Some LSJ Questions

1. If a minion untakes an equip action to gain equipment currently held
by another minion:
a. Will clan equipment restrictions prevent it from undertaking the
action if he is not clan appropriate (i.e. can Smudge the Ignored equip
the Sword of Triole from Black Cat?)

b. Can the action be stopped by a Direct Intervention? If so, what
happens to the equipment.

2. If a minion temporarily changes controllers and is then burned, into
which ash heap does the minion go?

Here's another question. If a vamp equipped with Vial of Elder Vitae
and then uses a Vast Wealth action, can the Vial be burned to equip a
piece of equipment that requires a discipline he does not have? (i.e
can you burn the vial once you find out you are equipping a Baleful
Doll to gain necromancy?)

Preston wrote:
> 1. If a minion untakes an equip action to gain equipment currently held
> by another minion:
> a. Will clan equipment restrictions prevent it from undertaking the
> action if he is not clan appropriate (i.e. can Smudge the Ignored equip
> the Sword of Triole from Black Cat?)

No. Requirements to play cards are only checked when the card is played.

> b. Can the action be stopped by a Direct Intervention? If so, what
> happens to the equipment.

No. The card is not being played, so the "as played" part is not met.

> 2. If a minion temporarily changes controllers and is then burned, into
> which ash heap does the minion go?

The owner's.

http://www.white-wolf.com/vtes/

Preston wrote:
> Here's another question. If a vamp equipped with Vial of Elder Vitae
> and then uses a Vast Wealth action, can the Vial be burned to equip a
> piece of equipment that requires a discipline he does not have? (i.e
> can you burn the vial once you find out you are equipping a Baleful
> Doll to gain necromancy?)

No.
Similarly, you could not burn Blood Tears if you found a Blood Tears
(to avoid contesting), nor burn Blood Tears to gain blood to pay
blood cost of the equipment.

http://www.white-wolf.com/vtes/

LSJ wrote:
> Preston wrote:
> > Here's another question. If a vamp equipped with Vial of Elder
Vitae
> > and then uses a Vast Wealth action, can the Vial be burned to equip
> > piece of equipment that requires a discipline he does not have?
(i.e
> > can you burn the vial once you find out you are equipping a Baleful
> > Doll to gain necromancy?)
>
> No.
> Similarly, you could not burn Blood Tears if you found a Blood Tears
> (to avoid contesting), nor burn Blood Tears to gain blood to pay
> blood cost of the equipment.

Why not?

-scrote

LSJ wrote:
> scrote wrote:
> >>Similarly, you could not burn Blood Tears if you found a Blood
Tears
> >>(to avoid contesting), nor burn Blood Tears to gain blood to pay
> >>blood cost of the equipment.
> >>
> > Why not?
>
> First part: It would be contested. Second part: And therefore
similarly.

I had been looking at this ruling:

Heidelberg Castle, Germany: Heidelberg Castle may not be tapped "in
response" to any instant effect (because all effects in V:TES are
instantaneous except for actions and certain combat effects). [LSJ]

I thought that seeing as HC required specific card-text to prevent it
"interrupting" an action,

"Heidelburg Castle may not be used during an action (including during
combat). [RTR 19980707] "

,that buring a vial of elder vitae during a Vast Wealth action would be
perfectly acceptable.

Compare to burning a blood tears in combat to prevent damage or gain
blood. Isn't combat still part of the action? What's is the timing
difference between combat and the point of a Vast Wealth action at
which I locate my equipment?

Is it acceptable, on one blood and equipped with Blood Tears, to
attempt:

Govern the Unaligned
Pay for an Elder Impersonation in response to block attempt
Blockers Decline/Fail
Burn Blood Tears
Resolve GtU

Is yes, then how does this burning a Vial of Elder Vitae during a Vast
Wealth Action?

Is it because of the wording on Vast Wealth itself?

Vast Wealth
Master
Put this card on a ready minion you control. While you control this
minion, this minion can equip with the first piece of equipment you
find in your library (working down from the top) as a +1 stealth
action. (Pay cost to equip.) Shuffle afterward.

I can't see anything that would prohibit here. There must be something
that I am missing.

Pointers please?

Thanks for your time,
-Scrote

scrote wrote:
> I had been looking at this ruling:
>
> Heidelberg Castle, Germany: Heidelberg Castle may not be tapped "in
> response" to any instant effect (because all effects in V:TES are
> instantaneous except for actions and certain combat effects). [LSJ]
>
> I thought that seeing as HC required specific card-text to prevent it
> "interrupting" an action,
>
> "Heidelburg Castle may not be used during an action (including during
> combat). [RTR 19980707] "
>
> ,that buring a vial of elder vitae during a Vast Wealth action would be
> perfectly acceptable.

No, you're conflating two issues.

#1: All effects are instantaneous. With the exception of the various
"cancel as played" effects (Direct Intervention, Sudden Reversal,
Watenda's ability, etc), the moment a card is played, it takes effect.
There's no "interrupt" mechanism like in Magic.

Heidelburg Castle has specific text saying it can't be used during an
action, which is _another_ restriction. To take a counter example, if
someone is attempting to Far Mastery an untapped War Ghoul, it is legal
to tap the War Ghoul _during the action_ to burn it and a location (War
Ghoul text). Heidelburg Castle cannot be tapped during an action (due
to its text), and it also can't be tapped "during" the playing of a card
-- eg, you cannot tap Heidelburg Castle when someone plays Golconda on
one of your vampires to transfer blood/equipment/etc and then let
Golconda take effect. Once the Golconda has been played, it needs to be
resolved before the next effect.

> Compare to burning a blood tears in combat to prevent damage or gain
> blood. Isn't combat still part of the action? What's is the timing
> difference between combat and the point of a Vast Wealth action at
> which I locate my equipment?

Moot. Difference between "action" and "effect". Actions contain many
effects; effects cannot be interrupted (except by cancel as played cards.)

> Is it acceptable, on one blood and equipped with Blood Tears, to
> attempt:
>
> Govern the Unaligned
> Pay for an Elder Impersonation in response to block attempt
> Blockers Decline/Fail
> Burn Blood Tears
> Resolve GtU

Yes.

> Is yes, then how does this burning a Vial of Elder Vitae during a Vast
> Wealth Action?

You can burn a Vial of Elder Vitae during the Vast Wealth action.

You cannot wait to see what Vast Wealth produces, and then burn the Vial
of Elder Vitae to have the appropriate Discipline. Once the VW is
successful and you have found the first equipment, that effect is done;
it can't be interrupted by burning the Vial.

So, if, eg, you know that all of the equipment in your deck is Vials and
Baleful Dolls, you can Vast Wealth, and, before resolution, burn a Vial
to gain Necromancy. If the Vast Wealth then turns up a Baleful Doll,
you're good; if it turns up another Vial, well, you wasted your Vial.

--Colin McGuigan