Radeon 9700pro: How to convert S-video to RCA/COAX

OuT

Distinguished
Jan 9, 2003
I did some searches and really couldn't find any useful information that wasn't outdated, so I was wondering if someone could help me out.

I'm trying to connect my s-video out to my TV (coaxial or RCA), and I'm assuming I need to have a modulator to convert the signal from digital to analog. Can anyone recommend a site or product that will allow me to connect my computer to my TV (either coaxial or RCA) that isn't going to cost me a crapload of money?

Thanks

Col_Kiwi

Distinguished
Aug 8, 2002
S-Video isn't digital, so it's a lot easier to convert then you might think. S-Video is a composite video signal split into two discrete parts (which are sent over two seperate wires to retain signal integrity), one for chrominance and one for luminance data.

$5 at your local small electronics store will get you an adapter that can do the job. If you live in north america, Radio Shack is easy to find, in europe try Sony Store maybe. If you live elsewhere someone who knows your area will have to help you out with where to look :smile:

-Col.Kiwi

OuT

Distinguished
Jan 9, 2003
I really don't think I understand how S-video works. Is it just video or is it audio and video together on two separate lines? The reason I ask is because I've seen some 4-pin S-video cables as well as 8-pin s-video cables.

If the s-video on the Radeon 9700 pro is only video, could I run audio to the TV by using a cable straight from the speaker output on the card to the tv(RCA) connection, or the S/PDIF Out on the motherboard (Asus A7N8X Deluxe).

(Bah sorry I didn't realize these questions should probably be asked on another board, but thanks for your time in helping me.)

14Dx

Distinguished
May 5, 2002
Radio shack sells a S-Video to RCA converter for $19.99, umm, rip off. look around using google and you can find plans to make your own. All you need is An S-Video cable and an RCA cable, and the rest is pretty easy.

If its not broken, you're not trying hard enough.

phsstpok

Splendid
Dec 31, 2007
If you want to build your own adapter it's pretty easy. Just need to splice half of a SVIDEO cable together with half of a COAX video cable and solder in one 470 pF capacitor.

See link below for the easy circuit diagram.

<A HREF="http://www.epanorama.net/circuits/svideo2cvideo.html" target="_new">http://www.epanorama.net/circuits/svideo2cvideo.html</A>

<b>99% is great, unless you are talking about system stability</b>

OuT

Distinguished
Jan 9, 2003
I found a s-video to rca cable laying around in my old parts, decided to hook it up and check it out. Display looked crappy, except when watching video or dvds from my comp which came out pretty clear.

Only problem I had was that I could see a sort of refresh rate scrolling on the tv (like looking at a monitor through a camcorder). Bah o well.

Thanks for all your help, I learned something new today. :)

phsstpok

Splendid
Dec 31, 2007
Yeah, TV-out from video cards if pretty poor quality.

Don't know about that sync issue. You shouldn't see that. Maybe your adapter is just straight-thru wire (no capacitor).

<b>99% is great, unless you are talking about system stability</b>

scogel

Distinguished
Nov 30, 2001
There is no audio in S-Video only better signal quality for video.

<b> Hey, I always notice that bored look in their eyes. </b> :redface:

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
ATI cards DON'T USE A STANDARD SVIDEO CONNECTOR, they use an SVideo connector with two extra pins! Those two extra pins are composite video. Most cards include an "adapter" cable that's around 4 inches long and does nothing but output those two pins to an RCA connection.

So the connector on ATI cards supports both standard SVideo cables and the ATI style "adapter". If you need that cable, get it from ATI, it cost only $5! Then you'll get a "pure" composite connection instead of a "converted" signal, and your quality will be higher.

<font color=blue>Watts mean squat if you don't have quality!</font color=blue>

OuT

Distinguished
Jan 9, 2003
The S-video connector and video line I used were the ones supplied by the video card (had them laying around in my parts section, forget the video card came with them.)

Someone was telling me that screen resolution plays a factor in tv quality. I had my desktop set to 1024x768, he was saying I should've tried lower and higher resolutions to see if it made a difference before disconnecting it.

Any opinions?