QOTD: Did You Ever Fry Your PC by Overclocking?

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Schnoz

Distinguished
Sep 17, 2008
No, but my new Q9400 is coming in the mail today so we'll see. Shooting for 4GHz. Right now I'm still running an E2160 at 3.2GHz.

daft

Distinguished
Mar 30, 2008
i have, but it was a case of underclocking believe it or not. old celeron 750 on a cuw-am mobo. i smell something burning, turn it off, take off the HSF and what do you know, melted silicon on the HSF

mcnuggetofdeath

Distinguished
Oct 9, 2008
Pentium D 820

Intel says 1.40 volts is safe, but i ran it 24/7 for a year at 3.91GHz with a voltage of 1.44 and now the max overclock i can get with that voltage is 3.8Ghz so damaged the CPU but not fried.
Once had it as high as 4.16GHz at that voltage but wont go back there anymore.
http://valid.canardpc.com/show_oc.php?id=424242

Biostar P43

The usb controller on the board literally melted, no reason it shouldve but my friends insist it was because i had the voltage to the northbridge cranked up there too. Again, shouldn't have happened anyway. But Biostar was nice about an RMA even though i didn't have a receipt anymore. New version of that board has a Core 2 Duo running at 4.1GHz 24/7 with an intel safe 1.36 volts ( i've learned not to overvolt )
http://valid.canardpc.com/show_oc.php?id=480253 E7400 @ 4.25

tommysch

Distinguished
Sep 6, 2008
Not yet, and that is not because i havent tried. Ive seen a friend who forgot to unplug his CPU while filling his liquid cooling loop... It didnt even burned, thx god we didnt OCed it yet.

waikano

Distinguished
Feb 13, 2008
Never Burnt it completely but had a K6II 450 that I shortened it's life, had it running over ~533 for about 6 months....then one day...No Go. Was fun while it lasted.

G

My mate strapped a massive heasink to a fx5700le and overclocked it by a massive 55%, it was a tempory fix that worked so well he left it like that, till oneday the heat corroded the elastics used and they failed, it went up in smoke in a few secomds lol, I told him he should have glued the heatsink to the GPU more permanently, shame, that card rocked at the time overclocked like a beast

judeh101

Distinguished
Nov 27, 2008
My core 2 duo needed more and more voltage over the months, It used to be 1.47V for 3.2GHz with 400MHz FSB, now it would need 1.53V.
And I've fried a Northwood P4, which suffered the SNDS (Sudden Northwood Death Syndrome)by being stupid and fed 1.8V to it, died in less than a week.
However, other system's that I have overclocked didn't go bad so far. So I'd say, if you overclock too aggressively, it will damage the components, but if you overclock mildly, it shouldn't make much difference in the life of the CPU.

all i loose is motherboards - my Q6600 has seen 2 motherboards with the same faults (my new one is showing it now) - cold start issues - the morning start for the first ~3 minutes is unstable yet if i pause it in the bios for a minute or two it will be fine and work aok

My original ASUS P5B-Deluxe/Wifi-App did it, now my Gigabyte EP35-DS3P is doing it but a touch more v's seems to help (chipset, fsb both +0.1v helps)

Video cards are easy to cook, AMD processors are also easy to cook, Intel's survive all sorts and survive.

halcyon

Splendid
Nope, I've done a bit of overclocking, but nothing stupid...nothing more than 1.5Ghz over...and never fried anything or killed any of my rigs or my customer's rigs...or my family's rigs.

G

Not recently, but waaaay back in the day when this was Tom Pabst's overclocking site ['96] I pushed a 486SX-25 all the way to 50Mhz and after about a week it croaked. This was in the deep dark mists of time when processor heat sinks were a fairly new concept and CPU's were hand carved out of blocks of raw silicon so trying to get a 60% overclock with no additional cooling was asking for trouble. That CPU just died quietly - no drama at all, it just died but I had made the horrible mistake of overclocking my bosses PC which was a bit silly now that I think about it in hindsight.

The most dramatic burnout I ever had was a Rendition Vérité 1000 that was plugged into a mobo driving an 486DX-40 to 50Mhz - the overclock wasn't all that dramatic but there was no separation\multiplier between the CPU clock and IO bus on those systems and the additional load caused the GPU (or whatever the render chip on the Vérité should be called) to literally pop its lid and I was left with the equivelent of a $1K card with a smoking hole right in the center of the Rendition chip and little bits of blackened ceramic spread across the inside of the PC. The CPU was fine once I replace the video card but the greatest loss was the fact that I was no longer able to enjoy the very first Lara Croft in all her hardware accelerated glory, Those were the days. Yeah - I know if I had real overclocking cojones I should have been trying to push Pentiums past 133Mhz by then but I was a bit strapped for cash and all I could afford were the 486's.

akoegle

Distinguished
Mar 5, 2009
[citation][nom]demonhorde665[/nom]could you be any bigger a fanbaby .. i eman fan boy .. get lsot with this BS , AMD processors cook NO easier than intels ganted you cant OC them as high but i have yet to have an OCe'd amd chip fri on me. god get lost you dang fan boy we dont need you (for teh record i'm ntoa fanboy i ahve both amd and intel based comps in my home .i jsut hate freaking fanboys that spew utter trash[/citation]

The only thing in this message that's useless trash is your typing.

deltatux

Distinguished
Jul 29, 2008
Nope, and hopefully never. Parts aren't cheap if you're a student like me.

My ASUS motherboard comes with a CPU overclocking protection system where it will test if the overclock is "safe" (that it won't fry the CPU), then it'll boot the CPU at that clock. Else, it'll run at stock settings and allow you to fix the settings in the BIOS.

halcyon

Splendid
[citation][nom]deltatux[/nom]Nope, and hopefully never. Parts aren't cheap if you're a student like me.My ASUS motherboard comes with a CPU overclocking protection system where it will test if the overclock is "safe" (that it won't fry the CPU), then it'll boot the CPU at that clock. Else, it'll run at stock settings and allow you to fix the settings in the BIOS.[/citation]

Gotta love Asus, but I'm sure the other mobo manufacturers have added similar protections, but I wouldn't know...because I always go Asus. What is it? "Rock Solid & Heart Warming" or something like that?

brett_monkey

Distinguished
Mar 3, 2007
Not yet, I have pushed my E5200 to 4Ghz so far on air. I will try and fry it when I am ready to get a new one. I have an old X23800 I might want to try and fry also.

Status
Not open for further replies.