Sign in with
Your question

How to keep wired network card active

Last response: in Windows 7
June 11, 2010 3:02:14 PM

In wndows 7 my Realtek PCle GBE card turns off when disconnected from a network. The software I use is licensed to this card so the license no longer works. How do I keep the network card active when not plugged into a network?
June 11, 2010 11:19:12 PM

You may well be able to do this in Device Manager under the advanced tab , look for something like CAM ( constant awake mode , or similar under the power settings . Alternately , look in Win7's power settings in Control Panel , find you power plan and go into the advanced settings there , under networking ( or similar , don't have a 7 machine to hand at the moment ) and see if adjustments can be made from there .

Ashley
m
l
June 12, 2010 3:01:08 AM

ashleyR said:
You may well be able to do this in Device Manager under the advanced tab , look for something like CAM ( constant awake mode , or similar under the power settings . Alternately , look in Win7's power settings in Control Panel , find you power plan and go into the advanced settings there , under networking ( or similar , don't have a 7 machine to hand at the moment ) and see if adjustments can be made from there .

Ashley

Thanks Ashley

I did make some changes in the power settings and in the advanced tab but did not find anything called CAM earlier... I will take a look and let you know what I find. I know you could make a change in XP that would work, but it has been so long since doing it I can not recall where the change was made.
m
l
Related resources
October 12, 2010 9:48:13 PM

Was this ever resolved? I have the same issue and can not find a good answer
m
l
October 12, 2010 10:02:26 PM

DarthVarner said:
Was this ever resolved? I have the same issue and can not find a good answer

Hi Darth

I never found a solution that would work for me on Win7, I contacted the software tech support people (Siemens NX) and they did not have an answer either... so what I ended up doing for now is I bought a cheap network hub and just plugged it into the computer... there is no internet connection on the other side of the hub but it seems to be enough for the network card to stay active in my computer so I can use my CAD program.

Guy
m
l
October 25, 2010 1:30:13 AM

I did find a solution...I had the license file for the software issued for the wireless network card not the realTEK wired card. On my laptop, the wireless is always on, or perceived to be there, even when the ethernet is not plugged in or connected to a wireless network. It is listed as a different card for the wireless, but because of how my laptop boots (could not find a way in the BIOS to force it to activate the wired card), this fixed my problem as a permanent work-around. It does not answer the original question but works fine without more expense.
m
l
!