Sign in with
Your question

Vid Card/ MOBO Catch 22

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
March 30, 2003 10:07:37 PM

I'm building a new machine from scratch and seemed to have run into a snag. I haven't put anything together yet, just reading the manuals through. I've got a Shuttle AS45GTR with the SIS chipset and a ATI AIW 9700 with a new 200 gig drive.

Reading the AIW manaul it says that I must install the SIS drivers before installing the vid card. But since I'm starting fresh I really don't have that chance do I? The whole manual is set up assuming that you are replacing an existing card. But that's not my case.

Any tips?

Thanks!!

More about : vid card mobo catch

March 30, 2003 10:41:38 PM

You can install the chipset driver before installing AIW driver, simply after your fresh installation of the Windows click 'cancel' on the graphic card driver installation wizard then install your chipset driver.

You never know how stupid you are until you have done something stupid enough for you to realize it.
<A HREF="http://www.anandtech.com/mysystemrig.html?id=22996" target="_new">My System Rig</A>
a b U Graphics card
April 1, 2003 5:51:26 AM

You install the card, but not the drivers. You load the system, install the SiS chipset drivers, then install the video card drivers. The video card will be treated as a generic VGA card until the drivers are installed.

<font color=blue>Watts mean squat if you don't have quality!</font color=blue>
!