QOTD: Do You Use Linux/BSD With a GUI?

Status
Not open for further replies.

salem80

Distinguished
Jul 31, 2008
i use Linux with graphics user interface ..
i know some new devices sometimes video card you need to shutdown the GUI
to install the driver on it ..
Linux are great OS and it very stable but for unknown reason you can't find drive for your device if Linux Can't detect it ...
i hope they find some utility similar to what windows have(ADD new hardware Wizard)

masterclam

Distinguished
Sep 18, 2008
YES, I have a Vostro 1400 laptop with Vista, but I dual boot to Ubuntu 8.10, which is what I use for almost everything, only switching back when there is a certain feature that windows does that is difficult to use in Ubuntu. I far prefer the customizability and feel of Ubuntu over vista, which is clunky and badly organized. With the plugins I have installed, I can do almost any of the "eye candy" and usability features that a Mac can do, without paying the "Mac tax". This particular version, I will admit, is not quite as fast to boot as windows or OS X, but the next version is slated to release this month and is supposed to be much faster. GIVE IT A TRY!

hellwig

Distinguished
May 29, 2008
I used to run FreeBSD with CTWM. I stoppd using FreeBSD when I couldn't get drivers for my NVIDIA 5200FX, never went back.

Right now I'm running gOs/Ubuntu on my netbook.

joex444

Distinguished
No, I do not. I have one Celeron 1.1GHz running a router distribution.

And I have Fedora installed as a Virtual PC... but I never use it. If I did use it, it would be running a GUI of course.

G

At home, all the times.
My home desktop is a only LINUX machine for 3 years now.

At work.
Its not my decision. Unfortunately.

Mr_Man

Distinguished
Feb 17, 2008
Ubuntu with Gnome. My machine is a dual-boot with XP, and I've found that I do pretty much everything on Linux now except for certain games or if a website requires Internet Exploder... I mean Explorer.

G

xfce(ubuntu) on a acer aspire one and kde(debian) as a dual boot a desktop.

hemelskonijn

Distinguished
Oct 8, 2008
Gnome desktop on nearly all systems running linux/bsd except for my firewall/router but that one does have a nice GUI you can use in your web browser.

Seriously that my system do have a gui installed doesnt mean i cant run without or that it boots in to the gui whenever it boots.
For many tasks command lines are way better.

tester3000

Distinguished
Jul 21, 2008
Nope,, no GUI on my Debian netisnt. Using it as a ftp/webserver. IMO that's the kind of stuff linux is good for. Windows is still my main OS. Running debian off vmware.

Repelsteeltje

Distinguished
Apr 19, 2008
I've been using Linux since 1998, both on servers and as desktop. I don't even have Windows or any other Microsoft software at home. I'm a Unix system/net administrator and security consultant though... Not quite an average computer user. If you'd have to run some specific graphical/CAD/custom software, you might not have the luxury to choose. Or if you're into mainstream games. I'm not one of those users that tries to convince others the whole time, though I've helped non-technical people transition from Windows to Linux on the desktop successfully. The OS shouldn't matter to people no matter how little they know about computers, if all they do is browse, email, do some office work, play music and watch a movie now and then. Linux is user-friendly, especially when you help people on their way with the hardware setup.

Hardware support shouldn't be an issue to most people either; the only real issue would be the level of support for the latest graphic cards, but it's not as if you're going to be able to play most commercial games in Linux anyway. In fact, I have more faith in the stability of (even minimal) Linux drivers than in the crap some companies dare to ship without any QA review. Let's face it, most of the time it's stuff like drivers that makes your system misbehave and/or crash.

FreeBSD/OpenBSD I've never used as desktop, but at least FreeBSD should do quite well there too, with a bit of luck in hardware choice. Same goes for Solaris really, unless you have the luxury of running it on real Sun hardware of course...

Hardware support for alternative operating systems is often a matter of corporate interest and an economical and often also "political" issue rather than something that Linux (or *BSD) should be directly blamed for. If companies don't provide either drivers or tech specs for their products, it's going to be rather hard to make that hardware work no matter what OS you're in.

Greatwalrus

Distinguished
Feb 3, 2009
I use both, but primarily a GUI. I spend a lot of time in the console, however.
My primary Linux system is Arch Linux. Just recently, I have moved completely away from Windows.

zelog, I believe I heard better touch/multitouch screen support is coming soon :)

G

Yes, OpenSuse 11.1 X_64, KDE 2.2 runs very well on my laptop.Compaq Presario (HP) CQ60-220US with 4 gig ram.
Jack

Status
Not open for further replies.