Radeon 9500 Pro and P4G8X

durden

Distinguished
Mar 16, 2003
I have been having a horrible time getting these 2 to cooperate properly. My problem is this, after every reboot, my machine will not POST. Whether I save and exit from Bios, or reboot from Windows, same result, the system will hang, and the ASUS voice prompt will come on and say "System failed due to CPU overclocking"

I am not overclocking the CPU though.. Here is what I have tried. I replaed the memory, I thought that it might be causing the problem. Switched from Corsair 2x512 DDR266 to Kingston 2x512 DDR266. No success there.

Then I figured it might be the video card, so I exchanged my Radeon 9500 Pro and got another Radeon 9500 Pro, same problem, no luck.

Next I decided to put in a 430watt (Antec TruePower) power supply (instead of my 330watt Antec TruePower PSU). Mind you, I had already checked the 3.3 5 volt etc rails, and everything was running smoothly. That didn't fix it either.

Then I decided to put an older video card in the machine and test it with that (a Geforce 128 card); and what do you know, the machine works flawlessly. So I have come to the conclusion that the P4G8X does not (or at least MINE doesnt) work properly with the Radeon 9500 Pro. Why else would another video card cause me no problems at all, and *2* radeons give me the exact same problem. It has to be some kind of compatibility issue, but I am completely clueless. I have tried working with ASUS numerous times, but they are basically like "Don't use an ATI card". What kind of an answer is that? :(

I would really really like to be able to get this working properly, but I am thinking that I am just going to have to bite the bullet and go with a lesser card..

- durden -

redface

Distinguished
Feb 17, 2003
one small question. did you reformat your hdd and reinstall everything from raw?

check that all fans in your case are spinning

A fine day!

durden

Distinguished
Mar 16, 2003
Of course, I have reformatted multiple times, but I can almost guarantee that it has nothing to do with the OS. As I mentioned it will hang before POST, whether I reset from BIOS or from Windows. When I do a shutdown / restart from windows, it completely exits windows, powers down, powers back up and will not POST.

- durden -