRO Catalysts.

What is your motherboard?

Have you tried personally contacting ATi? They offer a free first month phone support, last I checked. Maybe you can catch that, if it exists. Also it has not been a long time since you got the card, barely 2 weeks if I can remember your primary thread for a video card upgrade, so you still got time to find ways to solve your problem.

--
March 22, 2003 1:55:57 AM

I also must suggest a clean reformat. What has worked for me in the past is to back up everything I need, low-level format the hard drive (takes about an hour per 10gb) and reinstall everything. In my experience, that has cleaned up more than one error (including switching mobo's).

Also, try some of the "tweaked" drivers floating around out there, from site like rage3d and omega. They could cure your ails. Seriously, don't give up your card. You will only be disappointed by nVidia.

XP 2500+ Barton
A7N8X Dlx
2x512MB Corsair PC3200
ATI 9700 Pro
16x DVD-ROM
2x80GB 7200RPM Maxtor
Onboard audio
March 22, 2003 2:35:51 AM

The title of this thread still really erks me....sorry, and then to go all wishy washy and say "I really like you guy's" ticks me off even more...the fact that people are still trying to help you says great things about this forum, it's really an awsome place. But me, personally, I cant help anybody who cant think a little bit for themselves, or who put's the blame on others when things dont go right.

Pic's of me and my PC...<A HREF="http://www.lochel.com/THGC/html/Genetic_Weapon.html" target="_new">http://www.lochel.com/THGC/html/Genetic_Weapon.html&lt;/A>
March 22, 2003 3:17:25 AM

Eden, i had that exact same problem with my ti4400 for a while, but not just for anything, and no games caused it. only a couple things caused it, one of which was if i tried to play ANY movie using windows media player.
the problem was fixed after a clean reinstall of windows (not total format, but everything was deleted and reinstalled, including drivers). this was on my old kt266a board, if that had anything to do with it.

But i also got blue screens for a while, the culprit of which i later found out was my power supply (350w). i had a 7000rpm dragon orb3 and 6 case fans (not including 2 psu fans) and the rest of my junk all on the 3.3/5.5v line (maybe im saying that wrong, but in a power supply there are 2 main/seperate lines or whatever, one goes to the motherboard, the other goes to everything else) seemed like all this was overloading that line only, when i plugged the dragon orb into my mobo, problem was solved.

so, format ur HD, or do as i did and delete everything possible including ur vid card drivers, and reinstall windows then reinstall everything. or it could be your power supply, i know its 400w but maybe its messed up

ATI is the king now deal with it, grow up and realize that this is an isolated incident, i dont care if a thousand people have posted teh same problem on that thread, because theres 10 million cards out there that DO work!
so grow up!

Long live ATI.
March 22, 2003 3:26:25 AM

not that this will fix your problem...
but yes you can use a different power supply for the radeon only, and u dont have to plug it into a mobo.
there are two wires on the big ATX connector that if you cross (touch each with a paperclip, you only need to touch them once while the power supplies plugged in and turned on in the back and it will work, to turn it off just touch them again)
i cant tell you exactly which to contacts do it, ull have to find that part out.

Long live ATI.
March 22, 2003 3:26:45 AM

not that this will fix your problem...
but yes you can use a different power supply for the radeon only, and u dont have to plug it into a mobo.
there are two wires on the big ATX connector that if you cross (touch each with a paperclip, you only need to touch them once while the power supply's plugged in and turned on in the back and it will work, to turn it off just touch them again)
i cant tell you exactly which two contacts do it, ull have to find that part out.

Long live ATI.
March 22, 2003 3:32:24 AM

I agree. I bought an 8500 and installed it. It kept giving me BSODs. I tried every Bios for mobo, diff drivers for mobo, all Ati drivers. Formatted three times and finally I called ATI Tech Support. The Tech went through my sytem configuration and everything I'd tried and finally concluded that something in my system (SB Live sound card maybee) was the culprit. He suggested that I get a 9700 but when I told him it was out of my price range he said my best bet would be a GF4 Ti4200 ( I followed his advice).

What it boils down to is compatibility. All systems are different and sometimes there is no "miraculous fix". I was greatly impressed with the ATI Tech support. Even more so when he suggested I try an Nvidia based card. He understood that I could not afford a 9700 and that the next best thing (in my price range) was the GF4. Now that's professional. I may purchase and ATI at a later date. Who knows. But I can't blame ATI for my system configuration.

The aim of military training is not just to prepare men for battle, but to make them long for it. <A HREF="http://forums.btvillarin.com/index.php?act=ST&f=41&t=32..." target="_new"><b>MY SYSTEM</b></A>
March 22, 2003 5:17:31 AM

That didnt help, like y0ou said, but it sure did let me know what matters, thats its possible to use a seperate power supply.

Unfortunately, I dont think its power....

Ok I kinda do.

I plugged in an extra fan tonight and I was getting hangups ALL THE TIME in windows. unplugged the extra fan and its back to hangups in early part of games only.

I wouldnt get my hopes up though that the game hangs are related to power though...

I unplugged everything but needed things, hang happened at same time. I just want to say THANKS for all your help. Nothings fixed, though my optimism and hopes sure are high.
March 22, 2003 10:39:19 AM

Are you using the A7N8X? If so the problem could be mobo related. Could you try your GC in a different system. My friend had exactly the same problem as you with the R9700 Pro and A7N8X. He then tried the card in my MSI 745 Ultra mobo and it worked perfectly. Hes borrowing my GF4 Ti4200 for a few days until he can find out what exactly the problem is.

<A HREF="http://service.futuremark.com/compare?2k1=5467618 " target="_new">Almost Breaking 12k!!</A>
March 22, 2003 11:32:29 AM

I hope you sort this problem out, but being a 'fan' of anyone doesn't really help at all.

I have used several different ATi and Nvidia cards during the last few years, but none of them have ever given me any trouble. Faulty hardware is rare; either your problem is software related or you are just one of the unlucky people who got a faulty card. However, saying 'ATi=crap' doesn't help anyone (ditto for Nvidia. The standard FX [not ultra] isn't crap either; it just isn't as quick as the latest ATi cards)

This ATi vs Nvidia thing never ceases to amaze me; just buy the best card you can afford and don't let previous purchases influence your judgement. I'm happy with my card atm (Gigabyte R9000 Pro), but I may start thinking about an upgrade when NV35 turns up. However, I won't be writing letters of apology to anyone.
March 22, 2003 12:43:44 PM

Hi, guys! Nice to talk with you!!!

I've got EXACTLY the same problem as you, hineigger! I think the mobo doesn't matter, i've got the new Granite Bay (E7205)-Chipset and my system freezes not reproducible sometimes in games, mostly in RealOne Player or Media Player, sometimes under "normal" Windows (XP)-Use.
Changed everything in bios, tried every available driver - no luck... BTW, PSU is at 400 W, should also be enough, RAM is 1 Gb Infineon, and here is the error message (looks familiar, hineigger, doesn't it ;) ?

//
// Watchdog Event Log File
//

LogType: Watchdog
Created: 2003-03-22 14:37:53
TimeZone: -60 - Westeuropäische Normalzeit
WindowsVersion: XP
EventType: 0xEA - Thread Stuck in Device Driver

//
// The driver for the display device got stuck in an infinite loop. This
// usually indicates a problem with the device itself or with the device
// driver programming the hardware incorrectly. Please check with your
// display device vendor for any driver updates.
//

ShutdownCount: 83
Shutdown: 0
EventCount: 20
BreakCount: 20
BugcheckTriggered: 1
DebuggerNotPresent: 1
DriverName: ati2dvag
EaRecovery: 1
EventFlag: 1
DeviceClass: Display
DeviceDescription: RADEON 9700 PRO
HardwareID: PCI\VEN_1002&DEV_4E44&SUBSYS_00021002&REV_00
Manufacturer: ATI Technologies Inc.
DriverFixedFileInfo: FEEF04BD 00010000 0006000E 000118A3 0006000E 000118A3 0000003F 00000008 00040004 00000003 00000004 00000000 00000000
DriverCompanyName: ATI Technologies Inc.
DriverFileDescription: ATI Radeon WindowsNT Display Driver
DriverFileVersion: 6.14.01.6307
DriverInternalName: ati2dvag.dll
DriverLegalCopyright: Copyright (C) 1998-2002 ATI Technologies Inc.
DriverOriginalFilename: ati2dvag.dll
DriverProductName: ATI Radeon Family
DriverProductVersion: 5.1.2600.0

I hope, someone could help us, it seems like it's a weel-known problem, nvidia had the problems - now it's ATI's turn......

Thanks in advance!!!

Uhh, I forgot: formating the disc didn't fix the problem, EVERY AVAILABLE fix (including SP1) for XP is installed!

Snake

<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by snapli on 03/22/03 09:48 AM.</EM></FONT></P>
March 22, 2003 12:53:04 PM

What I would recommend, is, aside from RMAing the card, to try a clean reinstall, and play directly once you have installed Windows, that is with no drivers other than the Catalysts.
Then gradually install things, and test.

It could be faulty card as well, I mean, my friend's R9500PRO P4 2.4GHZ system is rock solid and had no problem when switching from geForce 2.

Do consider ATi tech support first. The end resort is indeed to just return the card for an nVidia, so, in either way, you'll get what you initially wanted to do, ONLY if no one could help you out.
Try them out yall. And most of all, try the cards at other friends' houses.
Try removing PCI cards, disable sound cards, use on-board sound. Try different combinations. One may be the culprit.

--
March 22, 2003 12:54:47 PM

There is a special dual power supply mod out there. My dude at school did it, I've seen it in action.

All you need is some modding, and in the end, when you turn on the comp, both PSUs turn on.

Do a search online, you should find it. I think Svol, a known user around the forums, has done it and you can ask him for help!
Like I said though, try the card in another system.

--
March 22, 2003 1:06:54 PM

I could agree that ATI has less satisfied customers than Nvidia. Why, I don´t know, maybe Nvidia has a better Q&A department. But saying this...
Quote:
The majority of 9700 and 9700 Pro owners experiance this

... is just bullshit.

I can´t stand it when Nvidia fanboys get an ATI card and then jump ship at the first sight of a problem.

Okay, now that I got the steam out of me...

Even though this smells of a driver-issue, what brand is your PSU? 400W should be well enough, but if the power suply is faulty or just a low quality one, that doesn´t help.

<font color=red>I´m starting to feel like a real computer consultant.</font color=red>
March 22, 2003 2:28:00 PM

Im on an Msi K7N2... Ive talked to others at an Msi board who have this board working with a 9700 Pro... THat gives me a little hope, I guess.
March 22, 2003 2:29:42 PM

Well, I dont know if its good or bad to see someone with the same problem :)  Though Ive seen alot at hardwareanalysis.com.

Check out this link, http://www.hardwareanalysis.com/content/topic/3153/ .

Theres some people there that have fixed it with small changes, but nothing has worked for the majority. Maybe yours can be cured though.
March 22, 2003 2:42:58 PM

Gee, I wish I had a 9700, my Ti 4400 is getting old fast. A while back I got a GF2 Ultra card that took me several attempts before I got it to work right, I even had it in the box ready to send back, but my last attempt work. So I found if you stick with it you can get most anything to work.

I’m a BIOS Man, I blame the BIOS for everything, well not everything, but it does play an important port, one setting can change your world.

When you feel that reality does not suit you, live a fantasy life.
March 22, 2003 4:40:35 PM

I think that I have isolated the problem...

What DirectX-version do you use, H.?

Snake
March 22, 2003 5:35:12 PM

Logically, based on the fact he uses a DirectX 9 card, you would expect, he uses DX 9!

--
March 22, 2003 5:38:09 PM

Yeah, that can be true. Sometimes it's all about a small memory timing change, that can make the difference. Setting BIOS to defaults after flashing, then configuring can help.

FastWrites should always be disabled, so as Side-Band Addressing. Setting AGP aperture to 256 can help if the card has 128MB RAM. Also, trying to run without Dual Channel DDR on the nForce 2 may help, just like lowering the memory speeds to PC2100 CAS 2.5.
Point is, there are so many things, and we should definitly not give up yet.

--
March 22, 2003 5:39:23 PM

Not directed to you personally only, but the guy had apologized later on, so please yall, stop yelling at him for his initial harsh post!

--
March 22, 2003 5:55:47 PM

DX 9, though Ive heard DX8 not working either.
March 22, 2003 6:10:33 PM

Can you try some of the tips I mentioned in my reply to Jiffy (which were anyways directed to you or anyone with video problems)?

It's a good thing we're all trying here, we may as well find the cure for many others!

--
March 22, 2003 6:11:35 PM

I asked you because of this:

I have an application, which immediately leads to an "infinite loop" at start. When I move the "hardware acceleration" (in the display-settings) to it's third position (from the left), so that most DirectX-funtions are disabled, the appl. runs!

So, there has to be a linkage between the DirectX-drivers and the ATI-driver. Meanwhile I tried DirectX 8.1 myself, instead of 9 - same result... So, I can't play a game with DirectX disabled and I can't do it when it's enabled, because my system crashes most of the time!

What is the solution (except throwing whe hole thing out of the window... ;-))???

Snake
March 22, 2003 6:18:05 PM

I tried all of that, fsatwrites and slower memory timings.
March 22, 2003 6:19:06 PM

Me too... :( 
March 22, 2003 6:41:59 PM

One thing I know of, from ATi, is that you can send the bug report to the Catalyst Crew. Ever since David Stelmack's article on ATi Mojo Day, ATi has created a bug report group that works on the drivers, and reads every single report from you, and checks what they can do. Submit yours if you haven't, and then contatct Customer Care while you are still able to for free.

--
March 22, 2003 7:44:23 PM

A fresh install can't hurt. It might not solve your problem, but then again it might. Either way it's not going to hurt you.

<font color=red>GOD</font color=red> <font color=blue>BLESS</font color=blue> <font color=red>AMERICA</font color=red>
March 22, 2003 8:35:56 PM

I agree.
Additionally, like I said, it could be any other device conflicting. Trying to run WindowsXP with very few programs loaded can help diagnose.

--
March 23, 2003 3:21:49 AM

boy this is getting me a little nervous.
i hope i dont have a problem with my 9800 pro.

Long live ATI.
March 23, 2003 3:45:24 AM

Have you tried the Omega drivers?

*Dual PIII-800 @900 i440BX and Tualeron 1.2 @1.74 i815*
March 23, 2003 4:25:13 AM

What drivers do you mean???

BTW, a "clean" install has been done --- three times ;-) It's just always the same...

Snake
March 23, 2003 10:29:46 AM

How about fresh-installing another OS? If you happen to have something like Win98 lying around you could try that. I know, seems like a long shot, but I would try anything before returning a nice card like that.

<font color=red>I´m starting to feel like a real computer consultant.</font color=red>
March 23, 2003 11:05:30 AM

I don't want to return that card, I'm really impressed by it's power! But the problem that occurs on many different platforms (chipsets etc.) should not force me to install another OS! As I read in another forum, some Nvidia-cards showing the same failure could be fixed by adding a single line in the registry. That didn't work in my case, but I'm looking for a fix like that or a better driver from ATI...

BTW, I told them the problem, H., you should do so, too (mention "infinite loop")!

Snake

Oh, thanks for your suggestions and hints, even if they didn't fix the bug so far, it is nice that you support us!!!
March 23, 2003 3:17:07 PM

What's wrong with Nvidia FX series ?
March 23, 2003 4:19:30 PM

Over-priced and under-powered. Does that mean anything to you?

XP 2500+ Barton
A7N8X Dlx
2x512MB Corsair PC3200
ATI 9700 Pro
16x DVD-ROM
2x80GB 7200RPM Maxtor
Onboard audio
March 23, 2003 6:06:33 PM

Your right. Waiting to see if and when they fix their problem. If I upgrade my card at the end of the year. I'll see whats out then. TI 4200
!