Recommendations for High-End Notebook please

Status
Not open for further replies.

manarak

Distinguished
Oct 11, 2006
Hello

I currently have 2 Sony AR51SU notebooks and would like to upgrade.

I'm very concerned with QUALITY.
Both AR51SUs broke down (one time VGA adapter, the other time the Mainboard, may have been the same fault though), luckily within warranty.
My father's notebook broke down too as well as 2 computers of mine.
It seems that everything I bought after the year 2000 is crap (I own several notebooks and computers from before 2000 and they still run OK).
It seems VGA adapters are a very weak spot in modern notebooks, because of heat-induced material changes due to daily use of turning the notebooks on and off. I would like a solid VGA adapter that's guaranteed to last for years of daily use.
The notebook will be transported very often and be used under very different climates - need for good construction quality.

I didn't spec processor and VGA adapter, I think the other stuff is more important.
Reading the above, you already guess I have been often disappointed in notebooks - I hope you can point me to a product that won't disappoint!

Thank you in advance

Here's my answers to the standard format questionnaire:

1_What is your budget?
is of no concern at this stage

2_What is the size of the notebook that you are considering?
17" to 18" display size

3_What screen resolution do you want?
1920x1200 minimum

4_Do you need a portable or desktop replacement laptop?
desktop replacement

5_How much battery life do you need?
2 hours minimum

6_Do you want to play games with your laptop? If so then please list the games that you want to with the settings that you want for these games. (Low,Medium or High)?
Gaming is not the primary use for the laptop, but my kids could use it for gaming sometimes.
The highest priority is a graphics adapter that will not break down and will not overheat.
Of course the desired settings are the highest possible, but my priority is quality, I absolutely want a VGA adapter that won't break down.

7_What other tasks do you want to do with your laptop? (Photo / Video editing,watching movies, Etc.)
web design (adobe photoshop, illustrator, dreamweaver)
Photo editing
Video editing and rendering
Web Design

8_How much storage (H.D.D Capacity) do you need?
500 GB of usable space minimum, 1 TB better
Drives MUST be in RAID 1 configuration
Will consider SSD

9_If you are considering specific sites to buy from, please post the links to them.
no

10_How long do you want to keep your laptop?
as long as possible. 5 years
I want equipment that won't die sooner than after 5 years of daily use.

11_What kind of Optical drive do you need? DVD ROM/Writer,Bluray ROM/Writer,Etc ?
a robust CD/DVD R/W and bluray reader

12_Please tell us about the brands that you prefer to buy from them and the brands that you don't like and explain the reasons.
I'm flexible - I'm at a loss when it comes to chose a brand, I had crashes and failures with many brands since the year 2000.... it seems everything made past that date is crap.

13_What country do you live in?
Switzerland

14_Please tell us any additional information if needed.
RAID 1
need USB 3 and Firewire 400/800 connectors
video in, HDMI out
TV-in and MS Media Center software with remote control
high capacity card reader
as much RAM as necessary, 4 GB minimum
Windows 7 professional or ultimate
and of course gigabit LAN, WIFI, Bluetooth, etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.