Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

ELDB 2005 .mdb Apostrophe File

Last response: in Video Games
Share
Anonymous
April 13, 2005 11:10:06 PM

Archived from groups: rec.games.trading-cards.jyhad (More info?)

....doesn't seem to allow you to add vampires to decks that have apostrophes
in the name, like Sir Marriot D'Urban and Aaron Duggan, Cameron's Toady.
The previous apostrophe version of the .mdb file had no problem with this.
(Strangely enough, library cards with apostrophes -like Aaron's Feeding
Razor - seem to work fine.)

Anyone know if I'm doing something wrong or does the new apostrophes version
of the MDB file have a problem?

Fred
Anonymous
April 14, 2005 2:25:04 AM

Archived from groups: rec.games.trading-cards.jyhad (More info?)

On Wed, 13 Apr 2005 19:10:06 -0700, "Frederick Scott"
<nospam@no.spam.dot.com> wrote:

>...doesn't seem to allow you to add vampires to decks that have apostrophes
>in the name, like Sir Marriot D'Urban and Aaron Duggan, Cameron's Toady.
>The previous apostrophe version of the .mdb file had no problem with this.
>(Strangely enough, library cards with apostrophes -like Aaron's Feeding
>Razor - seem to work fine.)

>Anyone know if I'm doing something wrong or does the new apostrophes version
>of the MDB file have a problem?

I have never been able to use the apostrophe version of the file, that
is why the tick version exists. It could certainly be something wrong
with the file itself, or with my version of Microsoft Access.
(Nothing has changed recently on my end though.)








Carpe noctem.

Lasombra

http://www.TheLasombra.com
Your best online source for information about V:TES.
Now also featuring individual card sales and sales
of booster and starter box displays.
Anonymous
April 14, 2005 2:25:05 AM

Archived from groups: rec.games.trading-cards.jyhad (More info?)

"The Lasombra" <TheLasombra@hotmail.com> wrote in message
news:k1lr51p0pg14jqm93se0c7toejmlmnml8i@4ax.com...
> On Wed, 13 Apr 2005 19:10:06 -0700, "Frederick Scott"
> <nospam@no.spam.dot.com> wrote:
>
>>...doesn't seem to allow you to add vampires to decks that have apostrophes
>>in the name, like Sir Marriot D'Urban and Aaron Duggan, Cameron's Toady.
>>The previous apostrophe version of the .mdb file had no problem with this.
>>(Strangely enough, library cards with apostrophes -like Aaron's Feeding
>>Razor - seem to work fine.)
>
>>Anyone know if I'm doing something wrong or does the new apostrophes version
>>of the MDB file have a problem?
>
> I have never been able to use the apostrophe version of the file, that
> is why the tick version exists. It could certainly be something wrong
> with the file itself, or with my version of Microsoft Access.
> (Nothing has changed recently on my end though.)

Odd. Your warning says only, "VTES-apostrophe.zip has apostrophes ' in the
card names. This may cause a BOF error when exporting the deck in HTML."

I've always figured that when I wanted to export an HTML file from a deck, I
could just clean it up myself. So I've been using the apostrophe version.
I've never had a problem with it before. In fact, I can swap in last
December's apostrophe version and it starts working again just fine. (But
then I don't have KMW cards, of course.) I think there must be some new issue.
(Also, the fact that library cards with apostrophes work but Vampire cards
don't seems like it ought to be a clue. But I don't know how you derive
these things.)

Fred
Related resources
Anonymous
April 14, 2005 4:39:06 AM

Archived from groups: rec.games.trading-cards.jyhad (More info?)

On Wed, 13 Apr 2005 20:19:10 -0700, "Frederick Scott"
<nospam@no.spam.dot.com> wrote:

>>>...doesn't seem to allow you to add vampires to decks that have apostrophes
>>>in the name, like Sir Marriot D'Urban and Aaron Duggan, Cameron's Toady.
>>>The previous apostrophe version of the .mdb file had no problem with this.
>>>(Strangely enough, library cards with apostrophes -like Aaron's Feeding
>>>Razor - seem to work fine.)

>>>Anyone know if I'm doing something wrong or does the new apostrophes version
>>>of the MDB file have a problem?

>> I have never been able to use the apostrophe version of the file, that
>> is why the tick version exists. It could certainly be something wrong
>> with the file itself, or with my version of Microsoft Access.
>> (Nothing has changed recently on my end though.)

>Odd. Your warning says only, "VTES-apostrophe.zip has apostrophes ' in the
>card names. This may cause a BOF error when exporting the deck in HTML."

>I've always figured that when I wanted to export an HTML file from a deck, I
>could just clean it up myself. So I've been using the apostrophe version.
>I've never had a problem with it before. In fact, I can swap in last
>December's apostrophe version and it starts working again just fine. (But
>then I don't have KMW cards, of course.) I think there must be some new issue.
>(Also, the fact that library cards with apostrophes work but Vampire cards
>don't seems like it ought to be a clue. But I don't know how you derive
>these things.)

Search and Replace.

A very nice little function built into Access.

If it was something with data entry, it would not have affected the
two you mention, as they were not new to KMW.






Carpe noctem.

Lasombra

http://www.TheLasombra.com
Your best online source for information about V:TES.
Now also featuring individual card sales and sales
of booster and starter box displays.
Anonymous
April 14, 2005 5:01:23 AM

Archived from groups: rec.games.trading-cards.jyhad (More info?)

On Wed, 13 Apr 2005 20:19:10 -0700, "Frederick Scott"
<nospam@no.spam.dot.com> wrote:

>>>...doesn't seem to allow you to add vampires to decks that have apostrophes
>>>in the name, like Sir Marriot D'Urban and Aaron Duggan, Cameron's Toady.
>>>The previous apostrophe version of the .mdb file had no problem with this.
>>>(Strangely enough, library cards with apostrophes -like Aaron's Feeding
>>>Razor - seem to work fine.)

>>>Anyone know if I'm doing something wrong or does the new apostrophes version
>>>of the MDB file have a problem?

I think I found it.
There is a field titled AltName.
This had used ticks in place of apostrophe's since the issue first
appeared. I must have used Search and replace on that field as well.

I have changed that field back to ticks, and recreated the apostrophe
database. You can find it at the appropriate Yahoo! group:

http://games.groups.yahoo.com/group/eldb3/





Carpe noctem.

Lasombra

http://www.TheLasombra.com
Your best online source for information about V:TES.
Now also featuring individual card sales and sales
of booster and starter box displays.
Anonymous
April 14, 2005 5:01:24 AM

Archived from groups: rec.games.trading-cards.jyhad (More info?)

"The Lasombra" <TheLasombra@hotmail.com> wrote in message
news:q5ur51lg9g6d7suko94ko0lug6mcb5pa2i@4ax.com...
> On Wed, 13 Apr 2005 20:19:10 -0700, "Frederick Scott"
> <nospam@no.spam.dot.com> wrote:
>
>>>>...doesn't seem to allow you to add vampires to decks that have apostrophes
>>>>in the name, like Sir Marriot D'Urban and Aaron Duggan, Cameron's Toady.
>>>>The previous apostrophe version of the .mdb file had no problem with this.
>>>>(Strangely enough, library cards with apostrophes -like Aaron's Feeding
>>>>Razor - seem to work fine.)
>
>>>>Anyone know if I'm doing something wrong or does the new apostrophes version
>>>>of the MDB file have a problem?
>
> I think I found it.
> There is a field titled AltName.
> This had used ticks in place of apostrophe's since the issue first
> appeared. I must have used Search and replace on that field as well.
>
> I have changed that field back to ticks, and recreated the apostrophe
> database. You can find it at the appropriate Yahoo! group:
>
> http://games.groups.yahoo.com/group/eldb3/

Yep, that seems to have fixed it. Thanks!

Fred
!