19" or 17" monitor

TearsForFears

Distinguished
Mar 25, 2003
To view well at the 19" monitor the resolution must be higher than 17". 1200x800 is a good resolution for the 17" monitors. For 19" you will probably need more than 1200x800. Most of the games and websites does not look well at higher resolution. And to view the best picture you have to set the resolution as recommended by the manufacturer of the monitor. Also better grapics cards are needed for performance at higher resolution.

So what should be the best monitor for today?

Everybody Wants To Rule The World

davepermen

Distinguished
Sep 7, 2002
i have a 18.1" monitor (flat), and i run often on 1024x768..

reason: its a pc for living, not for sitting in front of it. meaning its not that near to me, trackball and keyboard are small and cordless and i am sitting on my sofa..

big screen => further away.. much less eye stressing..

but i guess a 19" can possibly even go up to 1600x1200..

"take a look around" - limp bizkit

www.google.com

Rubberbband

Distinguished
Jul 9, 2001
Get a 19" monitor for sure. At home (Victoria) I run a 21" Accusynch at 1024x768 (because most web pages are set up that way) and the viewing quality is not the geatest but it rocks for gaming (1280x1024) and watching DVD movies. I was posted to Halifax for a year and did not want to ship that monitor so I bought a 17". What a difference LOL.

The aim of military training is not just to prepare men for battle, but to make them long for it. <A HREF="http://forums.btvillarin.com/index.php?act=ST&f=41&t=327&s" target="_new"><b>MY SYSTEM</b></A>

RCPilot

Champion
Shoot , I don't know what you guys are talking about with such low res. I bought a new Viewsonic 19" a90f+ in Nov. The modern CRT's run a lot more res. than that. My recommended res. is 1280 x 1024 @ 75hz. That's what I run. Web pages are great, everything is great. I play games at the highest res. the game will allow without one iota of problem. Right now I'm playing NOLF 2 at 1280 x 960 x 32 & the graphics are awesome.

Maybe I'm missing something on this thread!

If it ain't broke, take it apart & see why not!

Willamette_sucks

Distinguished
Feb 24, 2002
learn english fool.
you are dumb, websites/games do NOT look worse at higher resolutions, YOU ARE AN IDIOT!
The higher the resolution the better a game will look.
You must like to suck fat monkey C*@%.
Bigger monitor = better (assuming they are of the same quality)
GO TO HELL FARGOT!

-this post sponsored by Jeff K.

Long live ATI.

Rubberbband

Distinguished
Jul 9, 2001
Easy Man. THe guy's just asking a question. That's what this forum is for, REMEMBER.

The aim of military training is not just to prepare men for battle, but to make them long for it. <A HREF="http://forums.btvillarin.com/index.php?act=ST&f=41&t=327&s" target="_new"><b>MY SYSTEM</b></A>

dhlucke

Polypheme
I have no clue what you are talking about. Buy the biggest monitor you can afford. Odds are you were looking at a crappy monitor if you think the higher resolutions look worse. There's more to a monitor than just the resolution. You need an awesome refresh rate and dot pitch as well.

<font color=red>GOD</font color=red> <font color=blue>BLESS</font color=blue> <font color=red>AMERICA</font color=red>

TearsForFears

Distinguished
Mar 25, 2003
Many people have complains about higher resolution when visiting web pages. The page designed for 1024x768 does not look good at higher resolution. Many web site has different version for different resolution.

I don't know too much about games. But for games if you run at higher resolution then it will need more memory and processing power of your grapics card.

And if you want icons size of a football(which they will be at low resolution on bigger monitor), then any monitor will be fine for you.

Everybody Wants To Rule The World

flamethrower205

Illustrious
Jun 26, 2001
I think what he means is that first for a website some r made for a specific res and when ur res is larger than that u get a border with nothing on it, which can detract from how good the website looks. As for games, too high a res makes text and other things harder to see. As for running at reccomended res, it can be interpreted as 2 fold- for CRT's running at the reccomended res yields a good refresh rate (res higher than that u may see flicker) and u also prolong the life of the tube by running it at what it's meant to do. As for LCD, anything less than the number of pixels on screen looks bad unless it scales to an integer value, like 1280x960 -> 640x480.
Tears, I'd say go with a 19" CRT if you have the desk space and run it at 1280x1024 (easy on the eyes, and a good crt will have a refresh rate of 85hz or higher at that res- check outthe P95F+ for some very high refresh rates). True you'll get less FPS when playing games, but new vids cards should be able to handle new games and those to come in the next half year well at that resolution. The effect of games looking bad w/ a larger monitor may also be what he means as you'll want to turn the resolution higher so that there are less ridgies and image overall looks better, and then it may become choppy.
Also please disregard the post from Williamette_Sucks, this forum welcomes you and will gladly answer your questions.

Hilbert space is a big place.