In Defense of Anarchs

I love mechanics.

Not the big greasy guys who fix cars, but the ones introduced with each
new set. A set is remembered for and defined by its new mechanics.
And if V:TES is going to see little in the way of new Govern-level, or
even Undead Strength-level library cards (to avoid power creep) and
little in the way of new effects for old disciplines (to avoid
diversification beyond identity), then mechanics are destined to become
much of what is the future of V:TES.

I would simply like to take a moment to reflect on some mechanics we've
seen in past sets, and then (as the title of this thread suggests),
explain why I think anarchs are going to grow to become far more
powerful.

Yes, I said it. Anarchs will RULE YOU ALL. Read on:

The Bloodline Mechanic
----------------------
Not traditionally thought of as a "mechanic", the Bloodline differs
from a normal clan in that it has only 5 or so vampires to build a
crypt from. This is not a "mechanic" in the technical sense--not that
I know what the "technical sense" is--but it functions like one, in
that the players get something new, and the designer can do new things
with/because of it.

Needless to say, this mechanic has met with some popularity.

How will it shape the game in future years? Well, I generally see one
Bloodlines deck at each table, even years after the set came out. I
think that says a lot. I think new bloodlines would be good, and that
no amount of them will ever overshadow Lasombra, Malkavian, Ventrue,
etc.

The Trifle Mechanic
-------------------
A different kind of master card, which is easier to play. Another
excellent example of a mechanic which adds a little to the game, but
not a lot--and without detracting from anything.

I don't think that, as the game goes on, the Trifle mechanic will
become "huge". We will see some, probably in a good share of decks.
But I doubt trifles will ever have a gigantic presence.

The Black Hand Mechanic
-----------------------
Really hard to gain, but really easy to start with, the Black Hand
trait is an interesting mechanic in that it seems to be printed on
completely random vampires, and that if you want to use it, you should
probably start with it. It functions like an extra discipline; it has
its own set of cards which require it.

I wouldn't call this groundbreaking any more than I would call Flight
groundbreaking. I don't have any Black Hand decks, so maybe I'm just
biased, but I think its effect on the game will be no more than the
effect of a new discipline. Which in the long run, can't be all that
much unless you allow for power creep.

The Event Mechanic
------------------
I don't think Gehenna events were perhaps the best example of what
Events are capable of. They were cool, they were OK. I use some.
Gehenna events were a good idea. But I think Events as a new card type
was a SUPERB idea. It's a subtle cardtype. NSA Trio, anyone? I think
as time goes on, more decks will add events and they will spice up the
game. Again, I believe this is much of what new mechanics are
for--providing that kind of variety.

The Red List Mechanic
---------------------
Simultaneously my favorite and least favorite of the mechanics, Red
List is a drawback which allows for more combat in games. The
potential for printing new Red List-oriented library cards is rather
limited--I suppose new trophies would be acceptable, or new Red
List-only cards. The real addition, the major gain for the game
itself, is that of Red List as a "flaw" during "character creation" to
add a new dimension to vampire design. I like that this trait is
simple and subtle, and that it encourages interaction between players.

That's the kind of Red List mechanic I really like. On the other hand,
I consider the cards which add "Red List" to a vampire to be the rather
inevitable outcome of adding a new trait, and I don't really like them
all that well.

Trophies are only really useful in a deck which expects that Red List
minions will appear and then get burned, so it is unlikely that a deck
which doesn't use this last category of cards will use Trophies,
either. I suppose that means they have their uses, but all the
decklists I've seen so far which have used trophies use them in
moderation.

The Anarch Mechanic
-------------------
First, you have to go anarch. There's a master card that'll do it,
there are two different virtually no-cost ways to go anarch, and
there's a rule for doing it, failing that. So once you go Anarch, what
do you get for your investment?

Anarchs have their own master cards and their own titles, etc., but
most notably they have the three-way cards which require you be an
anarch and have one of the three listed disciplines. Some, like Smash
and Grab, have three fairly different uses. Others more or less do the
same thing in three different ways. But no matter how you use Anarchs,
you have available to you--for the first time in V:TES history--the
ability to include discipline-based effects which all your vampires can
use without your vampires having those disciplines in common.

This is all good in theory, but what do you actually get for your
investment? To date: Maybe 3 good masters. Maybe 3 good minion cards.
Not much. There aren't that many really good Anarch cards yet. Also,
Anarchs don't have any "meat"--+2 bleed, +2 damage, +2 intercept, +2
stealth, S:CE, etc. If you're an anarch deck who wants to use JUST
anarch cards, you probably won't be that good at combat, you certainly
won't be an intercept or stealth deck, and your bleed is limited to +1.

So then how do I maintain that Anarchs will rule the world? Simple:
Because unlike existing disciplines, which must each be confined to
doing some subset of things, Anarch-only cards may do anything which
the inlaid discipline can do. Because unlike existing disciplines,
which have had much of their history written already, Anarchs do not
have many decent cards behind them yet. Or many cards for any given
discipline at all. Because if I'm right, and LSJ said that no mechanic
would be left behind in future sets, then Anarchs will continue to get
new cards. And Anarch-only cards unite many vampires across
disciplines. I think that this sort of flexibility and odd new sort of
cohesiveness is bound to increase simply by having more things
interconnecting the anarchs.

So basically, I suppose I'm saying that each discipline will have no
more new cards, virtually, after awhile. Including the "discipline"
Black Hand. But not including the discipline "Anarchs"--they just have
way more room to grow before becoming anything like broken, because of
the combination "discipline+anarch" in order to play it.

That's all.

-- Brian

Perhaps I should note that dual-discipline cards have this same sort of
potential? No new rant, though.

firstconform...@aol.com wrote:
> I love mechanics.

me too. I like themes, I like card interactions. I like power balances,
cycles of card themes/mechanics. Some of the thingsyou've listed are
variations of other ccg... 'things', some not 'mechanics' in and of
themselves... but anyhow.

> I would simply like to take a moment to reflect on some mechanics
we've
> seen in past sets, and then (as the title of this thread suggests),
> explain why I think anarchs are going to grow to become far more
> powerful.

OK...

> The Bloodline Mechanic
> ----------------------

Or the 'other clan' mechanic. Really its just a way to create a 'cycle'
of vampires that share different disciplines than the 'major' clans.
Vampires that have disciplines outside of the clan box has been around
since the first set...

> The Trifle Mechanic
> -------------------

Well, sure. This isn't going to 'rule' anything... Well, unless they
design a special Master Out of Turn trifle that screws over bounce or
something...

> The Black Hand Mechanic
> -----------------------

This mechanic is hardly a mechanic... its just a blank requirement that
you can key some cards off of... like flight, or primogin, or inner
circle... except it doesn't do anything, and can be found on one
particular sect, much like certain titles...

Its just as (in)significant as seraph. Black hands strengths will be
limited by what cards are given to them, and by what disciplines
membors share.

> Really hard to gain, but really easy to start with, the Black Hand
> trait is an interesting mechanic in that it seems to be printed on
> completely random vampires, and that if you want to use it, you
should
> probably start with it.

same thing with any requirement... but if a certain requirement is good
enough, and you want it on certain vampires, you'll bother slotting in
cards for it.

> It functions like an extra discipline; it has
> its own set of cards which require it.
>
> I wouldn't call this groundbreaking any more than I would call Flight
> groundbreaking.

right. Its just a requirement. Just like any other trait/keyword...

> I don't have any Black Hand decks, so maybe I'm just
> biased, but I think its effect on the game will be no more than the
> effect of a new discipline.

it could be more, it depends on what LSJ wants to do with it.

> The Event Mechanic
> ------------------
> I don't think Gehenna events were perhaps the best example of what
> Events are capable of. They were cool, they were OK. I use some.
> Gehenna events were a good idea. But I think Events as a new card
type
> was a SUPERB idea. It's a subtle cardtype. NSA Trio, anyone? I
think
> as time goes on, more decks will add events and they will spice up
the
> game. Again, I believe this is much of what new mechanics are
> for--providing that kind of variety.

its just a new card type, almost duplicable by axing it and having
trifle-esque master cards playable during your discard phase... we
might as well have cards only playable during the untap phase, which
you'll use an untap phase action to play, or influence phase cards,
which you'll use transfers to play, and so on...

> The Red List Mechanic
> ---------------------

Its a trait that means something outside of other cards referring to
it. Other than that, its limited by the strength of the cards
surrounding it.

However, its effect is a negative one (in most instances currently*) as
a disadvantage for vampires... as far as card effects that will key off
of them, it will depend on the over all strength of the cards that are
good against this trait, and will be good for the trait. More of the
latter will see this trait in play more, but like all traits, its a
random draw whether you'd see any of the former (though this trait has
offensive trait giving capacity).

I would call this trait a legitimately new mechanic, as it actually has
an ability keyed off of it.

* Note: should this disadvantage actually benefit a deck more than it
hurts it, the mechanic is no longer negative naturally.

> The Anarch Mechanic
> -------------------

Once again, its just a keyword/trait. One that doesn't easily occur on
vampires. but that's it.

> First, you have to go anarch. There's a master card that'll do it,
> there are two different virtually no-cost ways to go anarch, and
> there's a rule for doing it, failing that. So once you go Anarch,
what
> do you get for your investment?

sure, there are cards that allow you to become an anarch. Just as there
are cards that allow you to become X clan, get X discipline, get
certain titles, change sect, become THINGY.

> Anarchs have their own master cards and their own titles, etc., but
> most notably they have the three-way cards which require you be an
> anarch and have one of the three listed disciplines. Some, like
Smash
> and Grab, have three fairly different uses. Others more or less do
the
> same thing in three different ways. But no matter how you use
Anarchs,
> you have available to you--for the first time in V:TES history--

not true. Bloodlines. Do you recall OUTFERIORs?

> the
> ability to include discipline-based effects which all your vampires
can
> use without your vampires having those disciplines in common.

> So then how do I maintain that Anarchs will rule the world? Simple:
> Because unlike existing disciplines, which must each be confined to
> doing some subset of things,

not true. Siren is intercept for protean. Requirements will continue to
includeother effects.

> Anarch-only cards may do anything which
> the inlaid discipline can do. Because unlike existing disciplines,
> which have had much of their history written already,

projectile is a new chapter in celerity. As is selective silence.

> Anarchs do not
> have many decent cards behind them yet. Or many cards for any given
> discipline at all. Because if I'm right, and LSJ said that no
mechanic
> would be left behind in future sets, then Anarchs will continue to
get
> new cards. And Anarch-only cards unite many vampires across
> disciplines.

this is an ok remark, but, you know, there's no reason why three ways
or even two ways couldn't exist for non anarchs.

There's no reason why Xways can't exist for black hand, or redlist, or
any OTHER trait/keyword. Its just thematic a a current design choice
that only anarch have access to 3ways (Bloodlines disciplines have
access to 2ways, technically, usually referred to outferiors).

> cohesiveness is bound to increase simply by having more things
> interconnecting the anarchs.
>
> So basically, I suppose I'm saying that each discipline will have no
> more new cards, virtually, after awhile. Including the "discipline"
> Black Hand. But not including the discipline "Anarchs"--they just
have
> way more room to grow before becoming anything like broken, because
of
> the combination "discipline+anarch" in order to play it.

And every other 'keyword' can create its own unique niches. Even
titles. Imagine threeways based off of primogin titles. Imagine
discipline requiring cards, that are also playable by any vampire with
X trait. Etc... etc...

> That's all.
>
> -- Brian
>
> Perhaps I should note that dual-discipline cards have this same sort
of
> potential?

There are just more currently introduced permutations, technically.
Though the possibilities are nigh infinite with variation of 'combine X
trait with Y trait. Combine ands ors buts and nots'

On 22 Apr 2005 17:36:41 -0700, <firstconformist@aol.com> wrote:

> I love mechanics.
>
> Not the big greasy guys who fix cars, but the ones introduced with each
> new set. A set is remembered for and defined by its new mechanics.
> And if V:TES is going to see little in the way of new Govern-level, or
> even Undead Strength-level library cards (to avoid power creep) and
> little in the way of new effects for old disciplines (to avoid
> diversification beyond identity), then mechanics are destined to become
> much of what is the future of V:TES.
>
> I would simply like to take a moment to reflect on some mechanics we've
> seen in past sets, and then (as the title of this thread suggests),
> explain why I think anarchs are going to grow to become far more
> powerful.
>
> Yes, I said it. Anarchs will RULE YOU ALL. Read on:

[snip]

Interesting read. Two points:

1. Introducing new trait-type mechanics should IMHO be handled with care.
Otherwise you might end up with so many traits that you need to explain
them on the cards (like in TOCCG), and the whole point of consistency
and brevity seems to be a bit defeated.

2. Thanks to prudent design, as with every new thing, the Anarchs started
below the power curve. They do get a new toy every now and then, though.
I do not, however, expect them to surpass the power curve (or get
significantly closer to it than the currently prevalent main strategies).
Once they have enough "power cards" to be generally competitive, new
cards will just flesh them out, adding much diversity (and little real
competitive strength).

> Perhaps I should note that dual-discipline cards have this same sort of
> potential? No new rant, though.

Dual-discipline cards and Anarch cards add new variety to old vampires,
and allow you to build new decks from old cards. They lend great
variety to the game.

--
Bye,

Daneel

Screaming Vermillian <vermillian69@yahoo.com> wrote:
> > The Event Mechanic
> > ------------------
>
> its just a new card type, almost duplicable by axing it and having
> trifle-esque master cards playable during your discard phase... we
> might as well have cards only playable during the untap phase, which
> you'll use an untap phase action to play, or influence phase cards,
> which you'll use transfers to play, and so on...

Maybe it is, technically speaking. But all the events we've seen so far
are different to most master cards in that they affect all players
in the same way. In fact, with the exception of Dr. Marisa Fletcher, CDC,
once an event is in play, it doesn't matter who played it (which is one
of the reasons why I think it would be more 'fitting' to leave events
in play after the controller is ousted).

I'll bet if the mechanic existed back then, cards like Strained Vitae
Supply would have been events. Too bad they missed the opportunity to
rectify Anarch Revolt. ;)

Rogar

Daneel wrote:
> 1. Introducing new trait-type mechanics should IMHO be handled with care.
> Otherwise you might end up with so many traits that you need to explain
> them on the cards (like in TOCCG), and the whole point of consistency
> and brevity seems to be a bit defeated.

For rules-based traits, sure.

Non-rules-based traits (like "animal", "ghoul", "gun", "haven", and "Black
Hand") don't run the danger of that.

http://www.white-wolf.com/vtes/

In message <opspsggpaao6j3lh@news.chello.hu>, Daneel <daniel@eposta.hu>
writes:
>1. Introducing new trait-type mechanics should IMHO be handled with care.
> Otherwise you might end up with so many traits that you need to explain
> them on the cards (like in TOCCG), and the whole point of consistency
> and brevity seems to be a bit defeated.

This assumes that all such traits have inherent rules supporting them.

Things like "Boon", "Werewolf", "Black Hand" and "Vehicle" are all
trait-type mechanics, but none require excessive card text. (Save for
when such things were retrofitted onto existing cards, which is a slight
problem, but rarely excessive.) Then you only need cards which
specifically target and/or require and/or grant and/or whatever that.

I think Black Hand showed how to do that in an extremely good, careful,
considered and useful way.

--
James Coupe "Why do so many talented people turn out to be sexual
PGP Key: 0x5D623D5D deviants? Why can't they just be normal like me and

<vtesrepSPAM@TRAPwhite-wolf.com>
> wrote:
>
> > Daneel wrote:
> >> 1. Introducing new trait-type mechanics should IMHO be handled
with
> >> care.
> >> Otherwise you might end up with so many traits that you need to
explain
> >> them on the cards (like in TOCCG), and the whole point of
consistency
> >> and brevity seems to be a bit defeated.
> >
> > For rules-based traits, sure.
> >
> > Non-rules-based traits (like "animal", "ghoul", "gun", "haven", and

> > "Black
> > Hand") don't run the danger of that.
>
> Yes, true. Simple traits like that are just fine and add more depth
to the
> game by allowing cards to refer to sets of cards.

Depth? Chess has depth. A game which has over 30 things to which to
refer to is clunky.

Having said this, it is important to have card traits so one can refer
to their kind in future sets.

I would argue that having a set based off of a particuar trait and just
having cards that refer to that trait, is a cop out as far as design
goes. I mean, its THE theme of card expansions... hmm... we need new
cards... I know! Lets print a new keyword and have cards refer to it
within this expansion! Woot! There's another 70 some cards. This sets
pratically done. :) (yes I'm over simplifying ccg expansion design...)

~SV

Screaming Vermillian wrote:
> Daneel wrote:
>>On Mon, 25 Apr 2005 21:24:22 GMT, LSJ
>>>Non-rules-based traits (like "animal", "ghoul", "gun", "haven", and
>>>"Black
>>>Hand") don't run the danger of that.
>>
>>Yes, true. Simple traits like that are just fine and add more depth to the
>> game by allowing cards to refer to sets of cards.
>
> Depth? Chess has depth. A game which has over 30 things to which to
> refer to is clunky.

?
Chess has over 30 things to consider.

There are 21 legal options with 21 possible responses to each of those,
for a total of 441 things to consider, when making your opening move if
you only want to think one move ahead.

The "but I don't have to consider them all" defense is easily
paralleled in VTES.

(smilie-terminated humor excised).

http://www.white-wolf.com/vtes/

21?
i'm lost
8 pawns moving 1 ahead
8 panws moving 2 ahead
4 knights have 2 exits
which is the 21th?
Andrea

as in

START
(W) e2-e4
(B) <dropping the king> good game, i resign

Wellllll ...yes......... i did not think of that.
Thanks
;-)

Andrea

andrea.la.malfa@infinito.it wrote:

> 21?
> i'm lost
> 8 pawns moving 1 ahead
> 8 panws moving 2 ahead
> 4 knights have 2 exits
> which is the 21th?

Resignation. :)

http://www.white-wolf.com/vtes/

Wes

Distinguished
Jan 21, 2002

"LSJ" <vtesrepSPAM@TRAPwhite-wolf.com> wrote

> Resignation. :)

Or you could offer a draw, I guess.

Cheers,
WES

LSJ wrote:
> Screaming Vermillian wrote:
> > Daneel wrote:
> >>On Mon, 25 Apr 2005 21:24:22 GMT, LSJ
> >>
> >>Yes, true. Simple traits like that are just fine and add more depth
to the
> >> game by allowing cards to refer to sets of cards.
> >
> > Depth? Chess has depth. A game which has over 30 things to which to
> > refer to is clunky.
>
> ?
> Chess has over 30 things to consider.

I'm not talking to things to consider. I'm talking about things to
which one could refer. I guess the analogy from chess to VTES doesn't
work so well...

the point I was trying make was 1.) chess has so few pieces but it
makes you think. 2.) VTES has a lot of pieces and makes you think.

but does having more pieces mean you have to think MORE or that the
type of thinking you're doing is more rewarding, or that the game play
is more rewarding? Not neccesarily...

typically I've found in ccgs I've played: The more mechanics and
keywords you throw into it, the clunkier the game gets... Simple IS
good.

~SV

In message <1114559705.318612.230490@o13g2000cwo.googlegroups.com>,
Screaming Vermillian <vermillian69@yahoo.com> writes:
>I would argue that having a set based off of a particuar trait and just
>having cards that refer to that trait, is a cop out as far as design
>goes. I mean, its THE theme of card expansions... hmm... we need new
>cards... I know! Lets print a new keyword and have cards refer to it
>within this expansion! Woot!

In a very real sense, you're right. However, this is essentially
inevitable.

In any reasonably complex game with a relatively small card pool (e.g.
the first set of any complex CCG), there will be many things you haven't
done. When printing more cards, you have a number of choices:

- reprint old cards. A good choice, for a number of reasons, but which
can only go so far.

- fill in the gaps of strategies that you simply haven't had space to
print before. In Jyhad terms, that might be (say) cards like the
EuroBrujah.

- print subtle variations of existing cards. The Advancement mechanism
is the most obvious version of this, but many other examples exist.
e.g. Redirection vs Deflection.

Then you have to print new things, once you've decided you're done with
the above for now.

These are going to be:

- cards which are driven by card text interactions of new mechanics

- cards which are driven by new rules.

Evolution of CCGs is essentially all about:

- providing new players with the tools they need
- providing old players with cool new stuff

--
James Coupe "Why do so many talented people turn out to be sexual
PGP Key: 0x5D623D5D deviants? Why can't they just be normal like me and
EBD690ECD7A1FB457CA2 look at internet pictures of men's cocks all day?"
13D7E668C3695D623D5D -- www.livejournal.com/users/scarletdemon/

On 27 Apr 2005 10:51:05 -0700, Screaming Vermillian
<vermillian69@yahoo.com> wrote:

> LSJ wrote:
>> Screaming Vermillian wrote:
> and

> to the
>> >
>> > Depth? Chess has depth. A game which has over 30 things to which to
>> > refer to is clunky.
>>
>> ?
>> Chess has over 30 things to consider.
>
> I'm not talking to things to consider. I'm talking about things to
> which one could refer. I guess the analogy from chess to VTES doesn't
> work so well...

I agree, it was a bit too apples to oranges.

> the point I was trying make was 1.) chess has so few pieces but it
> makes you think. 2.) VTES has a lot of pieces and makes you think.

Yes. One is a traditional board game, the other is a collectible card game.

No need to go into board games, by the way.

Consider the normal 52-card pack. Only 52 cards, yet the combinations are
almost limitless even within a single game. It isn't as colorful as VTES,
and it has no cool vampire theme, but the games you can play can be about
as fun.

The difference is that VTES is a collectible card game. It is expandable
(and was/is designed to be expanded).

> but does having more pieces mean you have to think MORE or that the
> type of thinking you're doing is more rewarding, or that the game play
> is more rewarding? Not neccesarily...
>
> typically I've found in ccgs I've played: The more mechanics and
> keywords you throw into it, the clunkier the game gets... Simple IS
> good.

Indeed. But part of the charm of CCGs is that when a new expansion comes
out, (almost) every deck can include at least one card from it. Or even
if not, the numerous new options are bound to appear in other decks,
contributing to a dynamic balance (as opposed to the static balance of
the 52-pack).

--
Bye,

Daneel