PCI-X Graphics Cards anytime soon?

fireflayer

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2001
I bought a new Dell server that I'm really liking. I'd like to maybe be able to run some basic games on it though and it doesn't have AGP, but it does have PCI-X. Does anyone know if there are going to be any PCI-X graphic cards coming out soon? Just wondering if I should wait or if I should just buy a normal 32-bit PCI graphics card for it and hopes it works decently.

Thanks

LumberJack

Distinguished
Feb 13, 2003
As far as I know... don't bet on it...
It's too bad you couldn't get an AGP card. New server mobos are including that now. I say you will be stuck with a pci card. Unfortunately I don't know if you can find a fast enough card. As far as I know there are only ATI 7500 quivalents...

To err is human... to really screw things up you need a computer!

rcf84

Splendid
Dec 31, 2007
PCI-x is meant for servers. You wont see no real 3d card unless some Professional cad cards are for it. Sad to say AGP is the only real platform for gamers till next year when 16x PCI-Express replaces it. Pci-express cant be used with Pci-x so you stuck..

Best bet is a Radeon 9000 pci or GF4 MX pci.

-------
I been registered here for too long :-\

fireflayer

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2001
Alright, thanks... I definetly didn't buy it for games... but I'm thinking if I can get a decent price on a PCI card it would be cool to have another box that can do some decent games if someone wants to use it at a LAN for CS or Q3A or something... and also maybe have a bit more stuff to try WineX/Wine with.

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
As far as I know, Intel's PCI-Express will replace PCI, AGP, and PCI-X in the future. Which would imply that there won't be enough of a market for PCI-X video cards.

<font color=blue>Watts mean squat if you don't have quality!</font color=blue>

flamethrower205

Illustrious
Jun 26, 2001
Haven't read much about it to be honest, but from what you guys say, this looks really promising. I mean no longer will we run into bandwith issues w/ huge raid arrays thru pci and such (well at least for the now, when 1GB/s hdd's come out we can start worrying again :smile: ).

Hilbert space is a big place.