To buy extended warranty?

Hi,

Here's the lowdown on my capabilities: I have built three computers so
far; I consider myself INTERMEDIATE as far as computer repair and
computer useagee is concerned.

I donated two of the three computers and then I bought a new Dell 2400
Dimension, so I have the Dell and one older home-built, for backup.

My warranty is up in January/February for the Dell. I feel that I can
fix whatever can go wrong...by simply replacing components.

That said, I don't think I should pay $140 for an extended three year
Warranty.

Anybody feel that it's a good investment???? I'm really not sure.
Mike
Picture Rocks, AZ

It's a good investment for a notebook, which has expensive components,
but a bad investment for a desktop. Any any case, consider how much your
system would be worth 3 years from now. Why not just replace it with
something new if it fails that far out?

On 13 Dec 2004 16:25:47 -0800, axipolti@yahoo.com wrote:

>Hi,
>
>Here's the lowdown on my capabilities: I have built three computers so
>far; I consider myself INTERMEDIATE as far as computer repair and
>computer useagee is concerned.
>
>I donated two of the three computers and then I bought a new Dell 2400
>Dimension, so I have the Dell and one older home-built, for backup.
>
>My warranty is up in January/February for the Dell. I feel that I can
>fix whatever can go wrong...by simply replacing components.
>
>That said, I don't think I should pay $140 for an extended three year
>Warranty.
>
>Anybody feel that it's a good investment???? I'm really not sure.
>Mike
>Picture Rocks, AZ

I just paid nearly twice that amt. for another 3 yrs. on my Inspiron
8600. But only because (a) I've already replaced one HD and read
reports of excessive HD failures and (b) know that notebooks can be
easily damaged. In your particular situation, I wouldn't waste my
money.

axipolti@yahoo.com wrote:
> My warranty is up in January/February for the Dell. I feel that I can
> fix whatever can go wrong...by simply replacing components.
>
> That said, I don't think I should pay $140 for an extended three year
> Warranty.

Not for a desktop if you're happy getting inside. There's nothing in there
worth more than $140, with the possible exception of the processor. When it
breaks, treat it as an opportunity to upgrade, and use your $140 savings
wisely.

Laptops are different - keep them under warranty as long as possible, as
theres not much that you can replace, and too many proprietry parts.

HTH,

Pete.

The extended warranty is essential for a laptop, as you can not usually
acquire parts for repairs regardless of your skill level.

For desktops, I usually take the minimum time possible - it save on the
purchase cost -but most importantly, if something breaks, I know I have to
fix it myself and I won't have to spend anytime on hold. That's quicker and
less painful for me. I've found tech support so difficult, I'll do anything
to avoid them!

<axipolti@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> Hi,
>
> Here's the lowdown on my capabilities: I have built three computers so
> far; I consider myself INTERMEDIATE as far as computer repair and
> computer useagee is concerned.
>
> I donated two of the three computers and then I bought a new Dell 2400
> Dimension, so I have the Dell and one older home-built, for backup.
>
> My warranty is up in January/February for the Dell. I feel that I can
> fix whatever can go wrong...by simply replacing components.
>
> That said, I don't think I should pay $140 for an extended three year
> Warranty.
>
> Anybody feel that it's a good investment???? I'm really not sure.
> Mike
> Picture Rocks, AZ

Jim

Do you actually use you laptop on the go? If so, yes do think about
getting it. Use it at home as a portable desktop, no, don't bother.

JIm