[Reminder] Spanish Continental Qualifier 2005 - Martorell ..

This is one of the two Continental Qualifiers that will be held in
Spain this year. Note that both tournaments are mutually exclusive,
i.e., the players who participate in one of them will not be
allowed to participate in the other.

The players willing to participate in any of the two Spanish CQ's
will have to prove their identity by showing their ID cards or
passports to the tournament officials at the event registration
desk.

SPANISH CONTINENTAL QUALIFIER: MARTORELL 2005

Event Date: Saturday, the 14th of May, 2005
Event venue: Ca n'Oliveras
Address: C/Josep Tarradellas, 11 (Martorell - 08760)
(Martorell is a city close to Barcelona)
Event format: constructed
# of rounds: 3+F
Time limit: 2 hrs/round
Registration start: 10:00 am
Event start: 11:00 am

Entry fee: 10 euros

For further information about this event, please, click here:

http://www.vtes.net/novedades/EQ05.asp

....or email me to: damnansvtes(at)ono(dot)com

Note: The other Spanish Continental Qualifier will be held in Madrid,
on the 9th of October, 2005 (the event date is not final yet).

--
Damnans

http://www.almadrava.net/damnans
http://www.vtes.net
More about reminder spanish continental qualifier 2005 martorell

    Damnans wrote:
    > This is one of the two Continental Qualifiers that will be held in
    > Spain this year. Note that both tournaments are mutually exclusive,
    > i.e., the players who participate in one of them will not be
    > allowed to participate in the other.

    Why are they mutually exclusive?

    Comments Welcome,
    Norman S. Brown, Jr
    XZealot
    Archon of the Swamp

    X_Zealot@cox-internet.com wrote:

    > Damnans wrote:
    >
    >>This is one of the two Continental Qualifiers that will be held in
    >>Spain this year. Note that both tournaments are mutually exclusive,
    >>i.e., the players who participate in one of them will not be
    >>allowed to participate in the other.
    >

    > Why are they mutually exclusive?

    So that players just have one opportunity to qualify in Spain
    for the Continental Championships.

    --
    Damnans

    http://www.almadrava.net/damnans
    http://www.vtes.net

    > So that players just have one opportunity to qualify in Spain
    > for the Continental Championships.

    Why is that important? Wouldn't you think that would lower your
    participation. Doesn't that seem counter-intuitive?

    --
    Comments Welcome,
    Norman S. Brown, Jr

    XZealot wrote:
    >>So that players just have one opportunity to qualify in Spain
    >>for the Continental Championships.
    >

    > Why is that important? Wouldn't you think that would lower your
    > participation. Doesn't that seem counter-intuitive?

    Well, so far players have only had one chance to qualify in
    their respective countries for the Continental Championships (except
    for those living in big countries such as the USA, Canada, etc.)

    And I do not think this system would lower our participation, since
    the problem with many Spanish players is that they do not travel to
    other cities to play V:TES (for various reasons).

    Note that the V:TES Community in Spain is very polarized in two of
    the biggest domains in the world (Barcelona and Madrid), so when
    a Continental Qualifier is held in one of these cities, the
    participation of the players living in the other big domain is
    very poor, and viceversa.

    That is why we consider that splitting the Spanish CQ in two
    separate and mutually exclusive events should increase participation,
    since it will allow the two major player communities in Spain
    to have a CQ in their own city.

    --
    Damnans

    http://www.almadrava.net/damnans
    http://www.vtes.net

    The splitting of the spanish qualifier is IMO absolutely
    counterproductive to all what qualifiers and championships try to do.
    They want to bring the VTES community on a larger scale together.
    Traveling and playing with players from different and far away playing
    groups is the core of the qualifier system. You have started a
    splippery slope that could end in every playing group having its own
    exclusive qualifier, not longer playing with others. That would
    increase the participation to the extreme without any benefit for the
    connection of the players. Instead of organising a second event, it
    would be better if the spanish princes would organise the trip to the
    city of the qualifier.

    x5mofr@gmx.de wrote:
    > The splitting of the spanish qualifier is IMO absolutely
    > counterproductive to all what qualifiers and championships try to do.

    We do not know yet :-)

    > They want to bring the VTES community on a larger scale together.

    This happens in the Spanish National Championship, which is a single
    annual event.

    > Traveling and playing with players from different and far away playing
    > groups is the core of the qualifier system.

    This should still happen with 2 Spanish Continental Qualifiers. But
    we will see.

    > You have started a
    > splippery slope that could end in every playing group having its own
    > exclusive qualifier, not longer playing with others.

    This is not likely to happen in Spain (the second country in the world
    with the most V:TES players), since both Madrid and Martorell (Barcelona)
    should draw many players from their surrounding regions.

    > That would
    > increase the participation to the extreme without any benefit for the
    > connection of the players. Instead of organising a second event, it
    > would be better if the spanish princes would organise the trip to the
    > city of the qualifier.

    Those trips will still be organized (except for the players in Madrid
    or Barcelona, of course), since there are more player communities in Spain:
    Valencia, Córdoba, Palma de Mallorca, Logroño, Zaragoza, Sevilla, Bilbao,
    Valladolid, Salamanca, etc.

    --
    Damnans

    http://www.almadrava.net/damnans
    http://www.vtes.net

    Probably you should also mention that organising a qualifier with all
    the people at once (I guess 100+) can be a pain-in-the-ass, especially
    when it comes down to having a location which is big enough.
  8. Archived from groups: rec.games.trading-cards.jyhad (More info?)

    Johannes Walch wrote:

    > Probably you should also mention that organising a qualifier with all
    > the people at once (I guess 100+) can be a pain-in-the-ass, especially
    > when it comes down to having a location which is big enough.

    Urhmm... Yes, probably ;-)

    --
    Damnans

    http://www.almadrava.net/damnans