radeon 9500pro dual display?

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
It has two monitor outputs and comes with the DVI to VGA adapter <A HREF="http://images2.newegg.com/productimage/14-102-273-02.JPG" target="_new">Seen Here</A> so you can use it with two standard monitors (aka CRT's).

<font color=blue>Watts mean squat if you don't have quality!</font color=blue>

jihiggs

Splendid
Oct 11, 2001
so it will give two desktops? and i can run different resolutions and refresh rates on each monitor? will xp simply see it as two different cards? as far as the settings page is concerned anyway.

my computer is so fast, it completes an endless loop in less than 4 seconds!

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
XP will see it as two different cards, a Primary and a Secondary. The secondary appears as a PCI device. There have been over a dozen post in here by people asking "What's wrong with my card, why does it appear twice, why is one showing up as a PCI device?", and people are dumb enough to try and tell them how to "fix" it when that's the way it should be for independant displays.

I wouldn't say that's the way it 'should' be, so much as that's the way it is.
Id prefer if it only called PCI devices PCI devices, and instead named it what it is, 2ndary/slave agp monitor output/controlller. Since some of us have PCI cards to run additional monitors.
Anywhoo, you're right there's no way to fix it, that's just the way it is.

- You need a licence to buy a gun, but they'll sell anyone a stamp <i>(or internet account)</i> ! <font color=red>RED</font color=red> <font color=green>GREEN</font color=green> :tongue: GA to SK

jihiggs

Splendid
Oct 11, 2001
ok, but will it allow different refresh rates? im 99% sure it will, but i really need to know. the monitor im planning to use is a 21 inch beast that is only designed to run at one res and 72hz.

my computer is so fast, it completes an endless loop in less than 4 seconds!

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
I believe since the two outputs are addressed by the OS as different cards, you'll be able to use different refresh rates. Remember that the card also has Dual DAC's for the output, and I think the DAC controlls the refresh rate.

This is the problem with many Radeon 8500LE's, as some came with a second DAC and could be used with the DVI to VGA adapter, and most did not. Meanwhile the full version card always did. And later cards like the 9500/Pro still do include the second DAC. In fact, if a card comes with a DVI to VGA adapter, it has a second DAC and should be able to run separate refresh rates.