Reset to RaidPort1 Causing Crash/Freeze?(Esata?)

endoftheline2

Distinguished
May 9, 2009
I've been running windows 7 ultimate since the retail version came out, and I've almost never had a freeze or specific crash that I can remember. About a week ago I had a random total windows freeze while I was in gmail and I had to a a hard reboot.

Then tonight I was playing a .avi video file (just dvd resolution not even HD) on my LCDTV (that I have connected via HDMI to my PC) like I have been for like 6 months, and my PC randomly rebooted after it was playing for 10 minutes. And then about every 10 minutes after that initial crash the movie would freeze with the sound looping. About 3 of the 5 times of this happening, I could unmaximize the video and close it and reopen it no problem after like 30 seconds of it being frozen, but the other 2 times the PC seemed to totally freeze up, and needed to be rebooted.

After all this happened I checked the windows system logs, and I saw a warning about every 3 minutes from the source NVSTOR saying, "Reset to device, \Device\RaidPort1 was issued".

http://img820.imageshack.us/img820/2332/nvstoreventlog.jpg

Event log had about 50 occurrences of this from like 12:30am to 1:50am which was the time frame all the freezing was occurring in. Whats really weird is I then went back into the event log to get a screen shot like a few hours later (and write this post), and most of the time entries are somehow missing from around that time, even thought I clearly saw them just a few hours ago, and now there is only 1 instance of the nvstor Warning, maybe event log combined all 50 or so into this one or something.

At anyrate I am wondering if this RaidPort1 is one of the ports on my PCI-E Esata Card which does support raid. I did have a esata HD connected to one of the ports during all of this (although the Esata HD's power was physically switched off the entire time, the esata cable was physically connected)

I am really trying to get to the bottom of this and figure out what the heck is happening here, because I've played like 100's of movies in 1080p all the time with no problems, and now seemly out of no where I'm getting freezeing/crashing that is maybe related to a SATA drive? it doesn't make much sense to me. Please let me know if anyone has any ideas on this, or has ideas I can use to troubleshoot check things on this.

>Update
So while I was finishing editing this post windows just completely froze again.
I rebooted using regular reset button on my CPU.

Then it hanged at this first bios screen
> http://img810.imageshack.us/img810/8798/1stbios.jpg
for about 1 minute before loading the second screen, then it hanged at this 2nd bios screen
>http://img191.imageshack.us/img191/7646/2ndbios.jpg
with Boot from CD: at the bottom for more than 4 minutes, and I then held in the power button to fully turn it off. (No optical media had been in the optical drive for weeks)

Then it booted up fine, and I checked the windows system logs and they only just a critical error from like a minute ago saying that the previous shutdown was not improper. The esata was unplugged this whole time, and I dont see the nvstor in the event log so now I am really not sure what is going on.

number13

Distinguished
May 20, 2008
its a Nvidia fault code, try this first: open an command prompt (All Programs, Accessories, right click on Command Prompt and select Run as Administrator" ), in the cmd prompt type sfc /scannow see what happens

endoftheline2

Distinguished
May 9, 2009
Ok, i just ran it and it says Windows Resource Protection did not find any integrity violations.

I also just played the Dark Knight in 1080p for about 1 hour to test my stability and everything went fine. I am testing more to see what is happening.

endoftheline2

Distinguished
May 9, 2009
Ok, the freezing problem still exists, and it looks like it is directly caused by Nvstor issuing a reset to the raid device. The freeze just happened like 6 times in the past 20 minutes, and every time it happened there was a entry in the event log from nvstor issuing the reset to the raid device. Basically windows completely freezes for about 45 seconds, then unfreezes and everything seems normal.

http://img18.imageshack.us/img18/3690/nvstormasseventlog.jpg

Anyone have any ideas on how to stop this nvstor from issuing this reset, and maybe what nvstor even is? is it related to nvidia?

This is the PCI-E Esata card that I do have installed that does have raid:
http://www.iogear.com/product/GICe702S3R5W6/

and I think my motherboard, the NVIDIA nForce 680i, may also have some built in raid options.

number13

Distinguished
May 20, 2008
I think you are very close, the nvstor is an Nvidia program, for the on board SATA , maybe it wants to be the raid controller, I did a search of nvstor bsod and got a tremendous response, most seem to be with Vista before sp1, but they list was long, so there is a issue with the driver, in you case perhaps the raid card drivers and nvstor don't get along, what make and model card are you using

number13

Distinguished
May 20, 2008
OK, so you are using 1 or 2 External E-SATA device to do RAID, right, why not use the onboard controller to do RAID?, so it looks like there is a driver conflict with the IOGEAR drivers and the Nvidia SATA drivers, contact IOGEAR support and explain the problem, see if they have a fix or can help

endoftheline2

Distinguished
May 9, 2009
well I am actually not using the RAID at all, I have the onboard disabled and I'm just using the iogear PCI-E card as a esata port with just one drive at a time. Right now I am using updated Nvidia drivers to see if that solves the issue.

endoftheline2

Distinguished
May 9, 2009
Don't have either was just using a regular esata external Hard Drive for backup to my computer.

I just tried the 15.35 Nvidia Drivers(not the latest drivers but newer than mine were) and still got the freeze about 8 hours later with 3 sort of error messages occuring.

The freezes started at 2:56am

event logs shows 2 of them:
http://img529.imageshack.us/img529/5894/newnvstor64cdromdevicer.jpg

"nvstor64" instead of nvstor and "cdrom" are both now causing problems it seems

and also I just got a Nvidia popup error message shown as a status in bottom right: “Nvidia Display Adapter 1.97.45 stopped responding and has now recovered”

I am now thinking of testing the newest drivers.

jehartley

Distinguished
Jul 18, 2010

I have been having this problem for awhile as well with an additional issue. Immediatley after getting the reset, I get another nvstor64 error that removes my dvd drive.