Best value 2D, 2 monitor card?

bobtrips

Distinguished
Apr 3, 2003
I'm looking for a graphics card for dual monitor, 2D (Photoshop) work. I'm aware of the Matrox G450 which has dual monitor capacity, 16megs. Quite affordable.

I currently need only analogue output, digital capability would be nice for the future.

I don't need 3D/gaming type performance, just the ability to get large 2D files displayed efficiently, monitors treated as separate devices, (and all those things that I don't know about yet).

I'll be building the 'Big' machine in a year or so, need either something for the short run (cheap) or something for the long run (moderately priced).

thanks in advance,

cleeve

Illustrious
From what I've heard, Matrox's are great for 2d Photoshop work.

You might also want to consider Radeon 7500. I've worked on them before and the 2d quality is excellent. They feature 2 excelent RAMDACs, and are cheap like borscht.

But if you find a cheap one, make *sure* it supports dual monitors, and comes with the DVI-to-VGA converter so you don't have to buy it separately.

The default monitor-out setup on a Radeon 7500 is one VGA and one DVI, to save costs some manufacturers offer them without the DVI-to-VGA dongle which you'd need to run on two VGA monitors.

- Cleeve

Stoochie

Distinguished
Aug 14, 2001
borsht is not cheap.

Saphire 9700pro (400gpu/333mem)
Asus A7N8X ND + XP 2700(192fsb x 12 @ 1.775v)
Corsair PC 3500 512 @ 5-3-3-2T :(
Audigy 2, WD-SE 80GIG

icy_oblivion

Distinguished
Aug 30, 2002
I'll second the Radeon 7500. It is an excellent card for 2d. But as mentioned above make sure you get the adapter for the second monitor.

<b>Just because I like AMD or Intel more at a time because of one product compared to another, does not make me a fan boy, it makes me a person who is able to make a descision for myself.</b>

bobtrips

Distinguished
Apr 3, 2003
After reading the first pro-7500 posts I went to New Egg (where I've bought bits and pieces before) and discovered over a dozen 7500s. I couldn't tell if any of them supported dual VGA monitors.

I used Tom's price search and came up with a dual monitor 7500 from Spartan Tech. I emailed them to see if their #ATIRAD750064A ($58)would do the job. After 48 hours of not hearing from their sales staff I'm loosing confidence in them as a company.

Can anyone help me break the secrete code? What do I look for in the specs that will indicate dual VGA?

Remind me what a dingle/dongle/doogle is and tell me what they cost, where to get one, what to order if I have to take a dual monitor VGA/digital card and modify it. (I'm pretty sure that I can't make one on my table saw.)

Thanks greatly,

bobtrips

Distinguished
Apr 3, 2003
Sorry stoochie, I don't have the background to follow you.

How can I find out how much better the Saphire, Asus and Audigy might be than the 7500? How different is the price?

(I assume you don't care for the Corsair.)

See my recent note concerning my problem telling one 7500 from another. On New Egg they've got them from <$50 to almost $200.

I'm swimming up a very fast stream here. All tows appreciated.