GLoria II gond mad

MoonSafari

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
hey everyone,

i was hoping someone might be able to shed some light on a rather unsual crash i had last night involving my Elsa GLoria II graphics card. i was using my computer when it locked up...nothing particularly unusual there. i turned it off and left it for a few hours. when i came back and turned it on it wouldn't boot up. everything powered up and then the motherboard made a long beep followed by 2 short ones. i tried restarting it a bunch of times and nothing was happening. finally something came up on the screen. it was the normal boot screen, but there was an error message flashing. it said "you obviously want an Elsa graphics board, so go buy one!!!". the 'so go buy one!!!' part was in red and blinking. i restarted again and it was gone, back to nothing going on. i took out the graphics card and booted up with another one. everything worked fine. put the Elsa card back in, reinstalled some drivers and everything seems to now be working. any idea what would cause that message?

cheers

thom

Lonemagi

Distinguished
Feb 20, 2002
Sounds like a virus... see if you can get a bios flash for your card. This one is a first.. at least to me. Ive never seen a bios level virus.

Also, do yourself a favor and get a decent virus scanning program when you get it cleared up. Try AVG anivirus @ <A HREF="http://www.grisoft.com" target="_new">http://www.grisoft.com</A>. Its free, and is better than norton and all the other mainstream virus progs. IMHO, that is.

<font color=red>*</font color=red><font color=white>*</font color=white><font color=blue>*</font color=blue>
... And I'm proud to be an American, where at least I know I'm free, and I won't forget the men who died, who gave that right to me.

MoonSafari

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
i didn't think a virus could do that. anyway, i scanned the drives and didn't find anything. i'm considering formatting the machine and upgrading it from 2000 pro to XP pro...just to make sure everything is working properly. plus it's always nice to have a clean machine.

and by the way, if anyone from Elsa sees this, boo on you for your crappy support page!!!