Gigabyte: Enable SLI On X58 Boards

Status
Not open for further replies.

Inktfish

Distinguished
Jan 21, 2009
So now they are giving native SLI support on those boards or are they just admitting that their BIOS can be altered illegally very easily?

Inktfish

Distinguished
Jan 21, 2009
So does that mean:
SLI support legally on the 6 Gigabyte boards
OR
are they admitting that it can be done easily
?

kingnoobe

Distinguished
Aug 20, 2008
Its all legal read all of the article. They just had to get certification for it. Or of course they just wanted to make money, and hoped more people would buy the more expensive board, but when the article broke they figured "hey might as well now, it'll make us look good".

mirazh1976

Distinguished
Jan 11, 2009
This kind of gives a clue on per board production costs if they can undercut their own higher market boards. Also, I am sure they would stipulate that this bio's tweak voids the warranty as well?

bounty

Distinguished
Mar 23, 2006
"It's probably safe to assume that Gigabyte planned to release an SLI-certified BIOS all along, but that the Taiwanese magazine stumbled upon the ability before Gigabyte could get the official Nvidia certification."

I don't know if I'd call that safe to assume. Not with that wording anyways. I'd call announcing your motherboards support SLI and that there is a bios patch, different than official Nvidia certification. Also it may not be the same as official Gigabyte support. In other words, you can dl it and try it, if it doesn't work for you for some reason I doubt they'll send you another board. They'll probably tell you if you want official SLI support, but the official SLI mobo.

martel80

Distinguished
Dec 8, 2006
I thought nVidia would collect some small fee for SLI support on a per-board basis. If this was the case, Gigabyte would be in trouble (evading fees).

marraco

Distinguished
Jan 6, 2007
I don't get why Nvidia allowed the existence of crossfire-capable motherboards without SLI. Taking itself away from the market does not make sense.

Status
Not open for further replies.