Official VEKN Nosferatu Newsletter for May, 2005

Official VEKN Nosferatu Newsletter for May, 2005.

Woot! It is the exciting Nosferatu Newsletter #50! Crazy stuff. I mean,
like, yeah, they aren't all gold or anything, but getting to number 50 has
to count for something.

So we recently got a really cool new expansion, Kindred Most Wanted, that
contained a few excellent new Nosferatu vampires, and a handful of new cards
for the Nosferatu's basic disciplines that I figure I'll examine, hopefully
to inspire some cool ideas out there somewhere.

-Rabbat, The Sewer Goddess (7) OBF, FOR, ANI, pot. Independent. Red List.
Group 4. Rabbat may send a vampire to torpor or burn an ally as a strike. If
she hunts, you may move 1 of the blood she gains to your pool. She cannot
take (D) actions or block actions that are not directed at her or at a card
on her. **** (of 5)

Rabbat is pretty fantastic, and clearly a vampire to build a deck around.
She has a very solid discipline spread: OBF to keep her from getting
blocked, FOR to protect herself and Freak Drive, ANI for general defense,
and pot just for backup. She can send a vampire to torpor as a strike, which
is quite potent, reasonable disincentive to take advantage of her Red List
status. When she hunts, you can take one of the blood gained into your pool,
which is huge, considering her built in FOR--clearly, trick number one to
take advantage of with Rabbat is to load as many Freak Drives into her deck
as you can. As hunting isn't restricted to once per turn, whenever you have
too many Freak Drives in your hand (or need a pool boost), hunt over and
over again, gaining a pool each time. She can't take (D) actions or block
much, which restricts her to mostly political actions as an offense
(luckily, she has OBF/ANI, so she can utilize Animal Magnetism to help get
votes through), and she probably needs some kind of back up for general pool
defense, but as the core of some sort of multi action Political deck, she is
probably pretty solid. I'll see what I can cook up in the future.

-Black Annis (9) POT, OBF, pro, ani. Sabbat. Group 4. Black Annis can enter
combat with any minion controlled by your predator or prey as a (D) action.
Other non-hunt actions cost her an additional blood. +1 strength. +1
stealth. ***

Another vampire that is pretty solid to build a deck around--in this case,
some kind of multi rush deck. She has +1 strength and POT for significant
killing power and pro for defense (Flesh of Marble) and aggro damage (so she
can Grapple you and hit you for 7 points of aggrivated damage, which
everyone always loves). She comes with a built in, +1 stealth rush action
which is fantastic, but if she wants to make other rush actions, they'll
cost her an extra blood--just be sure to use a lot of Taste of Vitae,
especially as her most likely way to untap for multiple rush actions is
going to be inferior Dual Form (which will cost her 3 blood per turn).
Probably a little harder to make pay off than, say, Beast, but her built in
protean might make all the difference.

We also got Echo, who is another pretty solid mid cap vampire, but I looked
at her in issue 48.

In terms of Library cards, the Nosferatu's basic disciplines got:

-Pack Alpha. A vampire may only play one pack alpha each round. (ani):
Employ an animal retainer from your hand before range is determined. Pay
cost as normal. (ANI): Burn an animal retainer employed by this vampire and
put this card on the vampire. The minion with this card gets +1 strength. A
minion may have only 1 pack alpha.

A pretty interesting card for a deck that wants to use a lot of retainers.
The inferior saves you an action to equip, and the superior lets you cycle
extra retainers for bonus hand damage--decks that, say, use a lot of Raven
Spies to get them early and often can probably get a lot of mileage out of
this card as it is highly cycleable. Once you can block someone, you can
stack on more Spies, and when you have enough of them, you can stack an
extra and burn it off for permanent +1 hand damage, making the Raven Spies
and the Pack Alphas very fluid in your deck. Granted, in a lot of
situations, especially in a deck that wants to block a lot (and has good
combat potential, so folks won't want to block your recruit actions), you
might be better off with just Forced Awakenings instead (so you can recruit
and then Forced to block instead of not recruiting, blocking, and then
playing Pack Alpha for the retainer), but in the right deck, this card could
potentially be very handy.

-Confusion of the Eye. (obf): Reduce a younger vampire's or an ally's bleed
against you by 1. (OBF): Only usable during a referendum before votes are
cast. Not usable on a referendum that is automatically passing. If the
referendum requires a titled vampire, the referendum fails. Otherwise, the
referendum continues, but the acting vampire cannot cast any votes in this
referendum.

This is potentially a *very* strong card, especially in a high political
action metagame. The inferior ability isn't huge in and of itself, but
allows the card to be mainlined into any OBF heavy, large vampire deck for
the superior version, yet still be very cycleable if you sit with a non
political predator (as you are pretty much always going to be able to play a
card to reduce a bleed, as long as you are a pretty large vampire). The
superior version of the card is huge, in terms of political defense--it
automatically cancels some of the most brutal votes in the game (Protect
Thine Own and Parity Shift), and even against a non title requiring vote, it
will likely cause that vote to fail, as unless the Methuselah has
significant table votes on other vampires, the inability of the acting
vampire to vote means no Bewitching Oration, Awe, or Iron Glare to help push
the vote through. This card will, more than anything, give the Nosferatu
(well, anyone with OBF, really) very powerful vote defense that will likely
often have a huge impact on the game. And again, unlike most other powerful
anti-vote technology, Confusion of the Eye is very cycleable if you don't
need the vote defense. A strong card I expect to see a lot of in competitive
play.

-Earthshock. 1 Blood. (pot): Strike: strength ranged damage. This strike
cannot be dodged. Not usable against a minion with flight. (POT) as above,
but for strength +1 ranged damage.

A reasonably useful card for Potence combat decks. A lot of potence, close
range, Immortal Grapple based combat decks (like the Nosferatu like often
like to live in...) like to include a small handful of, like, Thrown Sewer
Lids or Stunt Bikes instead of maneuvers to punish folks who have guns or
light maneuver based defense. Earthshock is a really good card to replace
the Lids or Bikes as it allows you to utilize the extra strength from the
ubiquitous Torn Signposts in such decks, *and* you can use it at close range
in a pinch (unlike the Lids and Bikes). That it can't be dodged is pure (yet
significant) gravy, as the rise of CEL based gun decks means that Earthshock
will hinder and possibly trump the long range dodge/additional strike with
the Assault Rifle action that seems to be so popular these days. In a deck
that relies on being at long range, the Lids and Bikes are probably still
better, due to the blood cost on Earthshock and the need for back up
strength increasers, but as a side angle in an otherwise close range, IG
based strategy, this card is pretty solid. Yeah, you can't Earthshock
Gargoyles, but, ya know, that probably won't come up that much.

Well, that is Nosferatu Newsletter #50. Stay tuned for more exciting, hot
Nosferatu on Nosferatu action in the future. If you want to look at all the
old Nosferatu Newsletters on the web, go visit:

http://www.lightlink.com/pdb6/vtes.html

Peter D Bakija
pdb6@lightlink.com
http://www.lightlink.com/pdb6

"So in conclusion, our business plan is to sell hot,
easily spilled liquids to naked people."
-Brittni Meil

carl wrote:
> "Peter D Bakija" <pdb6@lightlink.com> wrote
> > Rabbat is pretty fantastic, and clearly a vampire to build a deck
around.

> Bit limited for kind of attention isn't she.
> Cant bleed. Cant block bleeds.
> good as a 7pt blood doll but thats about it.
>
> Local rule says cant join in as hidden lurker, or play errand girl to
do
> arson or skirmish and cant diabilerise other meths.
>
> Her bestest ability is to really annoy you pred/prey into trying to
attack
> her.

How can she not play Hidden Lurker?

carl wrote:
> "Peter D Bakija" <pdb6@lightlink.com> wrote
> > Rabbat is pretty fantastic, and clearly a vampire to build a deck
around.

> Bit limited for kind of attention isn't she.
> Cant bleed. Cant block bleeds.
> good as a 7pt blood doll but thats about it.

I've had fun with her. Used her in a 3 cap crypt machine deck with
Hidden Lurkers. If they want to block your bleed, Rabbat can make them
pay. Drawing Out the Beast is great here, since they won't be striking
due to Hidden Lurker you don't care that they now have +1 hand damage
and they can't manuever to long to get out of the way.

> Local rule says cant join in as hidden lurker, or play errand girl to
do
> arson or skirmish and cant diabilerise other meths.

You shouldn't consider local rules when evaluating a vampire. You
should rate it based on how it is played according to the tournament
rules.

What do you mean about errand girl? That Rabbat can't take over with
Mask of 1k Faces?

You can still diablerize (or rescue) your own vampires with her.

> Her bestest ability is to really annoy you pred/prey into trying to
attack
> her.

I find that adding the ability to strike send to torpor really adds
something to crypt machine. The ability to hunt for pool is nice too.

Later,
~Rehlow

Arden McBathan wrote:

> How can she not play Hidden Lurker?

Made up house rule, apparently. Ignore that.

Peter D Bakija wrote:
> When [Rabbat] hunts, you can take one of the blood gained into your
pool,
> which is huge, considering her built in FOR--clearly, trick number
one to
> take advantage of with Rabbat is to load as many Freak Drives into
her deck
> as you can. As hunting isn't restricted to once per turn, whenever
you have
> too many Freak Drives in your hand (or need a pool boost), hunt over
and
> over again, gaining a pool each time.

I have witnessed that this is an incredibly powerful ability. If you
own several dozen Freak Drives, try a deck with all of them, Rabbat,
and either Out of the Frying Pan/Hungry Coyote or Aaron's Feeding
Razor. Unless someone with +1 intercept feels like trying their luck in
combat with Rabbat, you can scoop up one pool for every FD you have or
cycle into you hand each turn. As Peter says, huge.

Emmit wrote:
>Unless someone with +1 intercept feels like trying their luck in
>combat with Rabbat, you can scoop up one pool for every FD you have or

>cycle into you hand each turn. As Peter says, huge.

I mean, like, yeah, it requires a little bit of infrastructure to set
up (equip with the Razor or go Sabbat and get out Hungry Coyote, or for
slightly less effect, get out Inbase, or go Anarch which might be a
good idea anyway and get out Hospital Food and/or Free Press), but once
set up, the potential to gain absurd amounts of pool is there. Each
Freak becomes "Gain 1 Pool and untap to do it again", and Rabbat has
the OBF and or combat abilities to make stopping her a difficult and
unattractive propposition.

-Peter

Carl

carl wrote:

> Bit limited for kind of attention isn't she.
> Cant bleed. Cant block bleeds.
> good as a 7pt blood doll but thats about it.

As mentioned, she can call votes, is difficult to mess up, people often
don't want to block her, and can generate a lot of pool with Freak Drive
(even more with Aaron's Feeding Razor).She isn't incredibly generally
useful, but in a specialized deck, she seems likely to be pretty solid.

> Local rule says cant join in as hidden lurker, or play errand girl to do
> arson or skirmish and cant diabilerise other meths.

Not super relevant to the discussion.

Jeroen wrote:
>People, people! Let's not forget Perfectionist. Rabbat just screams
Perfectionist.

Ooh! Even better! Awsome!

-Peter

Carl

"Peter D Bakija" <pdb6@lightlink.com> wrote in message
> carl wrote:
>
> > Bit limited for kind of attention isn't she.
> > Cant bleed. Cant block bleeds.
> > good as a 7pt blood doll but thats about it.
>
> As mentioned, she can call votes, is difficult to mess up, people often
> don't want to block her, and can generate a lot of pool with Freak Drive
> (even more with Aaron's Feeding Razor).She isn't incredibly generally
> useful, but in a specialized deck, she seems likely to be pretty solid.
>
> > Local rule says cant join in as hidden lurker, or play errand girl to do
> > arson or skirmish and cant diabilerise other meths.
>
> Not super relevant to the discussion.

She can't take (D) actions or block (D) actions unless directed at her or
the cards on her. (from memory)

So can't block a bleed etc.
Hidden lurker appears to be an action that directs vamp to take an "action"
another meths vamp (hence Directed)

Can't remove pentex's, do arsons, all those other "others vamps may take a
(D) action to ..." things unless it is obvious to the whole table that the
"(D) action" is undirected. (eg vote off archon cards which she has no vote
either)

A few Amarath cards liven her up a bit though.

carl wrote:
> Hidden lurker appears to be an action that directs vamp to take an "action"
> another meths vamp (hence Directed)

Hidden Lurker is not an action.
It is an action modifier.
Rabbat can play it.

http://www.white-wolf.com/vtes/

carl wrote:

> She can't take (D) actions or block (D) actions unless directed at her or
> the cards on her. (from memory)

Correct.

> So can't block a bleed etc.
> Hidden lurker appears to be an action that directs vamp to take an "action"
> another meths vamp (hence Directed)

Hidden Lurker is not an action. The Jyhad version is an action, but it has
since been reprinted as an action modifier (has been for years and years).

> Can't remove pentex's, do arsons, all those other "others vamps may take a
> (D) action to ..." things unless it is obvious to the whole table that the
> "(D) action" is undirected. (eg vote off archon cards which she has no vote
> either)

Correct.

> A few Amarath cards liven her up a bit though.

Sure. Especially if she can survive the blood hunt. But she can become an
Anarch, become a Baron, call votes, back up those votes with Animal
Magmetism. She can hunt, Freak, hunt again, Freak, hunt again to gain you
pool. She can do so with Aaron's Feeding Razor (or Hospital Food if she is
an anarch, or some other such tech) to break even while gaining you pool.
She is all sorts of cool. Will she go in most decks? Probably not. But she
is good by herself in the right deck.

"carl" <mist42nz@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> Hidden lurker appears to be an action that directs vamp to take an
"action"
> another meths vamp (hence Directed)

Sorry an Action-Modifier to an Action that she can't do.

carl wrote:
> Sorry an Action-Modifier to an Action that she can't do.

"she can't do" isn't relevant to Hidden Lurker.

http://www.white-wolf.com/vtes/

Peter D Bakija a écrit :
> carl wrote:
>

>>Bit limited for kind of attention isn't she.
>>Cant bleed. Cant block bleeds.
>>good as a 7pt blood doll but thats about it.
>

> As mentioned, she can call votes, is difficult to mess up, people often
> don't want to block her, and can generate a lot of pool with Freak Drive
> (even more with Aaron's Feeding Razor).She isn't incredibly generally
> useful, but in a specialized deck, she seems likely to be pretty solid.

free states rant /animal magnetism anyone ?? ;)

p...@lightlink.com wrote:
> Jeroen wrote:
> >People, people! Let's not forget Perfectionist. Rabbat just screams
> Perfectionist.
>
> Ooh! Even better! Awsome!

It only pays for one FD a round, but sure, why not?

<pdb6@lightlink.com> schreef in bericht
> Emmit wrote:
>>Unless someone with +1 intercept feels like trying their luck in
>>combat with Rabbat, you can scoop up one pool for every FD you have or
>
>>cycle into you hand each turn. As Peter says, huge.
>
> I mean, like, yeah, it requires a little bit of infrastructure to set
> up (equip with the Razor or go Sabbat and get out Hungry Coyote, or for
> slightly less effect, get out Inbase, or go Anarch which might be a
> good idea anyway and get out Hospital Food and/or Free Press), but once
> set up, the potential to gain absurd amounts of pool is there. Each
> Freak becomes "Gain 1 Pool and untap to do it again", and Rabbat has
> the OBF and or combat abilities to make stopping her a difficult and
> unattractive propposition.

People, people! Let's not forget Perfectionist. Rabbat just screams
Perfectionist.

> A reasonably useful card for Potence combat decks. A lot of potence,
close
> range, Immortal Grapple based combat decks (like the Nosferatu like
often
> like to live in...) like to include a small handful of, like, Thrown
Sewer
> Lids or Stunt Bikes instead of maneuvers to punish folks who have
guns or
> light maneuver based defense....

I'm a major advocate of using both maneuvers and Lids/Cycles in potence
based combat decks. The deck I played that did it to the greatest
effect was built around Beast, other vamps with POT cel and +1
strength, and pot weenies. I played a lot of Flash and the odd
Swllowed by the Night. It worked out really well because I could use
both the maneuvers and the ranged strikes regardless of what kind of
combat I was up against. If my opponent wanted to go long, I could
either flash back to short and do what Beast does best or let them go
long and toss something heavy. If noone was making an issue of going
long I could use the flashes to get there myself and then use the Lids.
Most rush decks get incidental maneuvers off Bum's Rush/Ambush
already, and I find that more of a good thing is often better, since
you can overload whatever defense mechanisms your opponents are using.
Of course, Flash is also awesome in that it doubles as a press, so it's
very easy to use in just about any combat deck. I even included
Growing Furies since I had so many presses kicking around.

So I guess what I'm saying is that I don't see the utility of Earth
Shock at close as all that grand (ie, not worth a blood cost), given
what turned out to be quite a viable play style. Sacrament of Carnage
didn't see much play either, and for the same reason (I'll give you
that Earth Shock beats SoC though). The un-dodge-ability is cool, but
Lid and Cycle come with cool bonuses too, they do more damage
(typically), and they're free. What you're really paying for with ES
is the ability to use the card at short, which I just don't go for.
I'll stick with Sewer Lids.

Cthulukitty, who loves combat and old cards--and old combat cards.

CthuluKitty wrote:

> So I guess what I'm saying is that I don't see the utility of Earth
> Shock at close as all that grand (ie, not worth a blood cost), given
> what turned out to be quite a viable play style.

The point here is that one of the most viable combat deck types is weenie
mono Potence (or weenie Potence with a bit of cel or obf for back up). These
decks are often very focused on close range combat (due to Immortal Grapple
being the best way to ensure that combat will actually work). These decks
can either put in a bunch of manuvers, which dilutes the rest of the combat,
or put in some fringe ranged strikes, which when they are Lids are sometimes
unplayable, or just ignore the whole thing and hope your opponent doesn't
have manuvers (which isn't that unlikely, really).

All of these have benefits to them. With the rise of gun decks (due to
concealed becoming disciplineless and increases in the understanding of
Assault Rifle Multi Rush technology), it has become less and less possible
to either compete without any manuvers or pack enough manuvers to really
fight someone with a gun *and* a bunch of manuvers (as opposed to just a
bunch of manuvers). So the reasonable plan for what is mostly a close range
IG based Potence deck is to include a handfull of ranged strikes (like Sewer
Lids). Given this, Earth Shock is probably a better option than the Lids
'cause:

A) Earth Shock benefits from the Torn Signpost you already played before
manuvers.

B) Earth Shock can, in a pinch, get played at close range (assuming you
didn't IG someone).

C) Earth Shock foils a dodge, which is a common element in a gun deck
(Acrobatics or just Dodge/Additional).

The blood cost is unlikely to be much of an issue, as it is a fringe element
of the deck.

Again, for a deck that is planning on being at range anyway (like a Flung
Junk deck), Lids and Bikes are still better due to efficiency and 'cause
Flung Junk decks don't generally increase the strength of minions. But as
close range IG decks go, you are probably going to do quite well by swapping
in Earth Shocks for manuvers on a one for one basis (making mono Potence a
tad more viable, as you are probably better with Earth Shocks than you are
Fake Outs).

Peter D Bakija wrote:
> Official VEKN Nosferatu Newsletter for May, 2005.
>
> Woot! It is the exciting Nosferatu Newsletter #50! Crazy stuff. I
mean,
> like, yeah, they aren't all gold or anything, but getting to number
50 has
> to count for something.

Applause.

Carl

"Peter D Bakija" <pdb6@lightlink.com> wrote
> Hidden Lurker is not an action. The Jyhad version is an action, but it has
> since been reprinted as an action modifier (has been for years and years).

No wonder sometimes that was confusing. I was sure it was action until I
"vamp"ed it.

> Magmetism. She can hunt, Freak, hunt again, Freak, hunt again to gain you
> pool. She can do so with Aaron's Feeding Razor (or Hospital Food if she is
<snip>
> She is all sorts of cool.

That I don't dispute. Especially in a deck that already has a few freaks or
is
a little light on pool recovery. With weak bleed/block and attack/vote
skills
it seems an odd vamp to base a deck around. found her useful against
Disarms,
etc as well.

Carl

"LSJ" <vtesrepSPAM@TRAPwhite-wolf.com> wrote
> carl wrote:
> > Sorry an Action-Modifier to an Action that she can't do.
>
> "she can't do" isn't relevant to Hidden Lurker.

Is that the same for all those "can't do texts" if something
comes along that lets them join in or if something is an effect of another
card its ok?

Not some much after a ruling but more a guideline.

Folks like Beast getting gear from Al Army, or receiving items etc from
diablerie actions.
It's not equiping Action but it is gaining equipment which is somewhat out
of character in this example.
That's where I'm coming from on this.

"carl" <mist42nz@hotmail.com> schreef in bericht

> "LSJ" <vtesrepSPAM@TRAPwhite-wolf.com> wrote
>> carl wrote:
>> > Sorry an Action-Modifier to an Action that she can't do.
>>
>> "she can't do" isn't relevant to Hidden Lurker.
>
> Is that the same for all those "can't do texts" if something
> comes along that lets them join in or if something is an effect of another
> card its ok?
>
> Not some much after a ruling but more a guideline.
>
> Folks like Beast getting gear from Al Army, or receiving items etc from
> diablerie actions.
> It's not equiping Action but it is gaining equipment which is somewhat out
> of character in this example.

According to his card text he can not have or use equipment or retainers.

Jeroen Rombouts a écrit :
> "carl" <mist42nz@hotmail.com> schreef in bericht

>>>"she can't do" isn't relevant to Hidden Lurker.
>>
>>Is that the same for all those "can't do texts" if something
>>comes along that lets them join in or if something is an effect of another
>>card its ok?
>>
>>Not some much after a ruling but more a guideline.
>>
>>Folks like Beast getting gear from Al Army, or receiving items etc from
>>diablerie actions.
>>It's not equiping Action but it is gaining equipment which is somewhat out
>>of character in this example.
>

> According to his card text he can not have or use equipment or retainers.

it seems like Carl has absolutely no understanding of the rules, really. =/

reyda wrote:
> it seems like Carl has absolutely no understanding of the rules, really. =/

And how is making such a conjecture (in a public forum) helping
him (or anyone)?

http://www.white-wolf.com/vtes/