Loop2k

Distinguished
Mar 31, 2003
I just bought a NEW Sapphire Radeon 9700 and i have a problem. When ive installed the drivers and set the res for 1024x768 as i use... The picture is not "aligned" to the monitor. i have to "scroll" the picture to each side. But when i set the res to 1280x1024 i get the full picture. WHY!?!?!?! WHAT CAN I DO?????????

Loop2k

Distinguished
Mar 31, 2003
not that i know of.... haven't been that way for me before with any other card... i dont want it to be like that!

Ghostdog

Distinguished
May 28, 2002
My displayed picture was also slightly dis-aligned when I installed the card. Your monitor has (or should atleast have) some controls to move the picture so that it better fits the monitor.

<font color=red>I´m starting to feel like a real computer consultant.</font color=red>

Loop2k

Distinguished
Mar 31, 2003
Its not like that... the picture is enlarged when i change settings.. like if the monitor is smal and you put a large image on it and it doesnt fit.. its hard for me to explain

redface

Distinguished
Feb 17, 2003
You better tell us what is the dimension of your monitor 15", 17", 21"? Is it LCD or CRT? Brand? Operating system you're using?

What version is your radeon driver?

Did you use the windows control panel to change your settings or the software that came with ATI?

A fine day!

redface

Distinguished
Feb 17, 2003
So you get lower refresh rate for the higher res that's intorlerable to you?

At 1024x768, why don't you use the monitors own adjusting buttons to adjust the size back to the one you desired?
I think 9700 allows you to have a higher resolution with decent refresh rate (provided that your monitor supports it).

Oh, and some operating systems let you do "scrolling". At least I know Linux have such function.....

A fine day!

Actually this IS quite common, heck it happens with montiors here at work, Intel Integrated & IBM 21" & 17", when changing your settings you will find a slight shift in many monitor/card combinations. Perhaps usually the shift is not small enough for you to notice, however it usually happens with CRTs.
Adjust your picture using the knobs/buttons on your monitor, and even a 15" should have no problem doing it. If your monitor is VERY old, the answer is simple, get a new monitor and run that hunk a' junk as a dual monitor crt.
Definitely sounds like a CRT issue, not a card issue.

- You need a licence to buy a gun, but they'll sell anyone a stamp <i>(or internet account)</i> ! <font color=red>RED</font color=red> <font color=green>GREEN</font color=green> :tongue: GA to SK

Loop2k

Distinguished
Mar 31, 2003
Tanks for your help. Ill try to do the stuff you said. And i have a Eizo 17" monitor. And i use the options in windows and not the ones that are with the cd couse there the same. =)

Loop2k

Distinguished
Mar 31, 2003
Ok i tested the one you said about resizeing on the monitor... but it just changed the screen.. not the picture... =(

Mistwolf

Distinguished
Dec 2, 2002
I believe what he means is that the monitor resolution is at 800x600, but Windows is displaying the resolution at 1024x768 - meaning that, like a webpage, his display literally has scrollbars on it.

I believe I've seen this once, when using a laptop with a projector. I'm not exactly sure how to fix it, but maybe if I cleared up the problem for some people, they'll be able to give you a better answer.

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
The last guy to post was the first guy to understand what you were saying, the rest were arguing about nothing.

OK, the problem most likely is that your monitor hasn't been detected properly, it's loading generic monitor drivers for a lower resolution monitor. Try deleting your monitor from device manager and have windows redetect it. The video card driver is treating your monitor as if it only has 800x600 max resolution but set at 1024x768.

<font color=blue>Watts mean squat if you don't have quality!</font color=blue>

Loop2k

Distinguished
Mar 31, 2003
The other guy is right in a way... its like my monitor is at 800x600 and the picture just grows... but there are no bars... only at 800x600 and 1280x1024 the picture fits the monitor... so the question remains unsolwed.. in a way =) ill try with the redetecting and see what happens... *please god!*

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
Actually, the question is solved, you DO know what the cause is, now it's time to find a solution! I've had that problem before and I had to redetect my monitor.

Loop2k

Distinguished
Mar 31, 2003
OK... im not shore about what to do but i did as you said and XP installed the monitor again and no difference..... still the same prob... hmmm... i hate this!

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
Right click on your desktop, go to properties. In display properties, go to Settings, then click the Advanced button near the bottom, then Monitor and see what you can change there.

Nexus_7

Distinguished
Apr 1, 2003
Sounds to me like Windows has set the desktop to a certain resolution independent of the display resolution, so you are left with a discrepancy unless the two are equal. I remember doing this back in Win98, I think. I sort of remember something about being able to set the desktop size.

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
Oh yeh, the old split settings, when Windows has no idea what monitor you have, you can set the resolution to one size and the desktop to another. I remember than one too.

Loop2k

Distinguished
Mar 31, 2003
Ok.... but i have Win XP... and i havent seen any settings to do that thing... but that thing isnt so important anymore... the more anoying thing is that the same thing happens in games... do you know what to do about that??? =)

Loop2k

Distinguished
Mar 31, 2003
1280x1024 in games is a bit high =)
but it works in some games... but not all... i really want it fixed!!!!!

hey crashman is right your driver is either generic or the incorrect one(ie. older version) I have also had this problem(when you move the mouse it scrolls the whole windows to the right or left when you move it to the edge of the screen). I just deleted my driver and let windows xp find the monitor and it came up again the same way I had to find the correct driver on the internet and load it and it corrected the problem.

==Is a Processor supposed to Smoke Like THAT?===

tombance

Distinguished
Jun 16, 2002
Go to the Eizo website (in 1280x1024), download the latest driver for your monitor and then install this. Let your comp restart or whatever and then try setting it to 1024x768 and seeing what happens.

<A HREF="http://service.futuremark.com/compare?2k1=5467618 " target="_new">Almost Breaking 12k!!</A>