9500 Pro @ Newegg ... urgent!

pitsi

Distinguished
Jan 19, 2003
Help needed!

I was planning to buy a 9500 pro graphics card along with a few other components from Newegg. Although I am not aware of their differences, I was planning to buy the "original" ATI Radeon 9500 Pro Retail card (built by ATI), instead of buying the same card from another company. Anyway, this card was out of stock and Newegg reported that it would be available by 04/03/03. Suddenly today I noticed that it has been removed from their webpage. So my only choice is to buy another 9500 pro card since I don't want to change Newegg or wait until the card appears again (and I am not that patient :). What do you think I should buy? There is Sapphire (two models, $3 difference!), Transcend and FIC (which is supposed to be in stock tomorrow).

By the way, are there are ANY differences between all these and the original 9500 pro by ATI? I mean regarding performance, quality etc ...!

xclusivex

Distinguished
Jan 31, 2003
Unless you are absolutly sure of what you are doing i would suggest skipping the ATI all together. Sure they currently have the fastest card on the market but you are purchasing a 9500 pro (mid grade range) and for around the same price you can get a GeForce 4 TI4600. I bought a sapphire radeon 9700 non pro from newegg and it has been nothing but a nightmare. computer constantly shuts off with all brand new componets. entire computer is not more than 2 months old and its incompatable with my radeon.. weird. Ive done alot of searching and people say that you need to up your AGP voltage to 1.7 and download this and delete this and change this and blah blah blah, and if you ask me that is alot of work to be doing for a video card which can cause alot of stability problems. I urge you to reconsider, but dont just take my word for it do a search for "9700 crashes" on yahoo and look at all the message boards with people who have the same problem

sargeduck

Distinguished
Aug 27, 2002
radeon cards on by far the better performer. The 9500 pro is around the same price as a Ti 4200, and in some cases beats a Ti 4600. The 9500 owns the Ti series win you crank the AA and AF. The new 3.2 cataylist drivers have had excellent response from around the community for stability.

Alot of problems that people have when they try and install raedon drivers is that they don't fully get rid of the old nvidia drivers. there are bits of the nvidia drivers lying around in the registy, and a format would get rid of them, and probably solve a lot of problems.

I know that just about everybody here at THG would definitely recommend ATI right now.

sargeduck

Distinguished
Aug 27, 2002
in answer to your question, the "orginal" 9500 pro could have been ATI's first 9500 pro card out, that was based on the 9700 layout. I think this was the board you could mod into a 9700. The board you see now is the new re-desined board from ATI.

In terms of difference, there isn't much. They all pretty much have the same specs, some might be clocked higher/lower than others, depending on the manufacture. Other than that, really only the bundles that come with it and the look of the card. the sapphire one seems to be a popular choice.

xclusivex

Distinguished
Jan 31, 2003
How many people praising the ATI cards actually own one?? stop reading reviews and benchmarks and buy one. My previous card was a ATI radeon 7500. formatting would make no difference

tombance

Distinguished
Jun 16, 2002
Double Post

<A HREF="http://service.futuremark.com/compare?2k1=5467618 " target="_new">Almost Breaking 12k!!</A><P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by tombance on 03/31/03 09:55 PM.</EM></FONT></P>

tombance

Distinguished
Jun 16, 2002
Do you know what a PSU Is? If so, what wattage is it? Lemme guess 150watt? lol, what are your other system components also

<A HREF="http://service.futuremark.com/compare?2k1=5467618 " target="_new">Almost Breaking 12k!!</A>

xclusivex

Distinguished
Jan 31, 2003
Ill forgive your Ignorance because you are a ATI fanboy and obviously do not know better. my PSU is a 480 Antec true power and i use a Nforce 2 mb. with 512 samsung ram. other componets are irrelavant because they SHOULD make no differnece in the stability of a card

Da_Bears

Distinguished
Mar 25, 2003
Other components do make a difference because drawing to much power can be a cause. I bought a 9500 PRO from Newegg. We plugged almost everything including the card into one set of power connections and it would not completely boot. Seperated to another line and it boots fine. I have not yet got the chance to run any test on the card, but will be doing that tomorrow. I will post back with the results. The specs of my system are:
Icute case with LED lights in the front, side & top fan.
Coolmax 400 Watt Power Supply
Max-FISR MoBo
P4 2.53 Chip
1G DDR400 Memory
40G ATA100 Master drive
80G ATA133 slave drive.
DVD Burner
DVD Rom Drive
CDRW Burner
ATI 9500 PRO Carrd
4 Back and 2 Front USB
2 Back and 1 Front Firewire
5.1 Onboard Sound

mattburklund

Distinguished
Mar 19, 2002
the 9500pro is still the best value for the dollar, as if you read you will soon find out. I used to have a geforce card and now yes I own a 9500pro, it blows away the geforce in 3d, 2d and all around pic quality.

dhlucke

Polypheme
I bought a 9500 Pro for my brother. The thing is awesome.

<font color=red>GOD</font color=red> <font color=blue>BLESS</font color=blue> <font color=red>AMERICA</font color=red>

pitsi

Distinguished
Jan 19, 2003
Thanks everyone.

I think i'm going to order today the Sapphire Radeon 9500 Pro, since nobody can deny that it can beat even GeForce Ti 4600 in every test using AA/AF (and that's how I want to play games). Now regarding the problems you mentioned with the radeon 9500 pro, I must say that this is not a factor that will affect my decision at all. The reason is because one month ago, when I was trying to choose a mobo everyone was saying don't buy A7N8X Deluxe, it's full of problems. Because I like Asus I finally bought that board and guess what? NO problems! And I mean NOTHING!

Thanks for your time and I hope that everything works out for me smoothly :) Btw, I currently have a 32MB GeForce 2 GTS. Does anyone know what performance increase I should expect ?!!

pitsi

Distinguished
Jan 19, 2003
I've been using it for a month now with no problems. Great performance, great stability, great everything! I believe you should look and find your problem somewhere else, and not blame the motherboard. Did you ever think that these problems are maybe YOUR fault? I guess not! It's like saying "AMD CPUs are not stable"! I've been using AMD cpus for three years now, with the first one being a 700MHz SlotA (classic) Athlon. What a surprise! No problems there either!

papasmurf

Distinguished
Apr 14, 2002
...the early revisions of that motherboard have serious problems. I am an amd fan myself though I do not use asus motherboards, I had several bad experiances with them. I am an Epox lover. That motherboard may have been fixed in newer revisions but I know that the early revisions were plagued with terrible problems. Next time it would be wise to listen to all of the hundreds of people complaining. You got lucky this time, you might not be as lucky next time. When several hundred people have the same problems you should be wary.

Pull the lips over the gums look out testicles here I come! -What is that from?