Gaming, is Windows 7 better then XP and Vista?

sepota

Distinguished
Jul 3, 2009
Hi,

I m running the following:

MB ASUS P5LD2 (no SLI)
Intel core 2 duo E6600 2.4ghz (OC at 3.0 ghz)
RAM = 2 x 2 gigs corsair xms
Power Supply = Corsair 750W - 60A
Running Vista 64 Home Edition
Using a 22'' Samsung screen
GPU = MSI RADEON 4890 O/C at core clock = 930 Mhz and memory clock at 1132 Mhz

Gaming right now and feeling that Vista 64 is slowing me down :(

Is it better to move to Windows 7 or XP64 or stay with Vista 64?

Thanks

Slowing down how? You're not going to see a huge increase in performance from switching operating systems... if you do see any improvement, it will likely be in the less than 10% range. A lot of people report that Windows 7 seems more responsive and uses less memory than Vista. You'll have to get the RC and evaluate it for yourself to see if it makes a difference for you.

Well...I have been examining win7 professional for about 1 day, one thing that I have realized...my hdd led doesn't blink as much as with vista during no activities...
My standard settings are :
1. no indexing service
2. no scheduled defragment
3. no scheduled virus scan
So...suppose to have not much hdd activity during idle...
For the performance...well I have tried it..booting time, and street fighter 4...no big difference with vista...but I still feel that win7 is somehow faster...but not that fast

Bullheaded67

Distinguished
Apr 8, 2009
The hard disk activity you are seeing in Vista is most likely pre-fetching. In Windows 7 it has been toned down a lot and is both improved and plays better with others. :)

There have been multiple reports you can Google showing that there is negligble difference in most gaming situations in terms of FPS. That said, Windows 7 feels much snappier and seems to multi-task a lot better than Vista. I don't see the circle of waiting at all in Windows 7.

Answer from Firing Squad.com: Gaming Performance Compared: Windows 7 vs Vista vs Windows XP (conclusion page)

While there were a couple of cases where WinXP outran Windows 7 and Vista, for the most part Windows 7 wins more than it loses, especially when you factor in multi-GPU technologies like SLI and CrossFire. In fact, if you’re a Windows XP gamer with SLI or CrossFire, I’d definitely urge you to upgrade to Windows 7 as soon as possible.

Windows XP’s origins date back to Windows 2000, an OS that was never designed for multi-GPU.

On the other hand NVIDIA and ATI worked closely with Microsoft to get Vista’s DX9.0L and DX10 APIs to scale more efficiently with SLI and CrossFire. Memory management tweaks found only in Windows 7 increases this even further, allowing SLI and CrossFire to scale even better under Windows 7 in comparison to Vista in many games.

Going into this article I didn’t expect the gains to be as great as they were, but the benchmarks don’t lie. Windows 7 is a huge improvement over XP in this regard.

The 3-Way battle between Windows XP, Vista, and Windows 7 is much closer when you exclude the second GPU benchmarks; other than ARMA II, the Radeon and GeForce GPUs performed remarkably similar regardless of OS (as long as you exclude the GeForce Windows XP x64 numbers). No one OS really pulls away from the other, they just trade wins and more often than not, they’re tied in performance. For this reason I’d have to give the overall nod to Windows Vista and Windows 7, as they generally run just as fast as XP, with the obvious addition of DirectX 10 and DX11 support.

So is Windows 7 the best OS for gaming? Based on the results we’ve just looked at, I’d have to say “yes”. Windows 7 delivers the best combination of features and game performance of any OS tested today. From what I’ve seen so far, it’s also just as stable as Windows XP and Vista and seems more responsive. The addition of gestures and the new taskbar really push Windows 7 over the top.

Yup!...it is the pre-fetching...

Yup! I feel the same way about the multitasking step back for win7...only opening many windows of firefox, you can already tell the difference..

Not only that..some minor bugs are there for example : system hang once in a while during shutdown process, etc. etc...I am waiting for good updates to fix those bugs..

For games...yup there is some fps boost comparing to in vista...

Win7 is way better that vista as vista first come into play several years ago...vista had more problems at that time...but after sp1 and sp2..those problems are almost completely gone (I still keep vista installed to my computer because of this)..but unfortunately...no change in matter of vistas performance...

I think...after 1 or 2 service packs...win7 will be a good OS, better than vista...

do you have 2 or 4GB of that transcend memory, if 2GB that could be the reason

slong

Distinguished
Jul 29, 2009
i was running xp on my laptop and i was getting about 50 avg fps on high res and settings, i decided to switch to win7 and im glad i did. It runs amazing and iv upgraded my fps to a avg of 70-75 fps. i might note my gpu is overclocked but it was overclocked on xp also. Win7 is my opinion has made a large improvement, i also get a faster connection speed/lower ping when gaming. im never going back to xp! and vista just fails

G

Mate honestly Ithink u should move on to windows 7 ultimate because widows seven is the fastest and the most stable os microsoft has ever made unless if u wanna go to that mac ***

slifermobile

Honorable
May 16, 2012
Mate honestly Ithink u should move on to windows 7 ultimate because widows seven is the fastest and the most stable os microsoft has ever made unless if u wanna go to that mac ***

Or a much cheaper option would be Ubuntu linux as it looks and feels the same as a mac osx but its FREE !!!!!