[Newsletter] Official VEKN Malkavian Antitribu Newsletter,..

Official VEKN Malkavian Antitribu NEWSLETTER, April 2005
VOLUME IV, Issue VII

1. INTRODUCTION

This newsletter is dedicated to blood-draining... a pleasant words for
all vampires, no? Not this time, since we're going to drain blood of
opposing vampires, not just feed upon the kine. A theory of
blood-draining is simple: each Methuselah has 30 pool, and the combined
number of (his pool + blood of his vampires) generally decreases during
the game as his vampires spend their blood. Some actions do increase
this number, however: the most important ones are hunt and Govern-like
actions (Fourth Tradition, The Call and so on). There are "bloating"
decks that concentrate on building up their pool and blood stockpiles,
but this strategy requires a lot of time, and your prey may get some
VPs while you would collect the pool. Thus, bloating usually represents
just a survival tech of a deck, not the primary strategy.
Now imagine that you're playing a deck that actively drains blood of
your prey's vampires. There are numerous ways to implement this theme:
Cryptic Mission, Shadow Twin, Slaughtering the Herd, etc. etc. If your
deck is powerful enough, you may weaken their Minion Taps and force
your prey to use Blood Dolls in the other way to prevent hunting
instead of regaining the pool. A very powerful deck would completely
stop its prey and force his vampires to hunt each turn. If you manage
to build even more powerful blood-drainer, it will torporize vampires
of your prey without entering combat!

2. HERE WE ARE

In the previous newsletter I promised to call Mind of a Killer my Card
of the Month "sometimes". Nobody likes to wait, neither do I, so I
decided that "now" is the best time for this. Mind of a Killer really
deserves it, and our clan has some dirty tricks to make it work. The
most "dirty" trick is, certainly, our trusted Sibyl's Tongue, which can
fetch any card we need in time. Without further ado, let's examine our
blood-draining arsenal!

3. CARDS OF THE MONTH

Mind of a Killer Action (Rare)
+1 stealth action.
[dem] (D) Put this card on a ready minion. This minion gets +1
strength. Burn this card when a combat involving this minion ends.
During this minion's discard phase, burn this card, and this minion's
controller must inflict 2 damage on another ready minion he or she
controls.
[DEM] As above, and tap this minion when this card is burned.

To make this card work, you must ensure that the minion with it won't
enter combat. The most obvious way to achieve this is using Chimerstry
cards that tap one minion forever (Sensory Deprivation or Nightmare
Curse). Fortunately, you need to tap only one minion, as the damage is
inflicted to ANOTHER ready minion. Thus, your tactics is quite simple:
tap the largest vampire of your prey and play as many Minds of a Killer
on that vampire as you can. If your prey plays rather popular "one
large vamp + many small ones" deck, this tactics sometimes disables
your prey in a couple of turns. You tap a 10-cap vampire, and 3-4 Minds
of a Killer make the remaining vampires empty.
If you want to play without Chimerstry, you have several other options.
Yitzak can tap a younger vampire each turn, and you will almost always
find a vampire to tap, as Yitzak's capacity is 7. Moreover, you can
play Obfuscate skill cards on Yitzak, which will make him older (to tap
larger vampires) and allow him to sneak past possible blockers.
Unfortunately, a deck based on Yitzak won't be able to tap very large
vampires, and Lazverinus or Arika-based decks are going to be tough
preys.
Pentex Subversion is a good choice for the decks with good intercept.
This card is very good even without Mind of a Killer, but the
combination is really amazing. Pentex Subversion can handle even
Infernal vampires that are unaffected by Sensory Deprivation or
Yitzak's ability, and this is invaluable. Your vampire CAN untap, he
just cannot perform any actions :) Most of the decks based on Mind of a
Killer will need intercept anyway, as this strategy requires more time
than just bleeding at stealth or killing all vampires of your prey, so
you should be able to protect Pentex Subversion.
The last card I'm going to review here is The Louvre, Paris, which can
tap any minion if you control Prince of Paris. Again, you need
intercept to protect The Louvre, but this card is very powerful, and it
also works even against Infernal vampires. What about Prince of Paris?
Fortunately, Francois Villon, who is going to be a star of our show,
already has the title!

Vampiric Disease Master (Rare)
Choose a controlled vampire; put a disease counter on him or her if he
or she does not have one. Each time a vampire with a disease counter is
in combat at close range with another vampire, the second vampire gets
a counter as well. An afflicted vampire cannot gain blood by hunting.
When an afflicted vampire untaps, he or she burns a blood, or, if
unable, loses all disease counters.

This card really makes wonders in a blood-draining deck - it drains
blood and prevents gaining blood by hunting. But its "spreading"
behaviour makes it even better with Mind of a Killer: who would block a
vampire with a disease counter? And if nobody would block the vampire,
you can safely play multiple Minds of a Killer on him. This tactics
definitely won't work against Rush decks that can rush you and give the
disease counters to your own vampires, but it's good enough against
other decks. If your grandprey would block your prey and get some
disease counters, it may be even better for you :)

Hidden Pathways Action(Rare)
Cost: 1 blood
[obf] Put this card in play. Your minions get +1 stealth on
non-bleeding (D) actions against your prey. Any minion may burn this
card as a (D) action. A Methuselah may have only one Hidden Pathways in
play.
[OBF] As above, but playing this card is a +1 stealth action.

This card is a "must-have" for any deck based on Mind of a Killer. Mind
of a Killer has inbuilt +1 stealth, and Hidden Pathways adds +1 more,
so even your weenies without Obfuscate will play it at +2 stealth,
which isn't very easy to block. Unlike Psychic Veil, this card can work
infinitely, until someobody would spend an action to burn it, and you
can always try to block this attempt. Even if they manage to burn
Hidden Pathways, you can just play another one.

4. VAMPIRES OF THE MONTH

Name: Francois Villon [DS:V, CE:pTo]
Clan: Toreador
Group: 2
Capacity: 10
Discipline: chi obf pot AUS CEL PRE
Camarilla Prince of Paris: Francois may steal up to 2 blood from a
younger vampire as a +1 stealth (D) action. +1 bleed.

Francois is Toreador, and he has all Toreador Disciplines at superior,
but we don't need his Celerity, Presence and Potence. Why we are going
to play Francois, then? Obviously, we need the rest Disciplines and
abilities:
* Auspex allows him to block opposing vampires, bounce bleeds or play
Nightmare Curse.
* Chimerstry is needed for Nightmare Curse, but should be upgraded to
superior level with a skill card.
* Obfuscate is needed to push Nightmare Curse or blood-stealing. Can be
upgraded to superior level, if needed.
* Prince title is needed for Second Traditions to block and Fourth
Traditions to gain pool and transfers, as this deck has no Dominate for
Governs. Besides that, having votes is always good.
* Prince of Paris title is needed for The Louvre, which is very good in
our deck.
* Blood-draining ability is awesome in a blood-draining deck. When you
play Chimerstry on Francois, which is your primary goal, he will be
able to drain even 10-capacity monsters.
* +1 bleed is obviously good :)

Obviously, Francois is going to perform multiple tasks, leaving Minds
of a Killer to the lesser vamps. Younger !Malks, in turn, can play
Sibyl's Tongues to fetch Chimerstry and Nihtmare Curse. This approach
is implemented in my first "deck of the month" (see below).

Name: Yitzak [BH:U2]
Clan: Toreador antitribu
Group: 3
Capacity: 7
Discipline: pre AUS CEL THA
Sabbat: Yitzak may tap a younger vampire as a (D) action. If
successful, that vampire does not untap as normal during his or her
next untap phase.

Now we have Toreador antitribu without a title, but with a good ability
and superior Thaumaturgy. Yitzak really needs only one Obfuscate skill
card to become effective enough, but a second one won't hurt, either.
Really large vampires (9-11 caps) are immune to his ability even with
two skill cards, but most of the time you will find a suitable target.
Certainly, Yitzak lacks most of Francous' abilities, but he's much
cheaper. And while he lacks inbuilt ability to steal blood, his
superior Thaumaturgy enables Theft of Vitae, which is also good enough.

5. DECKS OF THE MONTH

Deck Name: Mind of a Killer - Francois Villon version
Created By: Ilya Ginsburg

Crypt: (12 cards, Min: 10, Max: 40, Avg: 6)
4 Francois Villon chi obf pot AUS CEL PRE 10 Toreador
1 Yorik dem obf 3 !Malkavian
1 Claven aus dem obf 4 !Malkavian
1 Boy Toy dem 2 !Malkavian
1 Dolphin Black AUS DEM OBF 6 !Malkavian
1 Artemis aus cel for DEM OBF 6 !Malkavian
1 Persia aus obf DEM 5 Malkavian
1 Uncle George aus dom obf DEM 5 !Malkavian
1 Eddie Gaines dem pot 1 Caitiff

Library: (90 cards)
-------------------
Master (16 cards)
1 Louvre, Paris, The
1 Vampiric Disease
1 Pentex Subversion
1 Chimerstry
2 Obfuscate
5 Blood Doll
2 Vast Wealth
1 Rumor Mill, Tabloid Newspaper, The
1 KRCG News Radio
1 Metro Underground

Action (38 cards)
22 Mind of a Killer
4 Fourth Tradition: The Accounting, The
6 Sibyl`s Tongue
3 Nightmare Curse
3 Hidden Pathways

Action Modifier (13 cards)
5 Forgotten Labyrinth
4 Lost in Crowds
4 Elder Impersonation

Reaction (18 cards)
6 Telepathic Misdirection
6 Second Tradition: Domain, The
6 Wake with Evening`s Freshness

Ally (1 cards)
1 Carlton Van Wyk (Hunter)

Equipment (3 cards)
1 Bowl of Convergence
1 Sniper Rifle
1 Learjet

Event (1 cards)
1 Restricted Vitae

This deck has two "primary targets", which you may achieve in different
order:
* Get Chimerstry for Francois Villon. This makes him older and allows
draining blood of 10-cap vampires. Then you should concentrate on
getting Nightmare Curse, The Louvre or Pentex Subversion.
* Get Vast Wealth on Francois. Then fetch your equipment and defend
against your predator while you are seeking for the parts of your
combo. Learjet is especially good for cycling cards.
The rest is rather self-explanatory. Defend yourself, play Minds of a
Killer, block with Francois, steal blood and regain your pool with
Fourth Traditions and Blood Dolls. Obfuscate cards are used to push
crucial actions, especially Nightmare Curse. You shouldn't attempt it
until you'll have at least +2 stealth for it - the card is too
important to let your prey block it. Playing Obfuscate skill card on
Francois is a good idea.
Any blood-draining deck should prevent hunting, and we have Restricted
Vitae and Vampiric Disease against it. Moreover, Carlton Van Wyk can
block hunting if needed.
Metro Underground is good for untapping Francois, as he's going to
steal blood and to block. One Blood Doll is enough to negate the pool
loss for this card.

Deck Name: Mind of a Killer - Yitzak version
Created By: Ilya Ginsburg

Crypt: (12 cards, Min: 10, Max: 28, Avg: 5,08)
1 Yorik dem obf 3 !Malkavian
1 Claven aus dem obf 4 !Malkavian
1 Boy Toy dem 2 !Malkavian
1 Persia aus obf DEM 5 Malkavian
1 Eddie Gaines dem pot 1 Caitiff
3 Yitzak pre AUS CEL THA 7 !Toreador
3 Marie Faucigny dem tha AUS OBF 7 !Malkavian
1 Adelaide Davis aus dem obf 4 Malkavian

Library: (90 cards)
-------------------
Master (18 cards)
1 Vampiric Disease
1 Pentex Subversion
3 Obfuscate
5 Blood Doll
2 Vast Wealth
1 Rumor Mill, Tabloid Newspaper, The
1 KRCG News Radio
2 Effective Management
2 Dreams of the Sphinx

Action (31 cards)
22 Mind of a Killer
6 Sibyl`s Tongue
3 Hidden Pathways

Action Modifier (13 cards)
5 Forgotten Labyrinth
4 Lost in Crowds
4 Elder Impersonation

Reaction (12 cards)
6 Telepathic Misdirection
6 Wake with Evening`s Freshness

Combat (6 cards)
6 Burst of Sunlight

Ally (1 cards)
1 Carlton Van Wyk (Hunter)

Equipment (5 cards)
1 Bowl of Convergence
1 Learjet
1 Ivory Bow
2 Flak Jacket

Event (1 cards)
1 Restricted Vitae

Combo (3 cards)
3 Swallowed by the Night

This deck is essentially the same, but we have to dump all
Prince-requiring stuff and The Louvre. Instead of these cards we have a
decent combat module (Flak Jacket + Bursts of Sunlight) and a bit more
stealth. You may build Thefts of Vitae version if you wish, even with
Blur/Pursuit for additional strikes, but Minds of a Killer really need
a lot of support cards, so it's hard to find enough free slots for the
combat cards, IMHO.
Maybe, this deck should contain a Cardinal Benediction for Yitzak.

That's all for April. As usual, any comments or ideas are appreciated.

Yours,
Ector

On Fri, 15 Apr 2005, Ector wrote:

> Pentex Subversion is a good choice for the decks with good intercept.
> This card is very good even without Mind of a Killer, but the
> combination is really amazing. Pentex Subversion can handle even
> Infernal vampires that are unaffected by Sensory Deprivation or
> Yitzak's ability, and this is invaluable. Your vampire CAN untap, he
> just cannot perform any actions :) Most of the decks based on Mind of a
> Killer will need intercept anyway, as this strategy requires more time
> than just bleeding at stealth or killing all vampires of your prey, so
> you should be able to protect Pentex Subversion.

Great use for Mind of a Killer. It seems like an all-out Pentex
Subversion deck might work better than the Francois or Yitzak versions you
posted. With a more focused crypt you could add a Kindred Spirits bleed
module to help pay the cost of the Pentex Subversions and then maybe a few
cards devoted to defending the Subversions and surviving combat.

I'd also add Fame and Sleep of Reason. Your decks should have ample
opportunity to play Sleep of Reason.

Matt Morgan

Ector wrote:

> 4. VAMPIRES OF THE MONTH

Hazimel
Clan: Ravnos (group 4)
Capacity: 11
Disciplines: ANI AUS CHI FOR POT dem
Independent: Hazimel has 2 votes (titled). Non-Ravnos vampires must burn
2 blood to attempt a (D) action that targets Hazimel or a card or
counter on him. +1 bleed.

Rarity: Gehenna:U

You could re-work the deck so as not to need Obfuscate at all or, since
you seem open to building decks that require skill cards, he can get an
Obfuscate one as easily as Yitzak or Francois can get theres.

--

David Cherryholmes

Matthew T. Morgan wrote:

> Great use for Mind of a Killer. It seems like an all-out Pentex
> Subversion deck might work better than the Francois or Yitzak
versions you
> posted. With a more focused crypt you could add a Kindred Spirits
bleed
> module to help pay the cost of the Pentex Subversions and then maybe
a few
> cards devoted to defending the Subversions and surviving combat.
Do you mean an "all-out Pentex Subversion deck" with Minds of a Killer
or without them? Mind of Killer needs a lot of cheap vampires with
Dementation, so it would be rather difficult to include a decent
intercept module needed for Pentex Subversion.
Maybe, Carna + Marie Faucigny + Thaumaturgy combat? Really not sure
about that.

> I'd also add Fame and Sleep of Reason. Your decks should have ample
> opportunity to play Sleep of Reason.
>
> Matt Morgan
The initial versions of my decks did include Sleep of Reason, but then
I realized that it isn't needed. You are going to invalidate the best
vampire of your prey, and your Minds of a Killer should eventually
torporize the rest minions even without Sleep of Reason. The latter
card is too situational, IMHO, but I'm going to build a deck with
Hannibal/Sleep of Reason/Sacrificial Lamb sometimes :)

Yours,
Ector

David Cherryholmes wrote:
> Ector wrote:
>
> > 4. VAMPIRES OF THE MONTH
>
> Hazimel
> Clan: Ravnos (group 4)
> Capacity: 11
> Disciplines: ANI AUS CHI FOR POT dem
> Independent: Hazimel has 2 votes (titled). Non-Ravnos vampires must
burn
> 2 blood to attempt a (D) action that targets Hazimel or a card or
> counter on him. +1 bleed.
>
> Rarity: Gehenna:U
>

> You could re-work the deck so as not to need Obfuscate at all or,
since
> you seem open to building decks that require skill cards, he can get
an
> Obfuscate one as easily as Yitzak or Francois can get theres.
>
> --
>
> David Cherryholmes
Hazimel was my third option, after Francois and Yitzak. He really has
some advantages:

* inbuilt AUS/CHI for Nightmare Curse
* good protection ability in case of Rush decks wishing to kill your
Cursing vampire
* Dementation - he can play Mind of a Killer himself!

But, really, Francois offers much, much more for this deck (his
blood-draining ability is awesome!), and both vampires need at least
one skill card to be fully operational. And Hazimel is Group 4... maybe
sometimes we'll get some great G4 vampires for this theme, and Hazimel
would be better.

Yours,
Ector