AGP 8x vs 4x performance

deadeye

Distinguished
Mar 28, 2003
I know some of this doesn't particularly tie into this section re- the motherboard, but didn't want to split up my post.

My current PC system is based around an Asus A7V333 motherboard and an Athlon XP2100 CPU, which I built about 8 months ago (when the A7V333 had just come out). I've had no problems at all with my Radeon 8500 graphics card and all it well. I have just got a new Radeon 9700 card and am therefore considering upgrading motherboard to provide an AGP 8x interface rather than the 4x present on the Asus board. However no-where can I find performance data to see what kind of an increase the 8x AGP would have. Is it worth it? I know that the performance of the 9700 will also be dependent on the CPU running, how much difference would a processor upgrade make? Assuming that I can get a reasonable improvement by the upgrade, can you suggest a motherboard to satisfy my requirements: (both a P4 and an AMD choice)

Must support Ultra ATA133, and RAID ATA133 (one of the reasons for buying the original A7V333) 6 channel audio Lan (Gigabit preferred, but 100MB/S Ok) USB2 support Firewire AGP 8x Serial ATA - This would be nice, but is not a requirement as the technology is still very new and I will have probably upgraded again before it is commonplace!

In terms of chipsets, I do not really mind, though I know there have been some known problems with certain chipsets and the 9700 cards.

Many thanks in anticipation.

Paul Baker

selfbuilt

Distinguished
Jan 30, 2003
8X AGP doesn't actually give you any benefit at all over 4X AGP at present. I have a Radeon 9500 Pro on the Asus A7V8X (next board up from yours), and I can tell you that 8X is irrelevant (everything runs exactly the same at 4X).

What will matter more is other aspects of the mobo, specifically its chipset. You can check out the reviews here at Tom's and other places, but frankly the new nforce2 chipsets (e.g. Asus A7N8X) win hands down.

How much of a benefit you would see from such an upgrade is hard to say ... it would certainly be measurable, but I don't know if it would be noticeable (if you catch my drift).

Where does good judgement come from? Experience. Where does experience come from? Bad judgement.