Power supply strong enough to run 9700 Pro?

pinoyboy

Distinguished
Mar 28, 2003
Hi. I want to go and buy a 9700 pro video card and I know that it requires at least a 300w power supply. My computer is an HP, so i asked them if i could go to a local store and buy and install a bigger power supply. They responded with:

HP does not recommend that the power supply in any of its machines be changed or replaced. Changing the power supply could damage other system components.As per the product specifications of Pavilion 753n,the power supply present in your PC can support an input voltage of around 110V - 230V and has the maximum output voltage of 124W or 149W

Now is this true because the power supply is propietary? And if it is, there any way for me to use a 9700 Pro on my PC? Also, is my present Power suplly enough or do i still need a new one? Thanks in advance. I've asked at several different places, and then someone reccomended me to ask here.

Willamette_sucks

Distinguished
Feb 24, 2002
Screw HP. HP is gay. Of course they would say that, if you replace your power supply you void your warrantee, however i recommend doing this anyways. I dont think your current power supply is enough for a 9700 pro.

Long live ATI.

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
HP uses standard power supplies, but they are NOT ATX. They have the same wiring, but a smaller size. The two varieties they use are SFX and PSIII.

PSIII looks like an ATX on the outside, but is shorter front to back, using an ATX power supply in those cases usually blocks the CD-ROM from installing.

SFX is smaller in every direction.

<font color=blue>Watts mean squat if you don't have quality!</font color=blue>

pinoyboy

Distinguished
Mar 28, 2003
So, if i go and open my computer and look at the information on the psu, it will tell me if its either a SFX or PSIII type? And which ever one it is, i should get that kind? Also, where can i find one that's SFX or PSIII online? Thanks in advance

<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by pinoyboy on 03/29/03 01:10 AM.</EM></FONT></P>