Sign in with
Your question

Does ATI 8500DV support 3 devices?

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
April 4, 2003 1:35:03 PM

I am interested in ATI's 8500DV card.

I have a dual setup, so I'd like to be able to use the Main Monitor out, the Secondary Monitor out (with a splitter to power a video projector), and also the S-video out with a splitter/amplifier to power a TV, all at the same time.

My question is: Can the S-video out be used if *both* the primary/secondary monitor outs are in use (can all three outs be used at the same time)? ATI's site is a little fuzzy on the topic. I've heard you can't do that.

From the ATI site:

Quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Q8: Can the ALL-IN-WONDER® RADEON™ 8500DV graphics card support more than one display at the same time?

A8: Yes. ALL-IN-WONDER® RADEON™ 8500DV allows a number of possible display configurations. The DVI-I connector can be used to drive a DVI display, VGA monitor or YPrPb display. At the same time, the video output can drive a television or VCR.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Does this mean it will work?

Thanks!
April 5, 2003 4:28:51 AM

I read on ATI's site (too lazy to refind the link for you :p ) that you can't use all 3 video connectors at the same time. You can only use 2. This information was for the Radeon 9X00 series however, but it shouldn't any different for the 8500DV.
a b U Graphics card
April 5, 2003 4:54:35 AM

Invalid question, none of the AIW cards have a second monitor output to the best of my knowledge. You can use a splitter (video Y-cable) to split the signal to your current monitor and your projector as long as you pick a resolution and refresh rate supported by both devices for that output. Then you can use the S-Video output as well.

<font color=blue>Watts mean squat if you don't have quality!</font color=blue>
Related resources
April 5, 2003 2:59:25 PM

What a bummer. So the best I could do would be to go with two ATI cards: One to run the primary, the second to run the projector/secondary monitor, and S-Vid out?

Does anyone know if in that setup, that the S-Video out would display what the secondary monitor is displaying?

Thanks!
a b U Graphics card
April 5, 2003 6:58:18 PM

You can set all three to display the same thing. But like I said, you could do it with one card, with a Y-cable to the monitor and projector. Just set the display to a setting both can do.

<font color=blue>Watts mean squat if you don't have quality!</font color=blue>
!