Solved

How would you build it?

Last response: in Business Computing
June 18, 2012 6:16:01 PM

Business: Architecture Firm
Size: 20 Architects doing 3D
Level of detail: millimeter
Size of plans: 1000m³
Tools used: Dual screens PCs, Tablets, DSLRs, FTPs, Central Printing on Ricoh Aficio MP C3001

Software used: Autocad 2013, Autocad WS, Revit 2013, Adobe CS5.5, MS Office 2010, G. SketchUp, and G. Earth

Needs: Central Data server, E-mail server, Archive, Backup, and remote access.

How would you answer to these needs?

After a few answeres I'll post how I have it at the moment.

JL³

More about : build

June 18, 2012 7:06:09 PM

A thousand different ways to do this.
m
l
June 18, 2012 7:33:36 PM

That's the point of my question. For the fun of making a serious build.
m
l
Related resources
June 18, 2012 7:39:06 PM

jltrepanier said:
That's the point of my question. For the fun of making a serious build.

budget would be good
m
l
June 18, 2012 7:42:14 PM

Hi :) 

My company builds machines for a couple of architects offices....

Umm...you missed out a plotter.....they LIKE plotters lol...

All the best Brett :) 
m
l
June 18, 2012 7:54:14 PM

Are you asking how everything should be set up, or asking for hardware recommendations for your server, and workstations.
m
l
June 19, 2012 11:27:19 AM

shanky887614 said:
budget would be good

Shanky: Carte blanche :) 
m
l
June 19, 2012 11:28:07 AM

Brett928S2 said:
Hi :) 

My company builds machines for a couple of architects offices....

Umm...you missed out a plotter.....they LIKE plotters lol...

All the best Brett :) 

Brett: It's a small office so it's cheap to get the A0s printed at a local printshop.
m
l
June 19, 2012 11:28:23 AM

kidcrumb said:
Are you asking how everything should be set up, or asking for hardware recommendations for your server, and workstations.

Kidcrumb: I'm talking about builds, so ya I'm looking for hardware.
m
l

Best solution

June 19, 2012 12:01:26 PM

Server: 4-8 core server with ~2-4GB of ram per core (depending on number and activity level of users) paired with either a RAID5 of 4 discs if you need lots of space, or RAID1 with 2SSDs if there are just a few files. Run SBS for 'ease of setup and use'. It will act as a file server, print server, remote access, and email client. Outsource your web server, it is cheap and most services run with nearly 0 down time, where as if your office has a power outage in the middle of the night you will never know until the next morning.
Then build a 2nd identical setup in preperation of a hardware failure. Set up a backup plan; Do disc/tape images every few months, and do an offsite backup (VPN to somewhere, or a cloud service) for the rest of your files which should be done nightly, but you do not want it in the building with you in the event of a fire.

Office PCs should get i3 cpus with 4GB of ram, production machines should get i7s with 8-16GB of ram (possibly more depending on file sizes... last time I used autocad was r4 lol), and possibly a quadro or firepro GPU depending on just how intence of projects we are talking here. All PCs should get a ~120GB SSD for programs, all files should live on the file server. Just about anything can run duel monitors today, even little i3 CPUs, just be sure to get ips displays for your units.

Not too sure on tablets yet, but win8 tablet are coming soon, and if you want something useful I would wait for them. Otherwise I would likely pick an android for the moment... but having never used an android tablet I really don't know what to tell you there.

Consider one of these down the line as the tech gets cheaper: http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/pixelsense/default.aspx
There is potential for this to be an amazing presentation tool, but it really isnt ready for prime time yet.

Well... that wasn't very specific, but neither was your original post. Servers can vary in price from hundreds, to hundreds of thousands of dollars. Office machines can range in price from $400-2,000, and production machines can range in price from $1,000-30,000 depending on exactly what you require of them. So without some form of at least ball-park budget in mind it would be impossible to go further.

This really needs to be handled by a paid professional who knows your exact situation, your building, your user base, budget, clientel, and can provide some sort of support if the whole system goes to hell. You say that the sky is the limit on budget, so spend good money on someone who knows what they are talking about; it will save you thousands in hardware and software mistakes.
June 19, 2012 2:56:32 PM

Thanks for your reply Caedenv. You're the first build. I'd like to see if other people will post alternatives before posting the current build which is very close to your post.
m
l
June 20, 2012 3:44:23 PM

Might as well post your build as you've put such a vague post out there.
m
l
June 20, 2012 7:15:32 PM

find someone doing it on YouTube
m
l
June 30, 2012 11:24:38 AM

Best answer selected by jltrepanier.
m
l
June 30, 2012 11:29:23 AM

Best answer goes to Caedenv. For being the only one to suggest a build to my question. I would have thought there would be at lease a 3 or 4 suggestions. But it looks like the people here don't like to make builds for fun.

Ah well...

...it not even worth it to post how I've setuped.

Cheers
m
l
July 1, 2012 12:20:33 PM

that's hardly a fair statement. The last thing people want is to post their opinion, only to have you say that they are way off the mark. Unless you give them a ball-park budget and number of units then it really is impossible to get any kind of useful answer.

Also, most people on this site are in one of 2 categories:
1) They are gamers, who do gaming builds, and have no concept of a network or office PC environment
2) They are professionals who do this kind of thing in their sleep, but do not want to be liable for the advice they give, or need to be paid for their time (seriously, just picking parts for a system like this can cost in the $1000+ range). And there is nothing worse than a client who doesn't know what they want, or willing to tell you want they want.
m
l
July 2, 2012 1:27:06 PM

jltrepanier said:
Best answer goes to Caedenv. For being the only one to suggest a build to my question. I would have thought there would be at lease a 3 or 4 suggestions. But it looks like the people here don't like to make builds for fun.

Ah well...

...it not even worth it to post how I've setuped.

Cheers

So basically.... you didn't have a build for this and wanted others to do it?
m
l
July 2, 2012 6:23:37 PM

broseephus said:
So basically.... you didn't have a build for this and wanted others to do it?

No. Basically this was a game, for fun and no one was interested to play.

m
l
Anonymous
July 9, 2012 1:58:11 AM

sorry was actually helping people that have real problems but kudos the caedenv.

now back getting someone who spent $1200 avoid having a very expensive paper weight.
m
l
!