How to upgrade mobile graphic cards..

gottling

Distinguished
Apr 2, 2003
Hi out there!

I have a little diffrent question for you all, I own a Fujitsu Siemens Lifebook E with a 32mb Radeon 7500, but already the games are running away from me... I know that the guys at the hardware teststation in T.H.G have runned benchmark test on diffrent mobile cards with the same laptop.. The question is can I change to a 64mb Radeon 9000 or even better a new 64-128mb Radeon 9600, Are the size off the 7500 and the 9000 the same, and are the port identical on both cards... Please answer with significant information.

With regards / Thomas

By the way, do anybody know where to buy a 9000 card for a laptop?

Lonemagi

Distinguished
Feb 20, 2002
Sorry to break this to you, but the only way to up the graphics is to buy a new system. Laptops with replaceable graphics cards arent in the majority yet, and are probably a bit pricey. I dont know what review you are talking about, but if you look at Fujitsu's website, it shows that there is no port for upgrading the grafx card yet.

If you are having troubles in a lot of games, I have in the past (when I had a geforce 2 mx400) did one thing to affect the performance. Turn off shadows. Now in some games, it may not be possible or wanted, but in games like UT2003, how often do you really have time to look and say, " Gee, those shadows look nice!"?

<font color=red>*</font color=red><font color=white>*</font color=white><font color=blue>*</font color=blue>
... And I'm proud to be an American, where at least I know I'm free, and I won't forget the men who died, who gave that right to me.

redface

Distinguished
Feb 17, 2003
Yeah, I think practically you can't upgrade most part of your laptop excep for harddisk and ram.
If you open your laptop cover, you can see your CPU and VPU are all fixed into the motherboard. They are no AGP or PPGA/Slot A sockets. So really, you can't upgrade them.

A fine day!

DCB_AU

Distinguished
Oct 20, 2002
If you want something that is "relatively" portable- can produce good graphics and can be easily upgraded/repaired, invest in a "Mini PC" with a portable TFT screen(get one built to your specs in a Mini size PC Case).

After been quoted for repairs to a Notebook($2000 for screen replacement) I'll never buy a Notebook again- unless I win LOTTO.

<font color=red>DCB</font color=red><font color=white>_</font color=white><font color=blue>AU</font color=blue>