[Qualifier_Report]_Vitória-Minas_Railroad

[Qualifier Report] Vitória-Minas Railroad

ES-MG Region Continental Qualifier

Location: Vitória, Brasil
Date: April 9, 2005
Number of players: 20
Number of rounds: 3 + F

Last Saturday, 20 players from 3 Brazilian states gathered in Vitória
to play for a Continental Qualifier spot.

The finalists (and qualifiers) were:

David Magri (The 'Roaches Final Solution - !Toreador Embraces + Palla
Grande + Foundation Exhibit + Events) ->
Daniel "Dragos" Martinez (Brujah Debate) ->
Thalles Zaban (The Trouble Sisters - Ahrimanes) ->
Alexandre Neves (Ravnos, the Wall) ->
Ramon Moure (Shifty !Gangrel - Bleed + Stealth !Gangrel)

The final standings were:

Rank Player GW PVP FVP TP

1 David Magri 1+F 7 5 180 *
2 Ramon Moure 3 10 0 180 *
3 Thalles Zaban 2 8,5 0 174 *
4 Daniel Martinez 1 6 0 126 *
5 Alexandre Neves 1 5 0 108 *

6 Thiago Nespoli 1 4,5 144
7 Matheus Zorzal 0 4 138
8 Ricardo Marques 0 2 114
9 Marcelo Vieira 0 1,5 108
10 Bruno Moure 0 1 108
11 Gilmar Mendes 0 1 90
12 Jarbas Junio 0 1 84
13 Alan Maretto 0 0,5 84
13 Eddos Persantj 0 0,5 84
15 Ravel Zorzal 0 0,5 78
16 Daniel Stefanutti 0 0,5 66
17 André Ribeiro 0 0 78
18 Jardel Cardoso 0 0 72
19 Gabriel Waichert 0 0 48
20 Silvio Alencar 0 0 24

David Magri, the winner, wrote a few words about the final table:

"The game was pretty obvious to me. My chances depended on making
pool faster than Ramon could take it away. So far, with a bleed +
stealth deck and 3GW, he looked like a bigger threat than me. Finally,
though, I had perfect draws at the beginning! The Embraces came very
quickly and so did the Consanguineous Boons and the Art Scams. Soon, I
had a ridiculously huge amount of minions, but, in my experience, I
know they can all fall very quickly if the table gangs up against them.
Then I let my prey go forward while I created even more minions and
made more pool. I stole my prey's vote location (Oxford University,
England) and bled occasionally when I felt safe enough. When I finally
had 4 Dodges in my hand, I saw I could go forward more safely. I bled
Dragos for about 12 pool, but my 4 remaining untapped minions
wouldn't be enough to oust him. He would be left with eight minions,
4 Debates and only 4 pool [Editor's note: no Palla Grande in play]. I
thought it was a better idea to leave him with 8 pool because if he
left all his eight minions untapped to stop me, a lot of my small guys
would end in torpor. After two turns [Note: and now a Palla Grande in
play] I ousted him. The next turn, I ousted Thalles, and the next one I
ousted both Alexandre and Ramon. There was nothing they could really do
to stop 22 minions, of which 19 could bleed and 18 could bleed for
two".

Ramon Moure, 3GW in the preliminary tables and runner-up, added his
comments:

"In the beginning, things were very nice to me. My hand was perfect,
lots of bleed and stealth, so I burst forward as planned. After three
rounds, I had bled David for about 14, so he had only 9 by then. I
influenced out two more vampires and had I real chance to oust him the
next turn. That was when the game was finished for me. He put a
Foundation Exhibit in play, giving him 8 votes right away. Then he
called 3 Consanguineous Boons, giving him some 25 pool [Note: David
also called a couple Art Scams, actually giving him almost 30 pool].
>From that point on, it was total doom. He Embraced, hunted and played
Con Boon. I bled and bled (my predator gave me some room to see if I
could do anything), but his Con Boons never ended, even if Dragos would
stop some of them. The result was obvious and disheartening. My
predator noticed I was done and came after me. Since David should have
80 pool by then, I entered survival mode and was able to keep myself in
the game and get the second place after David finished his table
sweep".

In the end, I counted David's pool and minions to find out he had 147
pool and 22 minions. Is that a world record or something like that? =)

Winning deck, by David Magri:

Deck Name : Baratas Final Solution
Author : Equipe DominioSP
Description : In the End, only the 'roaches will survive.

Crypt [17 vampires] Capacity min: 2 max: 6 average: 4
2x Remilliard, Devout 4 AUS pre !Toreador:2
2x Sabrina 4 aus cel pre !Toreador:3
2x Lolita 3 for pre !Toreador:2
2x Carter 2 cel !Toreador:2
2x Nicholas Chang 2 aus !Toreador:3
1x Ian Wallingford 6 CEL PRE aus bishop !Toreador:2
1x Jost Werner 6 AUS PRE ani !Toreador:2
1x Sheila Mezarin 6 AUS PRE cel for !Toreador:2
1x Creamy Jade 5 PRE aus cel vic !Toreador:3
1x Cristos Mantigo 5 aus cel dom obf pre !Toreador:3
1x Mercy, Knight Inqu 5 AUS cel dom pre !Toreador:2
1x Victor Revell, Loy 5 CEL aus dem pre !Toreador:2

Library [90 cards]

Action [24]
7x Art Scam
13x Embrace, The
4x Thin-Blooded Seer

Action Modifier [4]
4x Change of Target

Ally [2]
2x Alia, God's Messenger

Combat [6]
6x Dodge

Equipment [1]
1x Catacombs

Event [9]
1x Anthelios, The Red Star
1x Blood Trade
1x Blood Weakens
1x Fall of the Camarilla
1x Fall of the Sabbat
1x Port Authority
1x Restricted Vitae
1x Slow Withering, The
1x Veil of Darkness

Master [25]
1x Communal Haven: Cathedral
2x Direct Intervention
1x Elder Library
1x Fetish Club Hunting Ground
1x Filchware's Pawn Shop
1x Fortschritt Library
6x Foundation Exhibit
1x Heidelberg Castle, Germany
1x Humanitas
1x Jake Washington (Hunter)
4x Palla Grande
1x Parthenon, The
1x Powerbase: Madrid
2x Sudden Reversal
1x Sunset Strip, Hollywood

Political Action [19]
14x Consanguineous Boon
3x Disputed Territory
1x Rumors of Gehenna
1x Year of Fortune

I would like to thank White Wolf and Fabio Sooner (the Brazilian
national coordinator) for the amazing support. The same goes to Casa do
Colecionador, one of our local retailers and host to the event. They
support V:TES since the day I took over as a V:EKN prince with a
genuine interest and without making any exigencies.

Also many thanks to all players involved, especially to those who
traveled long distances in order to attend. Thanks in particular to Ed,
Ramon and Thalles. Those guys are always very helpful, making my
organizing tasks very easier.

Best regards,

Luiz Mello
Prince of Vitória, Brasil

On 13 Apr 2005 09:34:44 -0700, "Clément" <lcmello@ig.com.br> wrote:

>[Qualifier Report] Vitória-Minas Railroad
>ES-MG Region Continental Qualifier
>
>Location: Vitória, Brasil
>Date: April 9, 2005
>Number of players: 20
>Number of rounds: 3 + F

Complementing the information: in little more than one year of
organized play, Vitoria has jumped from a 5-player group to a
Qualifier with 20.
Congratulations to Luiz, a serious candidate for the Brazilian Prince
of the Year 2004 contest - if we had such a prize ;-)

>In the end, I counted David's pool and minions to find out he had 147
>pool and 22 minions. Is that a world record or something like that? =)

It's still hard to believe. I think I'll post the pictures taken to
show that amount of resources building up (I've counted 16 minions in
one of them).
I've seen previous versions of this deck once and at its peak (no
intercept and/or no combat around) it could influence/create out, say,
10 minions and remain with 30 or 40 pool.
It seems that the "final solution" was way good for the deck indeed.

>Winning deck, by David Magri:
>
>Deck Name : Baratas Final Solution

Just in case someone feels like the name is too pretentious, I feel
compelled to clarify that the "Final Solution" part refers to the deck
itself and not "the final solution for !Tor Embraces and Palla Grande"
or something like that.
The first versions of this deck were very different, including from
Carver's Meat Packing to .44 Magnums and a splash of Celerity and
Auspex - but it seems that David found it better to switch to very
light defense, more poolgain and less overall flexibility. The net
result is obvious, I suspect.

>Master [25]
>1x Communal Haven: Cathedral
>2x Direct Intervention
>1x Elder Library
>1x Fetish Club Hunting Ground
>1x Filchware's Pawn Shop
>1x Fortschritt Library
>6x Foundation Exhibit
>1x Heidelberg Castle, Germany
>1x Humanitas
>1x Jake Washington (Hunter)
>4x Palla Grande
>1x Parthenon, The
>1x Powerbase: Madrid
>2x Sudden Reversal
>1x Sunset Strip, Hollywood

This should be posted under the Blood Doll recent threads - not a
single one!

>I would like to thank White Wolf and Fabio Sooner (the Brazilian
>national coordinator) for the amazing support.

The man to thank for is Chad Brown, you know that ;-)

If it wasn't for Chad's incredible patience and understanding, the
support material for this qualifier would never reach its destination,
due to the shameful customs' policies this country holds. Every year
we discover another hidden clause on importing and taxes laws...
*sigh*

>Also many thanks to all players involved, especially to those who
>traveled long distances in order to attend.

To boot, it's the third tournament win for David Magri in less than
one year (the others were 2004's Sao Paulo National Qualifier and the
KMW pre-release event in the same city). He's establishing himself as
one of the best players in this country, close to Itamar Jr., Prince
of Rio de Janeiro and the current national and continental champion.

So now you know who are the guys to beat the hell out when you meet
them on VTES Online ;-)

best,

Fabio "Sooner" Macedo
V:TES National Coordinator for Brazil
Giovanni Newsletter Editor
V for Vendetta on the big screen!
http://vforvendetta.warnerbros.com/

Fabio "Sooner" Macedo wrote:
> On 13 Apr 2005 09:34:44 -0700, "Clément" <lcmello@ig.com.br> wrote:
>
> >Winning deck, by David Magri:
> >Deck Name : Baratas Final Solution
>
> Just in case someone feels like the name is too pretentious, I feel
> compelled to clarify that the "Final Solution" part refers to the
deck
> itself and not "the final solution for !Tor Embraces and Palla
Grande"
> or something like that.

hm. I actually though he meant something completely different. I
thought "final solution" referred to the deck theme and mood - Gehenna,
the end of time, and all those thin blooded vamps and so on. =)

By the way, it was the deck's Event angle that I enjoyed the most.

> >I would like to thank White Wolf and Fabio Sooner (the Brazilian
> >national coordinator) for the amazing support.
>
> The man to thank for is Chad Brown, you know that ;-)

Indeed. And very well said.

Cheers,

Luiz Mello
V:EKN Prince of Vitória

Name

Distinguished
Jan 12, 2003

Clément <lcmello@ig.com.br> wrote in message
Fabio "Sooner" Macedo wrote:

By the way, it was the deck's Event angle that I enjoyed the most.

I was curious, what role did the Events have in the tournament?
Specifically, did the Sabbat/Camarilla ever fall?

Thanks!

Neil

A BIG role, I should say (I played twice against him in that
tournament, and was his prey at Final)

If you look at the deck and the crypt, you will see that the deck needs
quite a setup (embracing and Events mainly). The rest of the table will
gang up against him, once they see the potential of the deck. In
general, events are affecting big vampires, and their disciplines usage
and votes (yes, the camarilla AND the Sabbat fell more than once). This
brings the big vamps and the embraces (so called baratas = cockroaches)
to almost an equivalent level, and even the rest of the players ganging
up against him, it's not enough to bring all his vamps down and beating
his votes from Foundation Exibit. He makes TONS of poll with
consanguineous boon therefore.

I was playing a Weenie Brujah Voter, with 3rd traditions, but he would
always overcome me in numbers. When I was able to pass my
consanguioneous boons for 7, 8, 9, he was passing his consanguineous
and earning 13, 14, 15 pool. I could stand a couple of rounds. On a
previous table we played, he brought down the Camarilla, and I lost all
my princes. Therefore, lost the hability to 3rd tradition, second
tradition, and had NO VOTES at all (had to spent a lot of blood in
Awes and Bewitchings, due to some Events but could not stand much
longer either).

On a final note, I would say that Events are VERY powerful, if you
choose them correctly and prepare your deck for it (that's what he
did).

Pack your Emergency Preparations, Ritual of the Black hand and Not to
Bes. Gehenna IS coming...

Dragos

On Thu, 14 Apr 2005 02:58:14 GMT, "Name" <name@name.com> wrote:

>Clément <lcmello@ig.com.br> wrote in message
>Fabio "Sooner" Macedo wrote:
>
>By the way, it was the deck's Event angle that I enjoyed the most.
>
>I was curious, what role did the Events have in the tournament?
>Specifically, did the Sabbat/Camarilla ever fall?
>Thanks!
>Neil

I recall David mentioning in his report on a local mailing list that
the Camarilla fell. I believe it was in one of the preliminary rounds.
I'll search for it and post it here.

He never mentioned any Event having a huge impact in any given game,
though, but considering that he needed the Embraces and the Con Boons
more than anything, it isn't a surprise.

Name wrote:
> Clément <lcmello@ig.com.br> wrote in message
>
> By the way, it was the deck's Event angle that I enjoyed the most.
>
> I was curious, what role did the Events have in the tournament?
> Specifically, did the Sabbat/Camarilla ever fall?
> Thanks!
> Neil

Hi,

David has seen this post and sent some lines about the Events role in
his games:

"In all tables I've played in, Restricted Vitae ended up as a poolgain
hinder. Almost all decks I've seen used Blood Dolls for that end -
except the Brujah Debate one - and draining off all blood from minions
via BD without hunting left all minion's lives risky.
When associated with Slow Withering, it got worse still, because all
combats suffered greatly from lack of blood - except mine that was
deliberately weak from the beginning.

Blood Trade was just an event to help setting up the Fall of the
Camarilla and that I could replace right now.

Port Authority was an event that reduced the hand of everyone most of
the time - except mine, since I rarely had to discard anything. All my
minions could play all my cards, and my play was very fast, always
acting and always using cards.

Blood Weakens helped in many situations, specially when Veil of
Darkness' effect triggered - many times I've seen people playing cards
like Torn Signpost, Theft of Vitae, Selective Silence and such only to
end up with no more cards in hand to make combat more efficient. I had
many Embraces spared from torpor that way.

The Camarilla had fell for good only one time - on a head-to-head
against the Brujah Debate deck, leaving him with no votes and no
ability to play Second Tradition.

With Antelios I could fetch the Foundations back; unfortunately, the
other players could fetch Blood Dolls back too... So sometimes I used
it to get the Suddens.

In general, these were the most important Events that got played.
The curious thing was to see how many players still do not acknowledge
the Events mechanic. In almost all tables some asked things like 'Can I
burn it?', 'It's a D action to burn it?', 'It's a vote?', 'Why are you
with only 5 cards in hand?' and such."

best,

Fabio Sooner

> The curious thing was to see how many players still do not
acknowledge
> the Events mechanic. In almost all tables some asked things like 'Can
> burn it?', 'It's a D action to burn it?', 'It's a vote?', 'Why are
you
> with only 5 cards in hand?' and such."

There is a reason for that, of course. Here in Vitória, Events see no
play at all. Our playerbase had only 6 players when Gehenna was
released - which means about 25 guys started playing after that.

I may be the only player around here that joined a few Event cards
hoping to build a deck someday (and even I don't have enough cards for
that yet).

Most players here have Anthelios and Port Authority - cards they got as
promos at our tournaments. But I don't see them in play either.

In Belo Horizonte, the situation is pretty similar. The playerbase
there is rather made of old-time players, but most of them stopped
buying or playing after Bloodlines, and only now they are starting to
play regularly again.

Eighteen of the Qualifier's twenty players came from those two cities,
which helps to explain why some of them were not familiar with the
Event mechanics.

Granted, they should be. But the truth is not all players keep
themselves properly informed of the new stuff they don't see in play.

Regards,

Luiz Mello
V:EKN Prince of Vitória

p.s.: My reply to Neil's message didn't show up on Google Groups,
although I got it on my newsreader. Did I do anything wrong or is it a
bug or something?

On 15 Apr 2005 06:22:01 -0700, "Clément" <lcmello@ig.com.br> wrote:

>> The curious thing was to see how many players still do not
>acknowledge
>> the Events mechanic. In almost all tables some asked things like 'Can
>> burn it?', 'It's a D action to burn it?', 'It's a vote?', 'Why are
>you
>> with only 5 cards in hand?' and such."

[snip]

>Eighteen of the Qualifier's twenty players came from those two cities,
>which helps to explain why some of them were not familiar with the
>Event mechanics.
>Granted, they should be. But the truth is not all players keep
>themselves properly informed of the new stuff they don't see in play.
>Regards,
>Luiz Mello
>V:EKN Prince of Vitória

Of course, David's impression is backed by the fact that Events see
*some* play in his city, Sao Paulo. I doubt his comment was anything
more than a wonder of someone who was playing outside his home base
for the first time.

I don't think that players should be familiarized with all new
mechanics, be them newbies or old-timers and everything in between.
The game has seen new mechanics in every expansion released, so it's
difficult to catch up. No matter how good a Prince you are, Luiz, some
would get distracted or even won't bother to do proper "research" to
be fully aware - they just want to have some reckless fun.

If I was to say something to a playgroup about this issue, it would be
something along these lines: you don't want to buy new expansions, or
you don't have the money, fine. You don't really need them to be
competitive. But... If you don't bother to keep yourself informed
about what are showing up in every expansion, fine. Just be prepared
to enter any tournament with a handicap - if you don't bother about
that, well, fine again.

best,

Fabio "Sooner" Macedo
V:TES National Coordinator for Brazil
Giovanni Newsletter Editor
V for Vendetta on the big screen!
http://vforvendetta.warnerbros.com/

> That was when the game was finished for me. He put a
> Foundation Exhibit in play, giving him 8 votes right away. Then he
> called 3 Consanguineous Boons, giving him some 25 pool [Note: David
> also called a couple Art Scams, actually giving him almost 30 pool].

Ah, that´s why good ol´ Delaying Tactics is still a good one :))

--
johannes walch

On Fri, 15 Apr 2005 13:41:45 +0100, Johannes Walch
<johannes.walch@vekn.de> wrote:

>> That was when the game was finished for me. He put a
>> Foundation Exhibit in play, giving him 8 votes right away. Then he
>> called 3 Consanguineous Boons, giving him some 25 pool [Note: David
>> also called a couple Art Scams, actually giving him almost 30 pool].
>
>Ah, that´s why good ol´ Delaying Tactics is still a good one :))

Yeah, this is a case where Confusion of the Eye wouldn't do jack to
save one's ass.

For some reason Delaying Tactics is not a staple in tournament decks
around here.