Ruling for Psionic Elocator's "Scorn Earth" ability?

Mouse

Distinguished
Nov 19, 2003

http://www.d20srd.org/srd/psionic/prestigeClasses/elocater.htm

.... from now on, she can float a foot above the ground ... at
distances higher than 1 foot above any surface, her speed diminishes
to 10 feet per round ... While she remains within 1 foot of a surface,
she can make melee and ranged attacks normally, but if she moves any
higher, she incurs the penalties on melee and ranged attack rolls as
if she were the subject of the psionic levitate power.

My first interpretation was "... but if she moves any higher [through
some other power, such as levitate], she incurs the penalties ..."

Second possible interpretation is that the power replaces /psionic
levitate/, with a speed of 10' round.

Is my first interpretation too harsh? Of course, DM is final arbiter
blah blah blah.

--
Either way, I hate you Count Chocula, if I didn't already.
- Drifter Bob, rec.games.frp.dnd

Mouse wrote:
> http://www.d20srd.org/srd/psionic/prestigeClasses/elocater.htm
>

> ... from now on, she can float a foot above the ground ... at
> distances higher than 1 foot above any surface, her speed diminishes
> to 10 feet per round ... While she remains within 1 foot of a surface,
> she can make melee and ranged attacks normally, but if she moves any
> higher, she incurs the penalties on melee and ranged attack rolls as
> if she were the subject of the psionic levitate power.
>
> My first interpretation was "... but if she moves any higher [through
> some other power, such as levitate], she incurs the penalties ..."
>
> Second possible interpretation is that the power replaces /psionic
> levitate/, with a speed of 10' round.
>

> Is my first interpretation too harsh?

Yes. I would interpret this only as appling when she is using the
power. I'd also not the 'can' part, which would seem to mean she
doesn't need to use the power, and can turn it off when using another,
thereby ignoring any penalties anyway.

- Justisaur

Mouse wrote:
> http://www.d20srd.org/srd/psionic/prestigeClasses/elocater.htm
>

> ... from now on, she can float a foot above the ground ... at
> distances higher than 1 foot above any surface, her speed diminishes
> to 10 feet per round ... While she remains within 1 foot of a surface,
> she can make melee and ranged attacks normally, but if she moves any
> higher, she incurs the penalties on melee and ranged attack rolls as
> if she were the subject of the psionic levitate power.
>
> My first interpretation was "... but if she moves any higher [through
> some other power, such as levitate], she incurs the penalties ..."
>
> Second possible interpretation is that the power replaces /psionic
> levitate/, with a speed of 10' round.
>
> Is my first interpretation too harsh? Of course, DM is final arbiter
> blah blah blah.

Yeah, I've seen a lot of debates on this one. It's pretty badly
phrased.

I don't know what the original intent was. I wouldn't allow it, simply
because it makes taking a single level of Elocater way too attractive
(and powerful) for a whole bunch of psonic builds.

I interpret it like this: the Elocater cannot ever use his Scorn Earth
power to move _upward_ more than 1 foot above the ground. If he finds
himself higher than 1 foot above the ground for any reason, he can move
with a speed of 10'/round in any direction except upwards (he must stay
at the same altitude or lower).

This still makes it a great ability: besides the obvious effect
allowing him to ignore most terrain features, Scorn Earth is also a
very much improved Feather Fall.

Laszlo