Are these little guys worth the +1 LA? They look like they'd make very
effective rogues...

- Ron ^*^

Werebat wrote:

> Are these little guys worth the +1 LA?

More so than the hobgoblin. :D (That said, IMC, to balance their
shittiness for a +1 LA, I give hobgoblins one feat as a racial bonus
feat, chosen from the fighter bonus feats list, Endurance, or a
martial weapon proficiency; they still have to meet the prerequisites
for the feat. For ease of DMing, I just assume that mook non-warriors
choose a martial weapon proficiency, and mook Wars choose Endurance.)

> They look like they'd make very effective rogues...

That they do: +2 Dex, +2 Con, Small, 30' move, +3 NA, +4 Balance, +4
Jump, +5 Hide (chameleon skin), Poison Use for free, low-light vision,
and hold breath. Their only downside is the Small size (which tends
to be a wash, IME, especially with no Str penalty) and the -2 Cha.
With FC: Ranger, that lets a core Poison Dusk take a single level of
ranger with no penalty, to get a favored enemy, track, wild empathy,
proficiency with all martial weapons (including net and bola, through
familiarity) and access to some druidic magic items with no UMD check
required.

Overall, I think they're worth the +1 LA, and certainly a feasible
alternative rogue (to a human, halfling or changeling) for a non-urban
game.

--
Nik
- remove vermin from email address to reply.

Nikolas Landauer wrote:

> Werebat wrote:
>
>>Are these little guys worth the +1 LA?
>

> More so than the hobgoblin. :D (That said, IMC, to balance their
> shittiness for a +1 LA, I give hobgoblins one feat as a racial bonus
> feat, chosen from the fighter bonus feats list, Endurance, or a
> martial weapon proficiency; they still have to meet the prerequisites
> for the feat. For ease of DMing, I just assume that mook non-warriors
> choose a martial weapon proficiency, and mook Wars choose Endurance.)

As someone who will be running an Eberron campaign eventually, I like
this idea. BTB hobgobs are pretty lame.

>>They look like they'd make very effective rogues...
>

> That they do: +2 Dex, +2 Con, Small, 30' move, +3 NA, +4 Balance, +4
> Jump, +5 Hide (chameleon skin), Poison Use for free, low-light vision,
> and hold breath. Their only downside is the Small size (which tends
> to be a wash, IME, especially with no Str penalty) and the -2 Cha.
> With FC: Ranger, that lets a core Poison Dusk take a single level of
> ranger with no penalty, to get a favored enemy, track, wild empathy,
> proficiency with all martial weapons (including net and bola, through
> familiarity) and access to some druidic magic items with no UMD check
> required.

Or two levels of Ranger for free TWF feat!

> Overall, I think they're worth the +1 LA, and certainly a feasible
> alternative rogue (to a human, halfling or changeling) for a non-urban
> game.

True that. I'm thinking of running a game set in Q'Barra, so I'm doing
my research. :^)

- Ron ^*^

In article <RfCSe.7657$Cc5.3399@lakeread06>, ronpoirier@cox.net says...

> > That they do: +2 Dex, +2 Con, Small, 30' move, +3 NA, +4 Balance, +4
> > Jump, +5 Hide (chameleon skin), Poison Use for free, low-light vision,
> > and hold breath. Their only downside is the Small size (which tends
> > to be a wash, IME, especially with no Str penalty) and the -2 Cha.
> > With FC: Ranger, that lets a core Poison Dusk take a single level of
> > ranger with no penalty, to get a favored enemy, track, wild empathy,
> > proficiency with all martial weapons (including net and bola, through
> > familiarity) and access to some druidic magic items with no UMD check
> > required.
>
> Or two levels of Ranger for free TWF feat!

Interesting... Where can the stats for the poison dusks be found?

--
Jasin Zujovic
jzujovic@inet.hr

Jasin Zujovic wrote:

> In article <RfCSe.7657$Cc5.3399@lakeread06>, ronpoirier@cox.net says...
>

>>>That they do: +2 Dex, +2 Con, Small, 30' move, +3 NA, +4 Balance, +4
>>>Jump, +5 Hide (chameleon skin), Poison Use for free, low-light vision,
>>>and hold breath. Their only downside is the Small size (which tends
>>>to be a wash, IME, especially with no Str penalty) and the -2 Cha.
>>>With FC: Ranger, that lets a core Poison Dusk take a single level of
>>>ranger with no penalty, to get a favored enemy, track, wild empathy,
>>>proficiency with all martial weapons (including net and bola, through
>>>familiarity) and access to some druidic magic items with no UMD check
>>>required.
>>
>>Or two levels of Ranger for free TWF feat!
>

> Interesting... Where can the stats for the poison dusks be found?

MMIII, under "Lizardfolk". They were created specifically for Eberron,
and specifically for the jungles of Q'Barra. Along with the Blackscale
Lizardfolk, they make the D&D equivalent of Warhammer's lizardfolk --
with poison dusks being the skink equivalents, and blackscales being the
kroxigors.

- Ron ^*^

Werebat wrote:
> Jasin Zujovic wrote:
>>
>> Interesting... Where can the stats for the poison dusks be found?
>
> MMIII, under "Lizardfolk". They were created specifically for Eberron,
> and specifically for the jungles of Q'Barra. Along with the Blackscale
> Lizardfolk, they make the D&D equivalent of Warhammer's lizardfolk --
> with poison dusks being the skink equivalents, and blackscales being the
> kroxigors.

Wouldn't that be Skink and Saurus?

--
tussock

Aspie at work, sorry in advance.

tussock wrote:

> Werebat wrote:
>
>> Jasin Zujovic wrote:
>>

>>> Interesting... Where can the stats for the poison dusks be found?
>>

>> MMIII, under "Lizardfolk". They were created specifically for
>> Eberron, and specifically for the jungles of Q'Barra. Along with the
>> Blackscale Lizardfolk, they make the D&D equivalent of Warhammer's
>> lizardfolk -- with poison dusks being the skink equivalents, and
>> blackscales being the kroxigors.
>

> Wouldn't that be Skink and Saurus?

Oh, right... The kroxis are the REALLY big ones, aren't they?

- Ron ^*^

Werebat wrote:
> Nikolas Landauer wrote:
> > Werebat wrote:
> > >
> > > Are these little guys worth the +1 LA?
> >
> > More so than the hobgoblin. :D (That said, IMC, to
> > balance their shittiness for a +1 LA, I give hobgoblins
> > one feat as a racial bonus feat, chosen from the fighter
> > bonus feats list, Endurance, or a martial weapon
> > proficiency; they still have to meet the prerequisites
> > for the feat. For ease of DMing, I just assume that
> > mook non-warriors choose a martial weapon proficiency,
> > and mook Wars choose Endurance.)
>
> As someone who will be running an Eberron campaign
> eventually, I like this idea. BTB hobgobs are pretty
> lame.

I agree. I like the idea of hobgoblins as being the goblinoids who
are dangerous because they're so *close* to organizing fully, so I
decided to give them a very militaristic benefit. My reasoning was:
1) specialty training (fighter bonus feat); or
2) weapons training (martial weapon proficiency; intended for
hobgoblin adepts and the like); or
3) endurance training (forced marching, etc.).

--

tussock wrote:
> Werebat wrote:
>
>> Jasin Zujovic wrote:
>>

>>> Interesting... Where can the stats for the poison dusks be found?
>>

>> MMIII, under "Lizardfolk". They were created specifically for
>> Eberron, and specifically for the jungles of Q'Barra. Along with the
>> Blackscale Lizardfolk, they make the D&D equivalent of Warhammer's
>> lizardfolk -- with poison dusks being the skink equivalents, and
>> blackscales being the kroxigors.
>

> Wouldn't that be Skink and Saurus?

Or Sleestaks.

http://www.lyricstime.com/lyrics/42025.html