Distinguished
Jan 2, 2012
-intro
-price and performance main factors
-mobility desired
-gb for movies/music but external hdd?
-laptop to last ~5 years
-laptop<$1200, don't make much money

Hello!! After searching through this site diligently to answer all my hardware questions, I'm finally ready to pick my system and have some specific inquiries that could use your, more tech savvy, better wisdom and input.. Going to be downloading alot of movies/music before SOPA passes, but don't need alot of GB on my HD because i figure i can load all of that into an external harddrive. When it comes to my gaming laptop purchase, which, as of now, is soley for upcoming diablo 3 as of now, but possibly heroes of newerth or a more demanding game like starcraft2 in the near future, the main two factors I am looking at is price and performance.. mobility isn't really an issue but I've already purchased a desktop at home and need a laptop here.
tl;dr

[recertified]
I would prefer a recertified laptop where I can get better tech specs per dollar adjusting for 30% off retail value. Unfortuneately, the only trusted website that i know of that deals with recertified laptops is newegg.com, who only has
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16834220821 this laptop that looks good. I've scrolled across xoticpc.com, but hearing mixed reviews about them, and it looks like their main product is sager laptops who they just seem to be an authorized dealer for ( sorry if this is incredibly ignorant)

[new alienware]
Alienware offers military discounts that i can take advantage of and as long as I don't get all weird with the upgrades(because retail discounts for upgrades are better value).
Looking at two different computers:

-m17x
http://premierconfigure.us.dell.com...howleadtime=True&~tab=AllOptionsTab&~lt=print

-m14x
http://premierconfigure.us.dell.com...howleadtime=True&~tab=AllOptionsTab&~lt=print

Am I looking at a better deal to just buy, or go with a recertified when I can find a deal? From what I've gathered, alienware is overpriced and their website should never be visited but... here I am. Are there any trusted receritifed laptop dealers out there that you guys out there know about?

chippies

Distinguished
Dec 21, 2008
Don't know about refurbished models, but Asus gaming laptops seem to be better built for cooling than the Alienware ones, based on my richer friends experience.

popatim

Titan
You linked the wrong Refurbed Asus, that one is out of stock and I doubt will ever get restocked. Heres the current model:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16834230174
Note that its BBK7 model which means its a BestBuy edition and has reduced specs. For example most come with the i7-2670qm (2.2Ghz) but this has the 2630 (2.0ghz). Also the 560m used in the Bestbuy edition is a 128bit rather than the normal 192bit. If you plan on only gaming on the latops display then that is fine as the display is only 1600x900 rather than the 1920x1080 hi def display found in the others. The BestBuy edition also lacks an integrated bluetooth module for what thats worth. For the price I beleive its a good buy.

kakashi_80

Distinguished
Jan 2, 2012

cbrunnem

Distinguished
no current laptop will be able to play games well in 5 years.

a 3.5 inch ssd wont fit in a laptops hard drive bay.

Pjungg

Distinguished
Jan 2, 2012

What do you mean by that? A laptop now won't handle modern games of 5 years from now.. Or a laptop now will degrade into junk and won't last 5 years?

Cause I just don't want to have to buy another laptop before deployments, going on leave etc during my current contract. But if it can run diablo3 well for the next 5 years and be able to play movies, hold music, then it's perfect for me.
I should have specified that games like Starcraft 3 is if I win the lottery or break my legs and have shitloads of free time but my laptops most demanding game for its life should be diablo3

This is kind of along the lines of what I was looking for.. I'm reading the feedback and there's a few issues with it and I'm weighing the options. Better tech specs for the same price but a few problems with stereo, space bar, mousepad.. Mostly cosmetic so it's not a big deal to me but slightly inconvenient

Thanks for the link. They're now out of m14x but I'll favorite that website and cross my fingers

Pjungg

Distinguished
Jan 2, 2012

THIS LOOKS AWESOME!!!!!!!!!!

This is probably the one... Couple tech questions before I purchase

- the memory is 8gb pc3-10600 ddr3 sdram 1333 MHz, how does it compare with a 6gh dual channel ddr3 at same MHz would it be the same as a 4gb dual channel?

- the resolution I was aiming for was x920 but that was for a 15".. Since this is 14" would a x768 be just as enjoyable to watch?

- 500gb at 7200 Hdd is perfectly fine with me. Ssd is well beyond my budget alhough I would even mind a 128gb ssd and 500gb external Hdd.. Then I can have fast hard drive with lots of storage space right?

Anyway.. Love the processor, video card isnt overkill, perfect, great Hdd. THANKS!!!!! Great find!

cbrunnem

Distinguished

idk what you have heard from your buddies and if there experiences are different but my brother went on deployment with his laptop and it didnt make it back with him. the sand was just to much for it. just something to think about.

also your laptop will not be able to play modern games in 5 years.... atleast not well. hell a 1000 dollar desktop prolly couldnt either. computers are just one of those things that as soon as you buy them they are outdated.

Status
Not open for further replies.