Ron Alert

So much for the spiked chain as a great weapon:

http://www.giantitp.com/cgi-bin/GiantITP/ootscript?SK=216
203 answers Last reply
More about alert

    Dormammu wrote:

    > So much for the spiked chain as a great weapon:
    >
    > http://www.giantitp.com/cgi-bin/GiantITP/ootscript?SK=216

    Already e-mailed this to friends, as my character ALSO happens to have a
    habit of falling into pits, antigravity zones, etc. etc. etc.

    - Ron ^*^

    Werebat wrote:
    > Dormammu wrote:
    >
    > > So much for the spiked chain as a great weapon:
    > >
    > > http://www.giantitp.com/cgi-bin/GiantITP/ootscript?SK=216
    >
    > Already e-mailed this to friends, as my character ALSO happens to have a
    > habit of falling into pits, antigravity zones, etc. etc. etc.

    Of course, this strip shows that Rich ALSO got a C- in his Attacks of
    Opportunity class.

    Movement through an enemy's threatened squares provokes _one_ Attack of
    Opporunity, regardless of how many threatened squares you actually move
    through.

    Laszlo

    In article <1125737437.888265.297990@g44g2000cwa.googlegroups.com>,
    chaoslight@gmail.com says...

    > > > So much for the spiked chain as a great weapon:
    > > >
    > > > http://www.giantitp.com/cgi-bin/GiantITP/ootscript?SK=216
    > >
    > > Already e-mailed this to friends, as my character ALSO happens to have a
    > > habit of falling into pits, antigravity zones, etc. etc. etc.
    >
    > Of course, this strip shows that Rich ALSO got a C- in his Attacks of
    > Opportunity class.
    >
    > Movement through an enemy's threatened squares provokes _one_ Attack of
    > Opporunity, regardless of how many threatened squares you actually move
    > through.

    You're right, of course. But Rich has already been underestimated here
    in the last couple of days... Are you sure that this isn't precisely the
    point of Roy's comment about getting a C-? That Roy's getting a C- is
    the reason why the double AoO trick worked for the ogre?

    --
    Jasin Zujovic
    jzujovic@inet.hr

    Jasin Zujovic wrote:
    > In article <1125737437.888265.297990@g44g2000cwa.googlegroups.com>,
    > chaoslight@gmail.com says...

    >>> Already e-mailed this to friends, as my character ALSO happens to
    >>> have a habit of falling into pits, antigravity zones, etc. etc. etc.
    >>
    >> Of course, this strip shows that Rich ALSO got a C- in his Attacks of
    >> Opportunity class.
    >>
    >> Movement through an enemy's threatened squares provokes _one_ Attack
    >> of Opporunity, regardless of how many threatened squares you
    >> actually move through.
    >
    > You're right, of course. But Rich has already been underestimated here
    > in the last couple of days... Are you sure that this isn't precisely
    > the point of Roy's comment about getting a C-? That Roy's getting a
    > C- is the reason why the double AoO trick worked for the ogre?

    Having read the OotS forum (and been the bastard who pointed out the error
    first), I am.

    http://www.giantitp.com/cgi-bin/yabb/YaBB.pl?board=comics;action=display;num=1125547451;start=60#60

    --
    Mark.

    Dormammu <Dormammu@thedarkdimension.com> wrote in news:F08Se.65865
    $Ji4.51789@fed1read03:

    > So much for the spiked chain as a great weapon:
    >
    > http://www.giantitp.com/cgi-bin/GiantITP/ootscript?SK=216

    Haven't we had enough of these awful "D&D" ironic gamer cartoons with bad
    art, horrible storytelling, annoying lame stereotypes? Dungeon Magazine has
    enough of them presently to make one's eyes fall out of their head! Of
    course there is that whole foolish Hackmaster RPG; a whole damn expensive
    product line based on a bad joke in KODT. There *are* good comics out
    there.

    Joseph wrote:

    > Dormammu <Dormammu@thedarkdimension.com> wrote in news:F08Se.65865
    > $Ji4.51789@fed1read03:
    >

    >>So much for the spiked chain as a great weapon:
    >>
    >>http://www.giantitp.com/cgi-bin/GiantITP/ootscript?SK=216
    >

    > Haven't we had enough of these awful "D&D" ironic gamer cartoons with bad
    > art, horrible storytelling, annoying lame stereotypes? Dungeon Magazine has
    > enough of them presently to make one's eyes fall out of their head! Of
    > course there is that whole foolish Hackmaster RPG; a whole damn expensive
    > product line based on a bad joke in KODT. There *are* good comics out
    > there.

    Do not bring your trolling here.

    - Ron ^*^

    On Sun, 04 Sep 2005 09:34:19 GMT, Joseph <void@verizon.net> scribed into
    the ether:

    >Dormammu <Dormammu@thedarkdimension.com> wrote in news:F08Se.65865
    >$Ji4.51789@fed1read03:
    >
    >> So much for the spiked chain as a great weapon:
    >>
    >> http://www.giantitp.com/cgi-bin/GiantITP/ootscript?SK=216
    >
    >Haven't we had enough of these awful "D&D" ironic gamer cartoons with bad
    >art, horrible storytelling, annoying lame stereotypes?

    I know I have. Thank god the Stick is not one of them.

    > Dungeon Magazine has
    >enough of them presently to make one's eyes fall out of their head!

    Relevance?

    > Of
    >course there is that whole foolish Hackmaster RPG; a whole damn expensive
    >product line based on a bad joke in KODT.

    Ever read through the Hackmaster magic item set? I like the dozen
    variations on the girdle of gender bender myself. Or the chainmail bikini
    top of remote eye gouging. Then of course there is the graphic
    demonstration of why you want to avoid traps...great stuff.

    >There *are* good comics out there.

    And there's a link to one right on top of the post.

    Of course, you are implying that OotS is not one of these, so then it comes
    to brass tacks: Post proof of better, or retract.

    Joseph wrote:

    > Haven't we had enough of these awful "D&D" ironic
    > gamer cartoons with bad art, horrible storytelling,
    > annoying lame stereotypes?

    "Enough" implies a metric; which one do you propose?
    Based on readership and quotability, I'd say OotS has
    a niche.

    > Dungeon Magazine has enough of them presently
    > to make one's eyes fall out of their head!

    Apples/oranges.

    OotS has appeal via accessibility.

    I don't read Dungeon, so I can't talk about their
    comics. Dragon runs comics, the quality varies.
    I think some folks would complain if they dropped
    the comics, but I doubt if anyone buys Dragon for
    the comics.

    > Of course there is that whole foolish Hackmaster RPG;

    Foolish from what perspective? Economic? It doesn't
    sell? I've never played Hackmaster; from cursory
    perusal, it appears to be quite playable.

    > a whole damn expensive product line based on a bad
    > joke in KODT.

    Dude, you'd really LOVE Scientology.

    > There *are* good comics out there.

    FWIW, I consider OotS to be one of them, though I would
    acknowledge it has an obvious narrow appeal.

    MadKaugh

    In article <Xns96C738B0D2C86619void@199.45.49.11>,
    Joseph <void@verizon.net> wrote:
    >Dormammu <Dormammu@thedarkdimension.com> wrote in news:F08Se.65865
    >$Ji4.51789@fed1read03:
    >
    >> So much for the spiked chain as a great weapon:
    >>
    >> http://www.giantitp.com/cgi-bin/GiantITP/ootscript?SK=216
    >
    >Haven't we had enough of these awful "D&D" ironic gamer cartoons with bad
    >art, horrible storytelling, annoying lame stereotypes?

    In a word, no.

    Werebat <ronpoirier@cox.net> wrote in

    > Joseph wrote:
    >
    >> Dormammu <Dormammu@thedarkdimension.com> wrote in news:F08Se.65865
    >> $Ji4.51789@fed1read03:
    >>

    >>>So much for the spiked chain as a great weapon:
    >>>
    >>>http://www.giantitp.com/cgi-bin/GiantITP/ootscript?SK=216
    >>

    >> Haven't we had enough of these awful "D&D" ironic gamer cartoons with
    >> bad art, horrible storytelling, annoying lame stereotypes? Dungeon
    >> Magazine has enough of them presently to make one's eyes fall out of
    >> their head! Of course there is that whole foolish Hackmaster RPG; a
    >> whole damn expensive product line based on a bad joke in KODT. There
    >> *are* good comics out there.
    >
    > Do not bring your trolling here.

    Stop projecting Ron; it wasn't a troll. I know my opinion may not be
    popular, but I really dislike these gamer comic strips.

    Joseph wrote:
    > Werebat <ronpoirier@cox.net> wrote in
    >

    >>Joseph wrote:
    >>

    >>>Dormammu <Dormammu@thedarkdimension.com> wrote in news:F08Se.65865
    >>>$Ji4.51789@fed1read03:

    >>>Haven't we had enough of these awful "D&D" ironic gamer cartoons with
    >>>bad art, horrible storytelling, annoying lame stereotypes? Dungeon
    >>>Magazine has enough of them presently to make one's eyes fall out of
    >>>their head! Of course there is that whole foolish Hackmaster RPG; a
    >>>whole damn expensive product line based on a bad joke in KODT. There
    >>>*are* good comics out there.
    >>
    >>Do not bring your trolling here.
    >

    > Stop projecting Ron; it wasn't a troll. I know my opinion may not be
    > popular, but I really dislike these gamer comic strips.

    You've posted an unreasonably unpopular viewpoint, and you are now
    responding to every person who responsed to it.

    You are a troll.

    End. Of. Story.

    - Ron ^*^

    Matt Frisch <matuse73@yahoo.spam.me.not.com> wrote in

    >>There *are* good comics out there.
    >
    > And there's a link to one right on top of the post.
    >
    > Of course, you are implying that OotS is not one of these, so then it
    > comes to brass tacks: Post proof of better, or retract.

    I was referring to comics in general, not these lousy postmodern gamer
    comic strips. I have well over one hundred new comics to read right now,
    and I can say all these comics are far better than these gamer comics. And
    some of these comics are not very good at all, but they have greater value
    than things like Dork Tower or Order of the Stick. I don't know why gamers
    even like these comic series. I find them halfway between insulting to
    players and idiotically self-reverential to game content (which the comics
    warp to an inane degree).

    > Joseph wrote:
    >> Werebat <ronpoirier@cox.net> wrote in

    >>>Do not bring your trolling here.
    >>

    >> Stop projecting Ron; it wasn't a troll. I know my opinion may not be
    >> popular, but I really dislike these gamer comic strips.
    >
    > You've posted an unreasonably

    No it is not unreasonable, and I only commented because these links to
    the Order of the Stick kept popping up.

    > unpopular viewpoint, and you are now

    An appeal to groupthink!

    > responding to every person who responsed to it.

    Count better, Werebat; I haven't.

    > You are a troll.

    :Laughs:

    Joseph wrote:
    > Werebat <ronpoirier@cox.net> wrote in
    >

    >>Joseph wrote:
    >>
    >>>Werebat <ronpoirier@cox.net> wrote in

    >>>Stop projecting Ron; it wasn't a troll. I know my opinion may not be
    >>>popular, but I really dislike these gamer comic strips.
    >>
    >>You've posted an unreasonably
    >

    > No it is not unreasonable, and I only commented because these links to
    > the Order of the Stick kept popping up.

    Explain why it is not unreasonable. Again, offer superior strips,
    explain why, or recant. You were asked to do this before and failed to
    do so. This is the earmark of a troll.

    >>unpopular viewpoint, and you are now
    >

    > An appeal to groupthink!

    No, an earmark of trolling.

    >>responding to every person who responsed to it.
    >

    > Count better, Werebat; I haven't.

    There is not one response to your OP here that has been left unresponded
    to by you. "Counting" has nothing to do with it, unless you count
    counting to zero.

    >>You are a troll.
    >

    > :Laughs:

    A laughing troll, but a troll nontheless.

    - Ron ^*^

    Rupert Boleyn wrote:
    > On Sun, 04 Sep 2005 16:30:40 GMT, Joseph <void@verizon.net> carved
    > upon a tablet of ether:
    >

    >>No it is not unreasonable, and I only commented because these links to
    >>the Order of the Stick kept popping up.
    >

    > so, essentially your post is saying "Stop talking about these comics
    > because I don't like them". Never happen.

    Not only that, you'll probably get people to talk about them even more:

    http://www.giantitp.com/cgi-bin/GiantITP/ootscript

    Not me, though. I'm off on vacation and won't be back for a couple of
    weeks. Good luck with Joseph the Stupid; I'm counting on you.

    On Sun, 04 Sep 2005 14:57:03 GMT, Joseph <void@verizon.net> scribed into
    the ether:

    >Matt Frisch <matuse73@yahoo.spam.me.not.com> wrote in
    >

    >>>There *are* good comics out there.
    >>
    >> And there's a link to one right on top of the post.
    >>
    >> Of course, you are implying that OotS is not one of these, so then it
    >> comes to brass tacks: Post proof of better, or retract.
    >
    >I was referring to comics in general, not these lousy postmodern gamer
    >comic strips.

    So, that's a retraction then. Thanks.

    > I have well over one hundred new comics to read right now,
    >and I can say all these comics are far better than these gamer comics.

    How nice for you. Most webcomics I've looked at have been complete dreck. I
    mean, god-awful in the worst way. The same could be said for most strips in
    the newpapers as well.

    > And some of these comics are not very good at all, but they have greater value
    >than things like Dork Tower or Order of the Stick

    Greater value? This is not deep philosophical thought. By all means, show
    us a comic with "value"...this should be funny.

    > I don't know why gamers even like these comic series.

    Because they are funny.

    > I find them halfway between insulting to
    >players and idiotically self-reverential to game content (which the comics
    >warp to an inane degree).

    Then don't read them. I honestly cannot figure out this belief that morons
    across the world have where they are somehow required to view things which
    they don't enjoy.

    You are in control of your browser. Your TV and radio have off buttons.
    Grow up.

    Matt Frisch wrote:
    > On Sun, 04 Sep 2005 14:57:03 GMT, Joseph <void@verizon.net> scribed into
    > the ether:
    >

    >>Matt Frisch <matuse73@yahoo.spam.me.not.com> wrote in

    >>>And there's a link to one right on top of the post.
    >>>
    >>>Of course, you are implying that OotS is not one of these, so then it
    >>>comes to brass tacks: Post proof of better, or retract.
    >>
    >>I was referring to comics in general, not these lousy postmodern gamer
    >>comic strips.
    >

    > So, that's a retraction then. Thanks.
    >

    >>I have well over one hundred new comics to read right now,
    >>and I can say all these comics are far better than these gamer comics.
    >

    > How nice for you. Most webcomics I've looked at have been complete dreck. I
    > mean, god-awful in the worst way. The same could be said for most strips in
    > the newpapers as well.

    To tell the truth, I have to agree with you. I sorta like Alien Loves
    Predator once in a while, and Something Positive held my attention for
    some time along with Ghastly's Ghastly Comic. That's about it. And
    those aren't anything I'd write home about, other than the occasional
    individual strip.

    And to Joseph: 100 comics?

    Geez, man, what are you reading? Give us all examples of your superiour
    tastes, Joystarr.

    >>And some of these comics are not very good at all, but they have greater value
    >>than things like Dork Tower or Order of the Stick
    >

    > Greater value? This is not deep philosophical thought. By all means, show
    > us a comic with "value"...this should be funny.

    LOL!

    >>I don't know why gamers even like these comic series.
    >

    > Because they are funny.

    Funny and clever.

    >>I find them halfway between insulting to
    >>players and idiotically self-reverential to game content (which the comics
    >>warp to an inane degree).
    >

    > Then don't read them. I honestly cannot figure out this belief that morons
    > across the world have where they are somehow required to view things which
    > they don't enjoy.

    It's the problem many people have where if THEY don't like something,
    they have to make sure than no one else does either. Sad, really.

    > You are in control of your browser. Your TV and radio have off buttons.
    > Grow up.

    Indeed.

    - Ron ^*^

    <chaoslight@gmail.com> wrote in message

    > Werebat wrote:
    >> Dormammu wrote:
    >>
    >> > So much for the spiked chain as a great weapon:
    >> >
    >> > http://www.giantitp.com/cgi-bin/GiantITP/ootscript?SK=216
    >>
    >> Already e-mailed this to friends, as my character ALSO happens to have a
    >> habit of falling into pits, antigravity zones, etc. etc. etc.
    >
    > Of course, this strip shows that Rich ALSO got a C- in his Attacks of
    > Opportunity class.
    >
    > Movement through an enemy's threatened squares provokes _one_ Attack of
    > Opporunity, regardless of how many threatened squares you actually move
    > through.

    ....and a half-ogre has a *20'* reach with a spiked chain.

    --
    ^v^v^Malachias Invictus^v^v^

    It matters not how strait the gate,
    How charged with punishment the scroll,
    I am the Master of my fate:
    I am the Captain of my soul.

    Mere moments before death, Matt Frisch hastily scrawled:

    >> And some of these comics are not very good at all, but they have greater value
    >>than things like Dork Tower or Order of the Stick
    >
    >Greater value? This is not deep philosophical thought. By all means, show
    >us a comic with "value"...this should be funny.

    Just for the record:

    http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/0679748407/102-8788791-8438563?v=glance

    Ed Chauvin IV

    modifier G @ 11.

    --Terry Austin

    > On Sun, 04 Sep 2005 14:57:03 GMT, Joseph <void@verizon.net> scribed
    > into the ether:
    >
    >>Matt Frisch <matuse73@yahoo.spam.me.not.com> wrote in

    >>> And there's a link to one right on top of the post.
    >>>
    >>> Of course, you are implying that OotS is not one of these, so then
    >>> it comes to brass tacks: Post proof of better, or retract.
    >>
    >>I was referring to comics in general, not these lousy postmodern gamer
    >>comic strips.
    >
    > So, that's a retraction then. Thanks.

    Hardly, I find Order of the Stick to be terrible. I also note it is now a
    commercial property. I'm sure Rich likes the free advertising. I think he
    can take bad "reviews" of a damn comic strip!

    >> I have well over one hundred new comics to read right now,
    >>and I can say all these comics are far better than these gamer comics.
    >
    > How nice for you. Most webcomics I've looked at have been complete
    > dreck. I mean, god-awful in the worst way. The same could be said for
    > most strips in the newpapers as well.

    I agree with you here, but my stack is comic books. I just find these gamer
    strips to be worse than Garfield.

    >> And some of these comics are not very good at all, but they have
    >> greater value
    >>than things like Dork Tower or Order of the Stick
    >
    > Greater value? This is not deep philosophical thought. By all means,
    > show us a comic with "value"...this should be funny.

    Aesthetic value is my concern here.

    >> I don't know why gamers even like these comic series.
    >
    > Because they are funny.

    It is subjective, but I don't find them at all funny but tedious.

    >> I find them halfway between insulting to
    >>players and idiotically self-reverential to game content (which the
    >>comics warp to an inane degree).
    >
    > Then don't read them. I honestly cannot figure out this belief that
    > morons across the world have where they are somehow required to view
    > things which they don't enjoy.
    >
    > You are in control of your browser. Your TV and radio have off
    > buttons. Grow up.

    That is not my position; I am not bothered by the linking of Order of the
    Stick. Sorry, if my *artistic* criticism bothered you so much. Who is the
    one jumping to childish conclusions?

    Joseph wrote:

    > Matt Frisch <matuse73@yahoo.spam.me.not.com> wrote in
    >

    >>On Sun, 04 Sep 2005 14:57:03 GMT, Joseph <void@verizon.net> scribed
    >>into the ether:
    >>

    >>>Matt Frisch <matuse73@yahoo.spam.me.not.com> wrote in

    >>>I was referring to comics in general, not these lousy postmodern gamer
    >>>comic strips.
    >>
    >>So, that's a retraction then. Thanks.
    >

    > Hardly, I find Order of the Stick to be terrible. I also note it is now a
    > commercial property. I'm sure Rich likes the free advertising. I think he
    > can take bad "reviews" of a damn comic strip!
    >

    >>>I have well over one hundred new comics to read right now,
    >>>and I can say all these comics are far better than these gamer comics.
    >>
    >>How nice for you. Most webcomics I've looked at have been complete
    >>dreck. I mean, god-awful in the worst way. The same could be said for
    >>most strips in the newpapers as well.
    >

    > I agree with you here, but my stack is comic books. I just find these gamer
    > strips to be worse than Garfield.
    >

    >>>And some of these comics are not very good at all, but they have
    >>>greater value
    >>>than things like Dork Tower or Order of the Stick
    >>
    >>Greater value? This is not deep philosophical thought. By all means,
    >>show us a comic with "value"...this should be funny.
    >

    > Aesthetic value is my concern here.
    >

    >>>I don't know why gamers even like these comic series.
    >>
    >>Because they are funny.
    >

    > It is subjective, but I don't find them at all funny but tedious.
    >

    >>>I find them halfway between insulting to
    >>>players and idiotically self-reverential to game content (which the
    >>>comics warp to an inane degree).
    >>
    >>Then don't read them. I honestly cannot figure out this belief that
    >>morons across the world have where they are somehow required to view
    >>things which they don't enjoy.
    >>
    >>You are in control of your browser. Your TV and radio have off
    >>buttons. Grow up.
    >

    > That is not my position; I am not bothered by the linking of Order of the
    > Stick.

    You're begging me, here...

    - Ron ^*^

    Joseph wrote:
    > Matt Frisch <matuse73@yahoo.spam.me.not.com> wrote in

    >>So, that's a retraction then. Thanks.
    >

    > Hardly, I find Order of the Stick to be terrible.

    While I find it brilliant, and funny. Of course, I'm one of the real
    target audience -- a long time gamer who's progressed through all of
    the different incarnations of the game. OOtS won't be funny to
    outsiders at ALL. (If you think you're an insider, and you don't find
    it funny, I think you had all sense of humor surgically removed.)

    I also note it is now a
    > commercial property.

    As are many of the best strips -- Schlock Mercenary, Sluggy
    Freelance, etc., all making money. In fact, I think virtually ALL
    webcomics found on the popular sites are monetary ventures. Some make
    their creators nothing. Others, like Sluggy, Schlock, and
    SomethingPositive, make enough so that it's their creators' main
    source of income.

    > I agree with you here, but my stack is comic books. I just find these gamer
    > strips to be worse than Garfield.

    Then you must not be the target audience. Most of the better known
    gamer strips -- OOtS, RPGWorld, etc -- usually manage at least SOME
    funny stuff, often a lot of it, and Garfield hasn't managed that for
    at least 10 years.

    >>>And some of these comics are not very good at all, but they have
    >>>greater value
    >>>than things like Dork Tower or Order of the Stick
    >>
    >>Greater value? This is not deep philosophical thought. By all means,
    >>show us a comic with "value"...this should be funny.
    >

    > Aesthetic value is my concern here.

    If you're talking about VISUAL aesthetics, you have a point. But
    then, that isn't the goal of these comics, either.

    --
    Sea Wasp
    /^\

    "Sea Wasp" <seawaspobvious@obvioussgeinc.com> wrote in message
    > Joseph wrote:
    >> Matt Frisch <matuse73@yahoo.spam.me.not.com> wrote in
    >
    >>>So, that's a retraction then. Thanks.
    >>

    >> Hardly, I find Order of the Stick to be terrible.
    >
    > While I find it brilliant, and funny. Of course, I'm one of the real
    > target audience -- a long time gamer who's progressed through all of the
    > different incarnations of the game. OOtS won't be funny to outsiders at
    > ALL.

    Actually, quite a few issues are. Some are just plain funny to anyone.

    > I also note it is now a
    >> commercial property.
    >
    > As are many of the best strips -- Schlock Mercenary, Sluggy Freelance,
    > etc., all making money.

    Futhermore, what is wrong with it? Marvel and DC don't hand out their stuff
    for free, do they?

    --
    ^v^v^Malachias Invictus^v^v^

    It matters not how strait the gate,
    How charged with punishment the scroll,
    I am the Master of my fate:
    I am the Captain of my soul.

    Sea Wasp <seawaspobvious@obvioussgeinc.com> wrote in

    > Joseph wrote:
    >> Matt Frisch <matuse73@yahoo.spam.me.not.com> wrote in
    >
    >>>So, that's a retraction then. Thanks.
    >>

    >> Hardly, I find Order of the Stick to be terrible.
    >
    > While I find it brilliant, and funny. Of course, I'm one of the
    > real
    > target audience -- a long time gamer who's progressed through all of
    > the different incarnations of the game. OOtS won't be funny to
    > outsiders at ALL. (If you think you're an insider, and you don't find
    > it funny, I think you had all sense of humor surgically removed.)

    And here is where the divergence of opinion comes from. I came into the
    hobby from a Narrativist viewpoint (though I quickly developed a taste
    for Simulationism). I entered AD&D from reading the early Dragonlance
    novels in the 80's. I get significantly less enjoyment reading and
    certainly playing strong Gamist material. And Order of the Stick
    parodies the most hard core Gamism; that's not a subject I find
    interesting or funny. Quite frankly, RGFD has been in the grip of
    dominant Hard Core D&D Gamism for a long time, so I can see why some
    gamers here are attracted to it.

    > I also note it is now a
    >> commercial property.
    >
    > As are many of the best strips -- Schlock Mercenary, Sluggy
    > Freelance, etc., all making money. In fact, I think virtually ALL
    > webcomics found on the popular sites are monetary ventures. Some make
    > their creators nothing. Others, like Sluggy, Schlock, and
    > SomethingPositive, make enough so that it's their creators' main
    > source of income.

    Yes, but I reserve my right to critique these strips. I admit that I
    take a tiny bit of extra notice of the commercial ones.

    >> I agree with you here, but my stack is comic books. I just find these
    >> gamer strips to be worse than Garfield.
    >
    > Then you must not be the target audience. Most of the better
    > known
    > gamer strips -- OOtS, RPGWorld, etc -- usually manage at least SOME
    > funny stuff, often a lot of it, and Garfield hasn't managed that for
    > at least 10 years.

    You know what got me going on this topic; it was Singer's comment

    >Robert Singers <rsingers@finger.hotmail.com> wrote in

    > Face it, anyone here who doesn't read Order of the Stick regularly
    > deserves constant abuse.

    See, I often have impulses to resist that kind of thinking.

    >>>Greater value? This is not deep philosophical thought. By all means,
    >>>show us a comic with "value"...this should be funny.
    >>

    >> Aesthetic value is my concern here.
    >
    > If you're talking about VISUAL aesthetics, you have a point. But
    > then, that isn't the goal of these comics, either.

    I don't like the plots or characters either even as a parody. I get no
    entertainment value from it. And the goal of laughing at the foibles of
    Gamist D&D play is to me cheap and easy.

    "Malachias Invictus" <capt_malachias@hotmail.com> wrote in

    > "Sea Wasp" <seawaspobvious@obvioussgeinc.com> wrote in message
    >> Joseph wrote:
    >>> Matt Frisch <matuse73@yahoo.spam.me.not.com> wrote in

    >>> Hardly, I find Order of the Stick to be terrible.
    >>
    >> While I find it brilliant, and funny. Of course, I'm one of the real
    >> target audience -- a long time gamer who's progressed through all of
    >> the different incarnations of the game. OOtS won't be funny to
    >> outsiders at ALL.
    >
    > Actually, quite a few issues are. Some are just plain funny to
    > anyone.

    You probably have read more than I have, but I don't find them funny. I
    have yet to find one of these modern ironic gamer strips that is
    entertaining. But than your a member of the Appreciation of MSB's
    Abusive Rants as Humor Society, so I hardly can put much stock in your
    in your value judgments of what is funny. Why? Because MSB and the rest
    of the abusive feces throwing monkeys of Usenet are not funny; they are
    *pests*.

    >> I also note it is now a
    >>> commercial property.
    >>
    >> As are many of the best strips -- Schlock Mercenary, Sluggy
    >> Freelance, etc., all making money.
    >
    > Futhermore, what is wrong with it? Marvel and DC don't hand out their
    > stuff for free, do they?

    And as large corporations, I slam them far worse than I do gamer strips
    when they produce comic trash.

    "Joseph" <void@verizon.net> wrote in message
    > "Malachias Invictus" <capt_malachias@hotmail.com> wrote

    > You probably have read more than I have, but I don't find them funny. I
    > have yet to find one of these modern ironic gamer strips that is
    > entertaining.

    You are obviously not his target audience.

    > But than your a member of the Appreciation of MSB's
    > Abusive Rants as Humor Society,

    Wow. You *really* love to give other people tremendous amounts of power
    over your world.

    >>> As are many of the best strips -- Schlock Mercenary, Sluggy
    >>> Freelance, etc., all making money.
    >>
    >> Futhermore, what is wrong with it? Marvel and DC don't hand out their
    >> stuff for free, do they?
    >
    > And as large corporations, I slam them far worse than I do gamer strips
    > when they produce comic trash.

    Do you give them money?

    --
    ^v^v^Malachias Invictus^v^v^

    It matters not how strait the gate,
    How charged with punishment the scroll,
    I am the Master of my fate:
    I am the Captain of my soul.

    Dear Joseph:

    I happen to find Order of the Stick very funny. I see moments of it
    with the group I play in. Previous campaign, a player behaved worse
    than Roy when he lost his sword. However, I do agree with your
    original point: you were offended at the notion that participating in
    this forum and not liking the strip makes you a freak. That was an
    overgeneralization of stupidity for which you are now being accused as
    you defend your distaste for the strip. There is no canon law that you
    must like Order of the Stick. We who are fans of it cannot make you
    like it. You cannot make fans of it not like it. Everything else is
    commentary.

    Gerald Katz

    Joseph wrote:
    > Sea Wasp <seawaspobvious@obvioussgeinc.com> wrote in
    >

    >>Joseph wrote:
    >>
    >>>Matt Frisch <matuse73@yahoo.spam.me.not.com> wrote in

    >>>Hardly, I find Order of the Stick to be terrible.
    >>
    >> While I find it brilliant, and funny. Of course, I'm one of the
    >> real
    >>target audience -- a long time gamer who's progressed through all of
    >>the different incarnations of the game. OOtS won't be funny to
    >>outsiders at ALL. (If you think you're an insider, and you don't find
    >>it funny, I think you had all sense of humor surgically removed.)
    >

    > And here is where the divergence of opinion comes from. I came into the
    > hobby from a Narrativist viewpoint (though I quickly developed a taste
    > for Simulationism). I entered AD&D from reading the early Dragonlance
    > novels in the 80's.

    As I said: I'm a *long*
    > You know what got me going on this topic; it was Singer's comment
    >

    >>Robert Singers <rsingers@finger.hotmail.com> wrote in
    >

    >>Face it, anyone here who doesn't read Order of the Stick regularly
    >>deserves constant abuse.
    >

    > See, I often have impulses to resist that kind of thinking.

    But you can't resist it by popping in and volunteering for the abuse
    that the original poster was offering...

    --
    Sea Wasp
    /^\

    > Joseph wrote:
    >> Sea Wasp <seawaspobvious@obvioussgeinc.com> wrote in

    >>> While I find it brilliant, and funny. Of course, I'm one of the
    >>> real
    >>>target audience -- a long time gamer who's progressed through all of
    >>>the different incarnations of the game. OOtS won't be funny to
    >>>outsiders at ALL. (If you think you're an insider, and you don't find
    >>>it funny, I think you had all sense of humor surgically removed.)
    >>

    >> And here is where the divergence of opinion comes from. I came into
    >> the hobby from a Narrativist viewpoint (though I quickly developed a
    >> taste for Simulationism). I entered AD&D from reading the early
    >> Dragonlance novels in the 80's.
    >
    > As I said: I'm a *long*
    >> You know what got me going on this topic; it was Singer's comment
    >>

    >>>Robert Singers <rsingers@finger.hotmail.com> wrote in
    >>

    >>>Face it, anyone here who doesn't read Order of the Stick regularly
    >>>deserves constant abuse.
    >>

    >> See, I often have impulses to resist that kind of thinking.
    >
    > But you can't resist it by popping in and volunteering for the
    > abuse
    > that the original poster was offering...

    Yea, my track here is unwise from that perspective, but the abuse is just
    an annoyance to me instead of *getting* to me. Frankly, the gloves are off;
    I'm not playing nice anymore with these jokers. And I won't self-censor
    myself anymore for the sake of civil discourse. If I choose to do so, I
    will speak my mind whenever I choose. Besides, most of these flamers would
    get eaten alive by the truly talented posters I've seen elsewhere if they
    tried their usual asinine shtick in other groups.

    > And I won't self-censor myself anymore

    ....as opposed to self-censoring someone else, of course.

    --
    ^v^v^Malachias Invictus^v^v^

    It matters not how strait the gate,
    How charged with punishment the scroll,
    I am the Master of my fate:
    I am the Captain of my soul.

    On Mon, 05 Sep 2005 19:54:39 GMT, Joseph <void@verizon.net> dared
    speak in front of ME:

    >"Malachias Invictus" <capt_malachias@hotmail.com> wrote in
    >

    >> "Sea Wasp" <seawaspobvious@obvioussgeinc.com> wrote in message

    >>> While I find it brilliant, and funny. Of course, I'm one of the real
    >>> target audience -- a long time gamer who's progressed through all of
    >>> the different incarnations of the game. OOtS won't be funny to
    >>> outsiders at ALL.
    >>
    >> Actually, quite a few issues are. Some are just plain funny to
    >> anyone.
    >
    >You probably have read more than I have, but I don't find them funny. I
    >have yet to find one of these modern ironic gamer strips that is
    >entertaining.

    You don't like Penny Arcade or Megatokyo?

    I'm sorry, but we can't be friends anymore if you don't appreciate
    this one:
    http://www.penny-arcade.com/view.php?date=2005-09-05

    --
    The radical invents the views. When he has worn them out
    the conservative adopts them.

    > "Joseph" <void@verizon.net> wrote in message
    >> "Malachias Invictus" <capt_malachias@hotmail.com> wrote
    >
    >> You probably have read more than I have, but I don't find them funny.
    >> I have yet to find one of these modern ironic gamer strips that is
    >> entertaining.
    >
    > You are obviously not his target audience.

    True, but that is not going to stop critics from commenting -- sometimes
    being outside the target audience helps one to see the flaws better.

    >> But than your a member of the Appreciation of MSB's
    >> Abusive Rants as Humor Society,
    >
    > Wow. You *really* love to give other people tremendous amounts of
    > power over your world.

    Maybe, at first (but I had my reasons), but not anymore. I'm amusing
    myself now; I do things at my pace now. And this newsgroup is such a
    minute fraction of my world anyway.

    >>> Futhermore, what is wrong with it? Marvel and DC don't hand out
    >>> their stuff for free, do they?
    >>
    >> And as large corporations, I slam them far worse than I do gamer
    >> strips when they produce comic trash.
    >
    > Do you give them money?

    Indirectly, I subscribe to a number of their products though third-party
    mail order.

    > "Malachias Invictus" <capt_malachias@hotmail.com> wrote in
    >

    >> "Joseph" <void@verizon.net> wrote in message
    >>> "Malachias Invictus" <capt_malachias@hotmail.com> wrote
    >>
    >>> You probably have read more than I have, but I don't find them funny.
    >>> I have yet to find one of these modern ironic gamer strips that is
    >>> entertaining.
    >>
    >> You are obviously not his target audience.
    >
    > True, but that is not going to stop critics from commenting -- sometimes
    > being outside the target audience helps one to see the flaws better.

    Whatever, bubba.

    >>> But than your a member of the Appreciation of MSB's
    >>> Abusive Rants as Humor Society,
    >>
    >> Wow. You *really* love to give other people tremendous amounts of
    >> power over your world.
    >
    > Maybe, at first (but I had my reasons), but not anymore.

    Keep telling yourself that.

    >>> And as large corporations, I slam them far worse than I do gamer
    >>> strips when they produce comic trash.
    >>
    >> Do you give them money?
    >
    > Indirectly,

    The answer you are looking for is "yes". As long as you are doing that,
    they correctly will ignore your "slams".

    --

    > "Joseph" <void@verizon.net> wrote in message
    >> And I won't self-censor myself anymore
    >
    > ...as opposed to self-censoring someone else, of course.

    Ha! Dream on Mal.

    > "Malachias Invictus" <capt_malachias@hotmail.com> wrote in
    >

    >> "Joseph" <void@verizon.net> wrote in message
    >>> And I won't self-censor myself anymore
    >>
    >> ...as opposed to self-censoring someone else, of course.
    >
    > Ha! Dream on Mal.

    <knocks on Joseph's head>

    Is there a dead cat in there, or what?

    --

    > "Joseph" <void@verizon.net> wrote in message
    >> "Malachias Invictus" <capt_malachias@hotmail.com> wrote in
    >>

    >>> "Joseph" <void@verizon.net> wrote in message

    >>> You are obviously not his target audience.
    >>
    >> True, but that is not going to stop critics from commenting -- sometimes
    >> being outside the target audience helps one to see the flaws better.
    >
    > Whatever, bubba.

    >>> Wow. You *really* love to give other people tremendous amounts of
    >>> power over your world.
    >>
    >> Maybe, at first (but I had my reasons), but not anymore.
    >
    > Keep telling yourself that.

    >>> Do you give them money?
    >>
    >> Indirectly,
    >
    > The answer you are looking for is "yes". As long as you are doing that,
    > they correctly will ignore your "slams".

    Gods, you are stupid *and* boring. Thanks for missing the point again,
    dullard.

    "Hadsil" <forumite@netzero.com> wrote in news:1125980783.394388.186780
    @g43g2000cwa.googlegroups.com:

    > Dear Joseph:
    >
    > I happen to find Order of the Stick very funny. I see moments of it
    > with the group I play in. Previous campaign, a player behaved worse
    > than Roy when he lost his sword. However, I do agree with your
    > original point: you were offended at the notion that participating in
    > this forum and not liking the strip makes you a freak. That was an
    > overgeneralization of stupidity for which you are now being accused as
    > you defend your distaste for the strip. There is no canon law that you
    > must like Order of the Stick. We who are fans of it cannot make you
    > like it. You cannot make fans of it not like it. Everything else is
    > commentary.
    >
    > Gerald Katz

    Very reasonable Gerald, and quite correct, however, generally I enjoy
    making subjective aesthetic commentary on art. Still, there is no use in
    laboring the issue overmuch. My comments upon the lack of quality only
    apply to the actual gamer ironic strips (mainly relating to D&D) that I
    have read. I certainly don't make blanket statements upon quality
    concerning entire subgenres of art. I can only say my experience with the
    webcomic gamer strips I have read plus my lack of interest in the themes
    (postmodern ironic) and forms (strips) leads me to avoid most of them. But
    that is a personal idiosyncratic taste, not a judgment upon their potential
    quality.

    > Gods, you are stupid *and* boring.

    Project much, kook?

    --

    Joseph wrote:

    > Sea Wasp <seawaspobvious@obvioussgeinc.com> wrote in
    >

    >>Joseph wrote:
    >>
    >>>Matt Frisch <matuse73@yahoo.spam.me.not.com> wrote in

    >>>Hardly, I find Order of the Stick to be terrible.
    >>
    >> While I find it brilliant, and funny. Of course, I'm one of the
    >> real
    >>target audience -- a long time gamer who's progressed through all of
    >>the different incarnations of the game. OOtS won't be funny to
    >>outsiders at ALL. (If you think you're an insider, and you don't find
    >>it funny, I think you had all sense of humor surgically removed.)
    >

    > And here is where the divergence of opinion comes from. I came into the
    > hobby from a Narrativist viewpoint (though I quickly developed a taste
    > for Simulationism).

    Joystarr?

    - Ron ^*^

    On Mon, 05 Sep 2005 19:29:11 GMT, Joseph <void@verizon.net> carved
    upon a tablet of ether:

    > Sea Wasp <seawaspobvious@obvioussgeinc.com> wrote in
    >
    > > Joseph wrote:
    > >> Matt Frisch <matuse73@yahoo.spam.me.not.com> wrote in

    > >> Hardly, I find Order of the Stick to be terrible.
    > >
    > > While I find it brilliant, and funny. Of course, I'm one of the
    > > real
    > > target audience -- a long time gamer who's progressed through all of
    > > the different incarnations of the game. OOtS won't be funny to
    > > outsiders at ALL. (If you think you're an insider, and you don't find
    > > it funny, I think you had all sense of humor surgically removed.)
    >
    > And here is where the divergence of opinion comes from. I came into the
    > hobby from a Narrativist viewpoint (though I quickly developed a taste
    > for Simulationism). I entered AD&D from reading the early Dragonlance
    > novels in the 80's. I get significantly less enjoyment reading and
    > certainly playing strong Gamist material. And Order of the Stick
    > parodies the most hard core Gamism; that's not a subject I find
    > interesting or funny. Quite frankly, RGFD has been in the grip of
    > dominant Hard Core D&D Gamism for a long time, so I can see why some
    > gamers here are attracted to it.

    As the game in question, xD&D, is hard-core gamist, especially in its
    current incarnation, this shouldn't come as a surprise to you.

    If you're not gamist, why don't you stroll on over to rgfm or rgfg,
    where there's a lower percentage of us nasty gamists.

    BTW, I don't think you match most people's notion of simualtionist.
    Not at all.

    --
    Rupert Boleyn <rboleyn@paradise.net.nz>
    should be free."

    Malachias Invictus wrote:

    > ....and a half-ogre has a *20'* reach with a spiked chain.

    Not in 3.5, where all reach weapons add 5' to your normal reach,
    regardless of how large that is (but not for fine and diminutive
    critters, IIRC).

    --
    tussock

    Aspie at work, sorry in advance.

    tussock wrote:
    > Malachias Invictus wrote:
    >>
    >> ....and a half-ogre has a *20'* reach with a spiked chain.
    >
    > Not in 3.5, where all reach weapons add 5' to your normal reach,
    > regardless of how large that is (but not for fine and diminutive
    > critters, IIRC).

    From the 3.5 SRD:

    "Reach Weapons: Glaives, guisarmes, lances, longspears, ranseurs, spiked
    chains, and whips are reach weapons. A reach weapon is a melee weapon that
    allows its wielder to strike at targets that aren't adjacent to him or her.
    Most reach double the wielder's natural reach, meaning that a typical Small
    or Medium wielder of such a weapon can attack a creature 10 feet away, but
    not a creature in an adjacent square. A typical Large character wielding a
    reach weapon of the appropriate size can attack a creature 15 or 20 feet
    away, but not adjacent creatures or creatures up to 10 feet away."

    Note the last sentence in particular.

    --
    Mark.

    "tussock" <scrub@clear.net.nz> wrote in message
    > Malachias Invictus wrote:
    >>
    >> ....and a half-ogre has a *20'* reach with a spiked chain.
    >
    > Not in 3.5, where all reach weapons add 5' to your normal reach,
    > regardless of how large that is

    No, they double your reach, meaning a size large spiked chain adds 10' to
    the ogre's 10' reach. A typical ruling when dealing with Powerful Build is
    to simply add this reach onto the character's existing reach (e.g. a Goliath
    wielding a size large long spear could attack at 10' and 15' away, but not
    5' away).

    --

    Mark Blunden wrote:
    > tussock wrote:
    >
    >>Malachias Invictus wrote:
    >>
    >>>....and a half-ogre has a *20'* reach with a spiked chain.
    >>
    >> Not in 3.5, where all reach weapons add 5' to your normal reach,
    >>regardless of how large that is (but not for fine and diminutive
    >>critters, IIRC).
    >

    > From the 3.5 SRD:
    >
    > "Reach Weapons: Glaives, guisarmes, lances, longspears, ranseurs, spiked
    > chains, and whips are reach weapons. A reach weapon is a melee weapon that
    > allows its wielder to strike at targets that aren't adjacent to him or her.
    > Most reach double the wielder's natural reach, meaning that a typical Small
    > or Medium wielder of such a weapon can attack a creature 10 feet away, but
    > not a creature in an adjacent square. A typical Large character wielding a
    > reach weapon of the appropriate size can attack a creature 15 or 20 feet
    > away, but not adjacent creatures or creatures up to 10 feet away."

    So BTB, a Tiny creature with a reach weapon still has a 0 reach?

    I'd rule that Tinies get 5' reach with a reach weapon.

    - Ron ^*^

    Werebat wrote:
    > Mark Blunden wrote:
    >> tussock wrote:

    >>> Not in 3.5, where all reach weapons add 5' to your normal reach,
    >>> regardless of how large that is (but not for fine and diminutive
    >>> critters, IIRC).
    >>

    >> From the 3.5 SRD:
    >>
    >> "Reach Weapons: Glaives, guisarmes, lances, longspears, ranseurs,
    >> spiked chains, and whips are reach weapons. A reach weapon is a
    >> melee weapon that allows its wielder to strike at targets that
    >> aren't adjacent to him or her. Most reach double the wielder's
    >> natural reach, meaning that a typical Small or Medium wielder of
    >> such a weapon can attack a creature 10 feet away, but not a creature
    >> in an adjacent square. A typical Large character wielding a reach
    >> weapon of the appropriate size can attack a creature 15 or 20 feet
    >> away, but not adjacent creatures or creatures up to 10 feet away."
    >
    > So BTB, a Tiny creature with a reach weapon still has a 0 reach?
    >
    > I'd rule that Tinies get 5' reach with a reach weapon.

    The DMG gives more rules for unusually large or small creatures. I can't
    track down the information in the SRD (if it's there), but it's on page 29
    of the 3.5 SRD. Under "Very Small Creatures", it says that some Tiny or
    smaller creatures may carry reach weapons that threaten adjacent squares.

    --
    Mark.

    Joseph wrote:

    > "Hadsil" <forumite@netzero.com> wrote in news:1125980783.394388.186780
    > @g43g2000cwa.googlegroups.com:
    >

    >>Dear Joseph:
    >>
    >>I happen to find Order of the Stick very funny. I see moments of it
    >>with the group I play in. Previous campaign, a player behaved worse
    >>than Roy when he lost his sword. However, I do agree with your
    >>original point: you were offended at the notion that participating in
    >>this forum and not liking the strip makes you a freak. That was an
    >>overgeneralization of stupidity for which you are now being accused as
    >>you defend your distaste for the strip. There is no canon law that you
    >>must like Order of the Stick. We who are fans of it cannot make you
    >>like it. You cannot make fans of it not like it. Everything else is
    >>commentary.
    >>
    >>Gerald Katz
    >

    > Very reasonable Gerald, and quite correct, however, generally I enjoy
    > making subjective aesthetic commentary on art.

    > Still, there is no use in
    > laboring the issue overmuch.

    > My comments upon the lack of quality only
    > apply to the actual gamer ironic strips (mainly relating to D&D) that I
    > have read. I certainly don't make blanket statements upon quality
    > concerning entire subgenres of art. I can only say my experience with the
    > webcomic gamer strips I have read plus my lack of interest in the themes
    > (postmodern ironic) and forms (strips) leads me to avoid most of them. But
    > that is a personal idiosyncratic taste, not a judgment upon their potential
    > quality.

    Dear God.

    It *is* him.

    One of my old sock puppets has gained sentience!

    I'm going to hide under the bed now. From OGUR BOY.

    - Ron ^*^

    "Werebat" <ranpoirier@cox.net> wrote in message

    > Joseph wrote:
    >
    >> "Hadsil" <forumite@netzero.com> wrote in news:1125980783.394388.186780
    >> @g43g2000cwa.googlegroups.com:
    >>

    >>>Dear Joseph:
    >>>
    >>>I happen to find Order of the Stick very funny. I see moments of it
    >>>with the group I play in. Previous campaign, a player behaved worse
    >>>than Roy when he lost his sword. However, I do agree with your
    >>>original point: you were offended at the notion that participating in
    >>>this forum and not liking the strip makes you a freak. That was an
    >>>overgeneralization of stupidity for which you are now being accused as
    >>>you defend your distaste for the strip. There is no canon law that you
    >>>must like Order of the Stick. We who are fans of it cannot make you
    >>>like it. You cannot make fans of it not like it. Everything else is
    >>>commentary.
    >>>
    >>>Gerald Katz
    >>

    >> Very reasonable Gerald, and quite correct, however, generally I enjoy
    >> making subjective aesthetic commentary on art.

    >> Still, there is no use in laboring the issue overmuch.

    >> My comments upon the lack of quality only apply to the actual gamer
    >> ironic strips (mainly relating to D&D) that I have read. I certainly
    >> don't make blanket statements upon quality concerning entire subgenres of
    >> art. I can only say my experience with the webcomic gamer strips I have
    >> read plus my lack of interest in the themes (postmodern ironic) and forms
    >> (strips) leads me to avoid most of them. But that is a personal
    >> idiosyncratic taste, not a judgment upon their potential quality.
    >
    > Dear God.
    >
    > It *is* him.
    >
    > One of my old sock puppets has gained sentience!

    Isn't that a sign of apotheosis?

    > I'm going to hide under the bed now. From OGUR BOY.

    Why? He is one of the Heralds of Ron...

    --
    ^v^v^Malachias Invictus^v^v^

    It matters not how strait the gate,
    How charged with punishment the scroll,
    I am the Master of my fate:
    I am the Captain of my soul.

    Between saving the world and having a spot of tea Sea Wasp said

    >> Aesthetic value is my concern here.
    >
    > If you're talking about VISUAL aesthetics, you have a point. But
    > then, that isn't the goal of these comics, either.

    I don't believe Joseph the Stupid does. There's a point to the visual
    asethic just as there is with other cartoons such as Diesel Sweeties. Or
    perhaps what he's really saying is that it doesn't look like his mange porn
    and he can't understand it.

    --
    Rob Singers
    "All your Ron are belong to us"

    Robert Singers wrote:
    > Between saving the world and having a spot of tea Sea Wasp said
    >

    >>>Aesthetic value is my concern here.
    >>
    >> If you're talking about VISUAL aesthetics, you have a point. But
    >>then, that isn't the goal of these comics, either.
    >

    > I don't believe Joseph the Stupid does. There's a point to the visual
    > asethic just as there is with other cartoons such as Diesel Sweeties. Or
    > perhaps what he's really saying is that it doesn't look like his mange porn
    > and he can't understand it.

    Although your pungent commentary here belies your own lowbrow
    limitations, methinks it may prove amusing to grace you with a small
    sampling of the prodigious commingling of visual art and literary
    excellence with which I nurture my own psyche.

    Like as not, your groping, simian mind will only be able to comprehend
    the broadest of the many fine points contained within these well-crafted
    gems; don't let that stop you, though. I believe that even the most
    basal of creatures can hope to inch itself closer to my own plane of
    awareness through exposure to superior works such as these:

    http://www.altermeta.com/index.php?PS=viewComic.php&comic=121

    http://www.webcomics.com/comics/dsaurs.html

    http://www.gamer-girl.org/hunger/hunger18.html

    http://www.webcomics.com/comics/barely.html