I need a video card

kmholan

Distinguished
Mar 24, 2003
I have been trying to decide what video card to buy. Like many here this seems to be the big question. However, I have a slight twist.

I have a copy of Microsoft Media Center edition of XP. I want to run this PC on my TV.

I hvae tried a few diffrent cards but they look terrible on my TV.

I am considering either the ATI 9800 or the GeForce FX. How much does the TV matter all is it all in the video card?

All help is greatly appreciated.

elzt

Distinguished
May 10, 2002
TV was not designed for displaying computer text and graphics. So you won't get any better look on a TV than on a computer monitor. Anyway, ATI has a fine record of making good cards with TV-out feature. But I suggest you try it before buying.

jihiggs

Splendid
Oct 11, 2001
i think thats what he meant. i use a radeon 7200 in my video player and it works just fine. at 800x600 i can read the text on desktop icons. its not somthing i would want to read all day but its still functional.

my computer is so fast, it completes an endless loop in less than 4 seconds!

Depends on what you are trying to view on a TV and why.

Game Consoles and Video look GREAT on a TV but that is what they are for, where blended edges and such are great. It's just horrible for text.

You can run lesser resolution on a TV that look crystal clear for some apps (videos, some games) which when viewed on the harsher medium of a comp. monitor look just terrible when run the way a computer outputs an image (through RGB-15)

Anywhooo, Tv-out doesn't make as much sense anymore as a TV in would. I'd prefer to watch/record TV on my computer, than to watch/record my computer on my TV/VCR.

- You need a licence to buy a gun, but they'll sell anyone a stamp <i>(or internet account)</i> ! <font color=red>RED</font color=red> <font color=green>GREEN</font color=green> :tongue: GA to SK

kmholan

Distinguished
Mar 24, 2003
I wanted to use it to view movies and PVR functions. I was going to purchase a Hauppauge PVR board in addition to the video card. That's why I won't need the ATI all-in-wonder card.

Anybody try it on HD TV? I will probably use a monitor and a TV out connection. So, if I understand everyone, it won't matter the card but the TV res is the issue.