Name Forgotten + Soul Gem

Hey All,

If some vamp has The Name Forgotten and the Soul Gem of Etrius, and
then they burn, The Name Forgotten wins, and the Soul Gem doesn't go
off, correct?

Thanks,

Ira

The Soul Gem does not go off. The card texts follows:
Soul Gem of Etrius [Jyhad:R, VTES:R, CE:R]
Cardtype: Equipment

Unique equipment.
If the vampire with this equipment is burned, draw the top vampire from
your crypt. If that vampire is younger, put the Soul Gem on him or her
and move him or her to your ready region with blood from the blood bank
equal to his or her capacity; otherwise, move that vampire to your
uncontrolled region (and burn the Soul Gem). If bearer is diablerized,
the diablerizing vampire cannot take the Soul Gem.

The Name Forgotten [KMW:R]
Cardtype: Action

Discipline: Thaumaturgy

[tha] (D) Put this card on a ready unique vampire. If the vampire with
this card is burned, he or she is removed from the game instead, and
all Methuselahs search their crypts, uncontrolled regions and ash heaps
for other vampires with the same name. These vampires are removed from
the game as well (shuffle all crypts afterward).
[THA] As above, but this action is at +1 stealth.

The stipulation of Soul Gem is that if the bearing vampire is burned
but if the vampire has name forgotten on them they can not be burned.

Andrew.

Can't you order effects in any order if they happen at the same time
during your turn? Both effects go off "if the vampire is burned", so
can't I do the Soul Gem effect and then do the Name Forgotten effect?

Can't you order effects that happen at the same time any way you want
during your own turn? Since both happen "if the vampire is burned",
can't you do the Soul Gem effect first and then do the Name Forgotten
Effect?

Chris Berger wrote:
> Can't you order effects that happen at the same time any way you want
> during your own turn? Since both happen "if the vampire is burned",
> can't you do the Soul Gem effect first and then do the Name Forgotten
> Effect?

I don't know why you're bothering to ask questions if you're going to
ignore what people are telling you. As has been explained before, the
word "instead" on Name Forgotten means that the effect is not triggered
by the burning and occuring afterwards, but actually replaces the
burning effect, so the Soul Gem is never triggered.

CthuluKitty

In message <1113152856.379894.323620@f14g2000cwb.googlegroups.com>,
Chris Berger <arkayn@ugcs.caltech.edu> writes:
>Can't you order effects in any order if they happen at the same time
>during your turn? Both effects go off "if the vampire is burned", so
>can't I do the Soul Gem effect and then do the Name Forgotten effect?

The text on The Name Forgotten tells you that the vampire is removed
from the game "instead", which suggests the burning is aborted.

--
James Coupe "Why do so many talented people turn out to be sexual
PGP Key: 0x5D623D5D deviants? Why can't they just be normal like me and

CthuluKitty
i think (based on timestamp) that he just double posted (maybe he
didn't see his first message) and all that before james answer, so he
was not "ignoring"

Just my 2 cents
Andrea

My browser hiccoughed. Sorry about the double post.