Sign in with
Your question

Repair of external sound card?

Last response: in Laptops & Notebooks
January 4, 2012 12:15:40 AM

I was trying to record something into my computer, and I think I may have fried something. Now I have no sound at all - not from my speakers or through the headphone jack.

I've tested my programs, and the computer says everything is working properly, but I get no sound. I checked and reloaded all my sound drivers, but still nothing. I bought a little USB sound plug in, and it worked for a couple of weeks, but now it has stopped too. The sound card is integrated, so I can't just replace it.Everything else works fine, but I can't listen to or record anything into the computer.

Any suggestions for repair, or a quality external device that might make the audio functional again?
January 4, 2012 12:24:18 AM

What, you gave it a power plug instead of an audio jack? That seems unlikely, but it isn't working regardless.
Here you are. The Asus Xonar DG: $37 and perfectly good. Let's hope it works.
January 4, 2012 4:10:27 AM

I'm not exactly sure what happened, I just know I don't have any sound, although the computer systems say everything is working fine. Thanks for the suggestion, but I need an external sound card; the current sound card is integrated, so I can't replace it without replacing the motherboard. I'll look around the Newegg site, thought, and maybe find something suitable.On another note, do you know much about video problems?

kajabla said:
What, you gave it a power plug instead of an audio jack? That seems unlikely, but it isn't working regardless.
Here you are. The Asus Xonar DG: $37 and perfectly good. Let's hope it works.

Related resources
a b D Laptop
January 4, 2012 5:34:13 AM

Are you certain the system is looking for the correct default sound device? I've known XP for example, to switch defaults if, say, Skype is using a headset and othe sound users want speakers.

a b D Laptop
January 4, 2012 5:58:51 AM

pjohnnyj said:
the current sound card is integrated, so I can't replace it without replacing the motherboard.

Erm? do you not have a PCI or pcie x1 slot? cause there's no reason you can't use an internal card just because you have sound on the board. its the same thing no matter how you connect it....
January 4, 2012 2:55:48 PM

I'm pretty sure it's been looking for the correct device. But thanks for your interest. This a Toshiba laptop with Vista, Satellite L305D-S5881. It does have an express slot, so I'm thinking if I can't find a USB device, maybe I can find slot sound card. They're just a little expensive. - pjj

Saga Lout said:

Are you certain the system is looking for the correct default sound device? I've known XP for example, to switch defaults if, say, Skype is using a headset and othe sound users want speakers.

a b D Laptop
January 4, 2012 5:08:01 PM

You won't find one in a laptop - unksol was assuming a desktop PC. Does the USB Port report what amount of power that external takes up when plugged in. Look in Device Manager>USB Ports to see if it's a shared port with something else which tips it over the 500mA mark.

January 4, 2012 6:09:35 PM

I was assuming you were a desktop too.

Oh, do we ever know about video problems :p 
That might be a job for another thread, though.
!