Dimension 8100 RDRAM Memory Upgrade

I have a friend with a Dell Dimension 8100. I recently upgraded it from
Windows Me to XP Pro. All has gone well except for RAM memory allocation.
256 MB (4x64) was probably fine for Me but is barely adequate for XP. It
pages to the hard drive a lot and occasionally gives a prompt saying it's
temporarily increasing the page file, so obviously a memory upgrade is
needed. This is my first experience with RDRAM memory and I'm unsure about
what I need to go from 256 to at least 512. Apparently RDRAM memory has to
be done in pair sets. Can I keep 2 of the 64 modules and replace the other 2
with 256s for a total of 640 MB, or does it have to be 4x128? Any guidance
definitely appreciated. Thanks in advance.

RDRAM is like the old 72-pin SIMMs in Pentium class computers. The rule is that
the memory sticks have to be installed in matched pairs. So, yes, by all means,
pull a pair of 64s and install a pair of 256s for a total of 640MB. Make sure
you get the right speed grade. There are 4 speed grades: PC600, PC711, PC800,
and PC1066. The latter came along at the tail end of the very short
RAMBUS-personal computer era, and it is often incompatible with older
motherboards.

Check the speed grade on the 64s in the system now, and get the same or faster.
In other words, if you have PC600 now (unlikely in a Dell), you can install any
one of PC600, PC711 or PC800 speed grades. If you have PC711, then either PC711
or PC800 will do. Doing it this way will keep you out of trouble.

One last thing: RAMBUS memory is pretty expensive again. Very little new RAMBUS
is manufactured, and you may end up having to get used memory from a known
reliable source. www.crucial.com does not sell RAMBUS because Micron (owner of
Crucial) never paid the extortion royalties to the RAMBUS company to make the
stuff... Ben Myers

On Tue, 14 Dec 2004 23:30:07 -0500, "Sideshow Bob"
<mergatroid@_nospam_.bigfoot.com> wrote:

>I have a friend with a Dell Dimension 8100. I recently upgraded it from
>Windows Me to XP Pro. All has gone well except for RAM memory allocation.
>256 MB (4x64) was probably fine for Me but is barely adequate for XP. It
>pages to the hard drive a lot and occasionally gives a prompt saying it's
>temporarily increasing the page file, so obviously a memory upgrade is
>needed. This is my first experience with RDRAM memory and I'm unsure about
>what I need to go from 256 to at least 512. Apparently RDRAM memory has to
>be done in pair sets. Can I keep 2 of the 64 modules and replace the other 2
>with 256s for a total of 640 MB, or does it have to be 4x128? Any guidance
>definitely appreciated. Thanks in advance.

The 8100 has four slots for memory, so leave the 2x64 and ADD 2x256 for a
total of 640.

PC800 2.5CL if I remember. Definately PC800.

Tom
> RDRAM is like the old 72-pin SIMMs in Pentium class computers. The rule
> is that
> the memory sticks have to be installed in matched pairs. So, yes, by all
> means,
> pull a pair of 64s and install a pair of 256s for a total of 640MB. Make
> sure
> you get the right speed grade. There are 4 speed grades: PC600, PC711,
> PC800,
> and PC1066. The latter came along at the tail end of the very short
> RAMBUS-personal computer era, and it is often incompatible with older
> motherboards.
>
> Check the speed grade on the 64s in the system now, and get the same or
> faster.
> In other words, if you have PC600 now (unlikely in a Dell), you can
> install any
> one of PC600, PC711 or PC800 speed grades. If you have PC711, then either
> PC711
> or PC800 will do. Doing it this way will keep you out of trouble.
>
> One last thing: RAMBUS memory is pretty expensive again. Very little new
> RAMBUS
> is manufactured, and you may end up having to get used memory from a known
> reliable source. www.crucial.com does not sell RAMBUS because Micron
> (owner of
> Crucial) never paid the extortion royalties to the RAMBUS company to make
> the
> stuff... Ben Myers
>
> On Tue, 14 Dec 2004 23:30:07 -0500, "Sideshow Bob"
> <mergatroid@_nospam_.bigfoot.com> wrote:
>
>>I have a friend with a Dell Dimension 8100. I recently upgraded it from
>>Windows Me to XP Pro. All has gone well except for RAM memory allocation.
>>256 MB (4x64) was probably fine for Me but is barely adequate for XP. It
>>pages to the hard drive a lot and occasionally gives a prompt saying it's
>>temporarily increasing the page file, so obviously a memory upgrade is
>>needed. This is my first experience with RDRAM memory and I'm unsure about
>>what I need to go from 256 to at least 512. Apparently RDRAM memory has to
>>be done in pair sets. Can I keep 2 of the 64 modules and replace the other
>>2
>>with 256s for a total of 640 MB, or does it have to be 4x128? Any guidance
>>definitely appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Yes, PC800, I neglected to mention that. I've also since found out that 2 of
what I thought were RAM modules may actually be blanks or CRIMMs. So it
actually could be 2x128. Ahhh, this is nuts. Anyway, I appreciate the

> The 8100 has four slots for memory, so leave the 2x64 and ADD 2x256 for a
> total of 640.
>
> PC800 2.5CL if I remember. Definately PC800.
>
> Tom
> <ben_myers_spam_me_not @ charter.net (Ben Myers)> wrote in message
>> RDRAM is like the old 72-pin SIMMs in Pentium class computers. The rule
>> is that
>> the memory sticks have to be installed in matched pairs. So, yes, by all
>> means,
>> pull a pair of 64s and install a pair of 256s for a total of 640MB. Make
>> sure
>> you get the right speed grade. There are 4 speed grades: PC600, PC711,
>> PC800,
>> and PC1066. The latter came along at the tail end of the very short
>> RAMBUS-personal computer era, and it is often incompatible with older
>> motherboards.
>>
>> Check the speed grade on the 64s in the system now, and get the same or
>> faster.
>> In other words, if you have PC600 now (unlikely in a Dell), you can
>> install any
>> one of PC600, PC711 or PC800 speed grades. If you have PC711, then
>> either PC711
>> or PC800 will do. Doing it this way will keep you out of trouble.
>>
>> One last thing: RAMBUS memory is pretty expensive again. Very little new
>> RAMBUS
>> is manufactured, and you may end up having to get used memory from a
>> known
>> reliable source. www.crucial.com does not sell RAMBUS because Micron
>> (owner of
>> Crucial) never paid the extortion royalties to the RAMBUS company to make
>> the
>> stuff... Ben Myers
>>
>> On Tue, 14 Dec 2004 23:30:07 -0500, "Sideshow Bob"
>> <mergatroid@_nospam_.bigfoot.com> wrote:
>>
>>>I have a friend with a Dell Dimension 8100. I recently upgraded it from
>>>Windows Me to XP Pro. All has gone well except for RAM memory allocation.
>>>256 MB (4x64) was probably fine for Me but is barely adequate for XP. It
>>>pages to the hard drive a lot and occasionally gives a prompt saying it's
>>>temporarily increasing the page file, so obviously a memory upgrade is
>>>needed. This is my first experience with RDRAM memory and I'm unsure
>>>about
>>>what I need to go from 256 to at least 512. Apparently RDRAM memory has
>>>be done in pair sets. Can I keep 2 of the 64 modules and replace the
>>>other 2
>>>with 256s for a total of 640 MB, or does it have to be 4x128? Any
>>>guidance
>>>definitely appreciated. Thanks in advance.

jeff

De Ben Myers :

>One last thing: RAMBUS memory is pretty expensive again.

FWIW, I recently purchased 2 x 256 Mb RDRAM from
http://www.4allmemory.com/ for $ 213.00 (plus various taxes as I'm from
France)

--
Jeff
mail:jf.pierret at wanadoo.fr

Not completely nuts. Pull the pair of CRIMMs and install a pair of 128MB
PC800's for 512MB. Or go for a pair of 256s for a total of 768MB.

The CRIMMs show up the wierdness of the RAMBUS approach. Continuity RIMMs are
needed to close some circuits in RIMM sockets not populated with real honest to
gosh memory... Ben Myers

On Wed, 15 Dec 2004 01:16:21 -0500, "Sideshow Bob"
<mergatroid@_nospam_.bigfoot.com> wrote:

>Yes, PC800, I neglected to mention that. I've also since found out that 2 of
>what I thought were RAM modules may actually be blanks or CRIMMs. So it
>actually could be 2x128. Ahhh, this is nuts. Anyway, I appreciate the
>

>"Tom Scales" <tomtoo@softhome.net> wrote in message
>> The 8100 has four slots for memory, so leave the 2x64 and ADD 2x256 for a
>> total of 640.
>>
>> PC800 2.5CL if I remember. Definately PC800.
>>
>> Tom
>> <ben_myers_spam_me_not @ charter.net (Ben Myers)> wrote in message
>>> RDRAM is like the old 72-pin SIMMs in Pentium class computers. The rule
>>> is that
>>> the memory sticks have to be installed in matched pairs. So, yes, by all
>>> means,
>>> pull a pair of 64s and install a pair of 256s for a total of 640MB. Make
>>> sure
>>> you get the right speed grade. There are 4 speed grades: PC600, PC711,
>>> PC800,
>>> and PC1066. The latter came along at the tail end of the very short
>>> RAMBUS-personal computer era, and it is often incompatible with older
>>> motherboards.
>>>
>>> Check the speed grade on the 64s in the system now, and get the same or
>>> faster.
>>> In other words, if you have PC600 now (unlikely in a Dell), you can
>>> install any
>>> one of PC600, PC711 or PC800 speed grades. If you have PC711, then
>>> either PC711
>>> or PC800 will do. Doing it this way will keep you out of trouble.
>>>
>>> One last thing: RAMBUS memory is pretty expensive again. Very little new
>>> RAMBUS
>>> is manufactured, and you may end up having to get used memory from a
>>> known
>>> reliable source. www.crucial.com does not sell RAMBUS because Micron
>>> (owner of
>>> Crucial) never paid the extortion royalties to the RAMBUS company to make
>>> the
>>> stuff... Ben Myers

Sounds about right. 128MB for somewhere around $US 50 retail, just about double
the price of DDR of comparable capacity. RAMBUS prices always were high, about
twice the price of SDRAM, the RAMBUS competitor at the time. About a year ago,
RAMBUS prices dropped for a few months, as people replaced RAMBUS systems and
glutted the market with used memory. Now the prices are back up again due to
only tiny amounts of new memory being produced and less used memory re-entering
the market... Ben Myers

On Wed, 15 Dec 2004 10:04:51 +0100, Jeff <jf.pierret@online.fr.007> wrote:

>De Ben Myers :
>
>>One last thing: RAMBUS memory is pretty expensive again.
>
>FWIW, I recently purchased 2 x 256 Mb RDRAM from
>http://www.4allmemory.com/ for $ 213.00 (plus various taxes as I'm from
>France)
>
>--
>Jeff
>mail:jf.pierret at wanadoo.fr

I'm curious about something that was raised here. Say you have your 2x64 in
DIMM slots 1 and 2 and then you add 2x256. Would you be better off to
remove the 2x64 from 1 and 2 and replace them with the 2x256 and then add
the 2x64 to DIMM slots 3 and 4, or can you just add the 2x256 to slots 3 and
4? I ask because my Gateway G400, the biggest memory chips went in the
lowest numbered bank and then you worked your way down to the smallest
memory, so my three banks were loaded with a 256, a 128 and then finally a
64.

Ron

> The 8100 has four slots for memory, so leave the 2x64 and ADD 2x256 for a
total of 640.

> PC800 2.5CL if I remember. Definately PC800.
>
> Tom
> <ben_myers_spam_me_not @ charter.net (Ben Myers)> wrote in message
> > RDRAM is like the old 72-pin SIMMs in Pentium class computers. The rule
is that
> > the memory sticks have to be installed in matched pairs. So, yes, by
all means,
> > pull a pair of 64s and install a pair of 256s for a total of 640MB.
Make sure
> > you get the right speed grade. There are 4 speed grades: PC600, PC711,
PC800,
> > and PC1066. The latter came along at the tail end of the very short
> > RAMBUS-personal computer era, and it is often incompatible with older
motherboards.

> > Check the speed grade on the 64s in the system now, and get the same or
faster.
> > In other words, if you have PC600 now (unlikely in a Dell), you can
install any
> > one of PC600, PC711 or PC800 speed grades. If you have PC711, then
either
> > PC711 or PC800 will do. Doing it this way will keep you out of trouble.
> >
> > One last thing: RAMBUS memory is pretty expensive again. Very little
new
> > RAMBUS is manufactured, and you may end up having to get used memory
from a known
> > reliable source. www.crucial.com does not sell RAMBUS because Micron
(owner of
> > Crucial) never paid the extortion royalties to the RAMBUS company to
make the
> > stuff... Ben Myers

With RAMBUS memory, it really does not matter which pair of memory sticks is
placed in which pair of RIMM sockets... Ben Myers

On Wed, 15 Dec 2004 21:04:23 -0500, "Chopperdad" <scotty@bellsouth.net> wrote:

>I'm curious about something that was raised here. Say you have your 2x64 in
>DIMM slots 1 and 2 and then you add 2x256. Would you be better off to
>remove the 2x64 from 1 and 2 and replace them with the 2x256 and then add
>the 2x64 to DIMM slots 3 and 4, or can you just add the 2x256 to slots 3 and
>4? I ask because my Gateway G400, the biggest memory chips went in the
>lowest numbered bank and then you worked your way down to the smallest
>memory, so my three banks were loaded with a 256, a 128 and then finally a
>64.
>
>Ron
>
>"Tom Scales" <tomtoo@softhome.net> wrote in message
>> The 8100 has four slots for memory, so leave the 2x64 and ADD 2x256 for a
>total of 640.
>>
>> PC800 2.5CL if I remember. Definately PC800.
>>
>> Tom
>> <ben_myers_spam_me_not @ charter.net (Ben Myers)> wrote in message
>> > RDRAM is like the old 72-pin SIMMs in Pentium class computers. The rule
>is that
>> > the memory sticks have to be installed in matched pairs. So, yes, by
>all means,
>> > pull a pair of 64s and install a pair of 256s for a total of 640MB.
>Make sure
>> > you get the right speed grade. There are 4 speed grades: PC600, PC711,
>PC800,
>> > and PC1066. The latter came along at the tail end of the very short
>> > RAMBUS-personal computer era, and it is often incompatible with older
>motherboards.
>> >
>> > Check the speed grade on the 64s in the system now, and get the same or
>faster.
>> > In other words, if you have PC600 now (unlikely in a Dell), you can
>install any
>> > one of PC600, PC711 or PC800 speed grades. If you have PC711, then
>either
>> > PC711 or PC800 will do. Doing it this way will keep you out of trouble.
>> >
>> > One last thing: RAMBUS memory is pretty expensive again. Very little
>new
>> > RAMBUS is manufactured, and you may end up having to get used memory
>from a known
>> > reliable source. www.crucial.com does not sell RAMBUS because Micron
>(owner of
>> > Crucial) never paid the extortion royalties to the RAMBUS company to
>make the
>> > stuff... Ben Myers

That means I went to more trouble by doing what I did. I had the factory
installed 512 Mb DDR SDRAM in DIMM Slots 1 and 2 on my Dimension 8300, and
when I upgraded with an additional 1 Gb (2x512), I moved the 2x256 Mb DDR
from DIMM 1 & 2 and put them in DIMM 3 & 4. I could have just installed the
2x512 in DIMM 3 & 4 and be done with it. Oh well, it still sees 1.5 Gb now
but I didn't have to do all the extra work to do it. Oh BTW, the new memory
is from Crucial.

Ron

> With RAMBUS memory, it really does not matter which pair of memory sticks
is
> placed in which pair of RIMM sockets... Ben Myers
>
> On Wed, 15 Dec 2004 21:04:23 -0500, "Chopperdad" <scotty@bellsouth.net>
wrote:

> >I'm curious about something that was raised here. Say you have your 2x64
in
> >DIMM slots 1 and 2 and then you add 2x256. Would you be better off to
> >remove the 2x64 from 1 and 2 and replace them with the 2x256 and then add
> >the 2x64 to DIMM slots 3 and 4, or can you just add the 2x256 to slots 3
and
> >4? I ask because my Gateway G400, the biggest memory chips went in the
> >lowest numbered bank and then you worked your way down to the smallest
> >memory, so my three banks were loaded with a 256, a 128 and then finally
> >64.
> >
> >Ron

Not to worry. As long as the computer works reliably, it must be right.

.... Ben Myers

On Thu, 16 Dec 2004 21:50:56 -0500, "Chopperdad" <scotty@bellsouth.net> wrote:

>That means I went to more trouble by doing what I did. I had the factory
>installed 512 Mb DDR SDRAM in DIMM Slots 1 and 2 on my Dimension 8300, and
>when I upgraded with an additional 1 Gb (2x512), I moved the 2x256 Mb DDR
>from DIMM 1 & 2 and put them in DIMM 3 & 4. I could have just installed the
>2x512 in DIMM 3 & 4 and be done with it. Oh well, it still sees 1.5 Gb now
>but I didn't have to do all the extra work to do it. Oh BTW, the new memory
>is from Crucial.
>
>Ron

>> With RAMBUS memory, it really does not matter which pair of memory sticks
>is
>> placed in which pair of RIMM sockets... Ben Myers
>>
>> On Wed, 15 Dec 2004 21:04:23 -0500, "Chopperdad" <scotty@bellsouth.net>
>wrote:
>>
>> >I'm curious about something that was raised here. Say you have your 2x64
>in
>> >DIMM slots 1 and 2 and then you add 2x256. Would you be better off to
>> >remove the 2x64 from 1 and 2 and replace them with the 2x256 and then add
>> >the 2x64 to DIMM slots 3 and 4, or can you just add the 2x256 to slots 3
>and
>> >4? I ask because my Gateway G400, the biggest memory chips went in the
>> >lowest numbered bank and then you worked your way down to the smallest
>> >memory, so my three banks were loaded with a 256, a 128 and then finally
>> >64.
>> >
>> >Ron

> On Thu, 16 Dec 2004 21:50:56 -0500, "Chopperdad" <scotty@bellsouth.net>
> wrote:
>
>>That means I went to more trouble by doing what I did. I had the factory
>>installed 512 Mb DDR SDRAM in DIMM Slots 1 and 2 on my Dimension 8300, and
>>when I upgraded with an additional 1 Gb (2x512), I moved the 2x256 Mb DDR
>>from DIMM 1 & 2 and put them in DIMM 3 & 4. I could have just installed
>>the
>>2x512 in DIMM 3 & 4 and be done with it. Oh well, it still sees 1.5 Gb
>>now
>>but I didn't have to do all the extra work to do it. Oh BTW, the new
>>memory
>>is from Crucial.
>>
>>Ron

On the 8300 the channel slots are staggered alternatively. My understanding
is that mixing
DIMM capacities/speeds across channels may cause the machine to run in
single channel mode.
(*Channel mode can be verified in BIOS under "memory information")

Slot 1 / Channel A: 128mb DDR DIMM (white DIMM clip)
Slot 1 / Channel B: vacant (black DIMM clip) ***add 256mb DIMM

(gap)

Slot 2 / Channel A: 128 mb DDR DIMM (white DIMM clip)
Slot 2 / Channel B: vacant (black DIMM clip) ***add 256mb DIMM

On the 8100 the RAMBUS channels are configured differently. Mixing
capacities/speeds across channels may cause the machine to go no POST
with a RAM LED diag code:

* I've read of 3rd party retail board where this was not the case

Slot 1 / Channel A: 128mb Rambus RIMM
Slot 2 / Channel A: 128mb Rambus RIMM

(gap)

Slot 1/ Channel B: CRIMM / blank ***add 256mb DIMM
Slot 2/ Channel B: CRIMM / blank ***add 256mb DIMM

Stew

That is correct. I don't know about mixing the capacities across the slots,
but I know that if you mix speeds across, the speed will drop down to the
slowest one.

> > On Thu, 16 Dec 2004 21:50:56 -0500, "Chopperdad" <scotty@bellsouth.net>
> > wrote:
> >
> >>That means I went to more trouble by doing what I did. I had the
factory
> >>installed 512 Mb DDR SDRAM in DIMM Slots 1 and 2 on my Dimension 8300,
and
> >>when I upgraded with an additional 1 Gb (2x512), I moved the 2x256 Mb
DDR
> >>from DIMM 1 & 2 and put them in DIMM 3 & 4. I could have just installed
> >>the
> >>2x512 in DIMM 3 & 4 and be done with it. Oh well, it still sees 1.5 Gb
> >>now
> >>but I didn't have to do all the extra work to do it. Oh BTW, the new
> >>memory
> >>is from Crucial.
> >>
> >>Ron
> >>

> On the 8300 the channel slots are staggered alternatively. My
understanding
> is that mixing
> DIMM capacities/speeds across channels may cause the machine to run in
> single channel mode.
> (*Channel mode can be verified in BIOS under "memory information")

True with the Intel 850 chipset. The tradeoff is to spend more money to get
four identical RIMMs which will operate in the fast dual-channel RAMBUS mode or
to upgrade only a pair, slowing down memory accesses. How much of a slowdown?
Not sure. Not earthshaking, but probably discernable.

As with the old days of the Pentium systems with the Triton chipset, more slow
memory (more than 64MB) proved generally better than less memory (up to 64MB)
running at faster fully-cached speeds.

The real question here is how much serious swapfile activity a system has. It
it is thrashing its little brains out swapping programs and data around, ANY
memory upgrade will be some sort of improvement... Ben Myers