Sign in with
Your question

Slow Printing With Win 2000

Last response: in Windows 2000/NT
April 15, 2003 8:09:23 PM

Hello all,
I am having major problems with Windows 2000 and printing. its so damn slow and was always super quick. I work in a Net cafe and all PC's are printing to one shared printer. I'm running Win 2000 Pro with SPK 1 on all machines. I'm using a HP Deskjet 940c.

Priting was fine until recently, I was getting a Print Subsystem Unavailable error but resolved that on Microsoft support site.

I hope one of u guys can help, I really really appreciate it a lot.

:-)

More about : slow printing win 2000

April 15, 2003 8:20:12 PM

You really need to get up to service pack 3 on all those machines. There are a lot of security and stability enhancements that are worth having.

For the printer...

First, be sure your print spooler service is set to AUTO on all machines in your network.

Make sure all machines have the print mode set to the same format (Ususally "Raw").

Check your printer sharing, be sure it's set correctly on each machine.

Also be sure the "start printing immediately" option is checked on the main machine.

Also try reinstalling the drivers on the machine where you print from.

And... of course, make sure you clients don't have permission to change the printer settings.

--->It ain't better if it don't work<---
April 16, 2003 3:21:26 AM

Teg beat me to the punch. By telling you to upgrade to SP3. I have 2000 PRO only one computer. My printer HP 932C. No problems.
Related resources
April 16, 2003 5:38:54 PM

MS update site haz a patch for HP DeskJets for not taking 100% of CPU when printing.

..this is very useful and helpful place for information...
April 16, 2003 7:33:59 PM

"First, be sure your print spooler service is set to AUTO on all machines in your network."

How does I do this? Thanx for all the info guys!!
April 16, 2003 8:21:03 PM

The print spooler is a Service... a software module run by win2000 to provide a specific function.

Go into your control panel, click on Administrative Tools, then Services.

This will give you a list of all services running on your machine.

Scan down the list to Print Spooler... if it's not set to Automatic, right click it and select properties and put it on automatic, then close the dialogues and reboot.

If you are administering a win2k network, you really need to learn about services and how to set them up... You'd be amazed how much you can customize your systems and you'll be surprised how much more secure and speedy you can make them... all through services.

--->It ain't better if it don't work<---
April 17, 2003 3:28:36 PM

@Teq
Cheers for that man. I have always been eager to learn more about Win 2000 and admin, so I guess this is the best place to start. I will let u know how I get on.

The printer is a HP Deskjet 940c, not the best in the world but I think it shoule be faster than it is, then again maybe that's just wishful thinking :-)

Thanx again!
!