Sign in with
Your question

9500 Pro or 9600 Pro

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
April 6, 2003 7:10:16 PM

Hey i want to upgrade to a new video card and was think of either the 9500 Pro or 9600 pro. But when i was looking at the 9600 pro (tomshardware search) it looks worse then the 9500 Pro. So which should i go with? or should i wait and save for the 9700 Pro?

Definding AMD with your Stuff.

More about : 9500 pro 9600 pro

April 6, 2003 8:08:30 PM

9500 Pro is much cheaper, and using software mods it can reach 9700 nonPro speeds without better cooling. 9500 Pro is a really great buy...

9700 Pro is a great card, but if you want something better than 9500 Pro go for the 9700 NonPro. The 9700 nonpro has the same everything as the 9700 Pro, just a slower clock speed. With software modding and bios upgrade, you can clock up to a 9700Pro. While with the 9500 Pro, its missing to many other things so that even if you clocked the memory clock up to 9700 Pro, youd still be missing other things, though I dont remember what exactly....

All in all, the 9500 Pro with modding available from 3dchipset.com is a great buy and will last a long time. You can get it for $177 at Newegg.com . For $230 or so you can ge tthe 9700 nonpro, and with a bios from 3dchipset.com you can make it nearly a 9700Pro.... Hope this helps...
April 6, 2003 8:16:04 PM

ok thank you very much.

Related resources
April 6, 2003 8:19:16 PM

is the 9700 non pro ATLANTIS modable?

April 6, 2003 8:57:02 PM

Yes, the Atlantis is able to be modded. Check out 3dchipset.com for the BIOS. The Atlantis is an actual Ati card, built by Ati, so thats the BIOS youd use.
a b U Graphics card
April 7, 2003 12:22:28 AM

Actually the 9700 and 9700pro are NOT always the exact same. Check your memory before trying to crank to 9700pro levels. Some OEM put inferior memory on their boards, which was also the case with some powercolor and sapphire 9500s (pro and non). Just a heads up. Make sure you know what the memory is before you buy, if you can get your hands on the boards first (tough luck if it's an e-tailer).

Personally I'm waiting for the 9600pro, for power and heat issues, I have seen NO REAL benchmarks of a retail board yet, just predictive bechmarks.

- You need a licence to buy a gun, but they'll sell anyone a stamp <i>(or internet account)</i> ! <font color=red>RED</font color=red> <font color=green>GREEN</font color=green> :tongue: GA to SK
April 7, 2003 3:20:21 AM

dont tell people to flash the bios of their cards, if you dont know what yu are talking abouit
a b U Graphics card
April 7, 2003 7:37:34 AM

Phial Re-Read my Freakin' post. I'm not ADVISING people crank them; I'm advising people CHECK their MEMORY first before doing anything major, especially if they are expecting to reach levels that their crappy OEM memory won't let them achieve. Perhaps you should READ before criticizing. If you have questions about the MEMORY differences, then do some MORE RESEARCH and READ once again!

Wanna criticize people for suggesting 'tweaks' then look well above my post, but I doubt they'll be any more receptive to your comments than I was, especially considering your efforts at accuracy.

So, before you write something, especially criticizing someone, be sure YOU know what the #$@% you're talking about!

- You need a licence to buy a gun, but they'll sell anyone a stamp <i>(or internet account)</i> ! <font color=red>RED</font color=red> <font color=green>GREEN</font color=green> :tongue: GA to SK
a b U Graphics card
April 8, 2003 6:24:03 AM

I would love to recommend that everyone flash their 9700 cards, then sell them to me very cheaply if they screw up the flash process :smile:

<font color=blue>Watts mean squat if you don't have quality!</font color=blue>
April 8, 2003 7:06:30 AM

lol, yep

blah.. siggys suck
April 8, 2003 7:07:51 AM

and i wasnt replying to you GreatApe, i was referring the guy who said you can (catch phrase of teh day) "software mod" your 9500pro into a 9700pro.

sorry for the confustion :) 

<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by phial on 04/08/03 03:09 AM.</EM></FONT></P>
a b U Graphics card
April 9, 2003 4:22:46 AM

Ok, Sorry I snapped at you but I TRY (pretty hard I think) to be the voice of reason and warn people about stuff, even when I first mentioned the 9800 softmod from Rage3D, I've always said, research first and be VEWY Quiet, I mean CAREFUL. I also try to be unbiased although for some things there is only one choice. So if someone questions my trying only to help and edjucate I get a little defensive, especially when it questions my knowledge/research (especially since I've spent so much time researching the 9500 and 9600 for my personal purchase [still hope the 9600 preforms well because I would like a cooler running card, requiring less power]). I try never to blow smoke, even my mistake on PCI-X vs EX, was one in which I prefaced with 'the whole thing is confusing thanks to intel's naming..'
I just got a misattribute comment, I think, that if it WAS meant, which I don't know, claims I'm a PR pumper, but I beleive that was directed at someone else despite my name being in the Re: line too. Anywhoo, just gets a little touchy if people question your intentions.

Anywhoo, I went skiing @ Lake Louise Yesterday so now I'm nice and relaxed! Aaaaah! :cool:
Water under the skis, I mean bridge. No Prob.

April 9, 2003 4:02:32 PM

yeah its cool mang

i respondedd to your name afterall =)

my mistake :x

blah.. siggys suck
April 15, 2003 10:34:04 PM

You seem to be the main one, TheGreatGrapeApe, who touched on the 9600pro. What are the predictive benchmarks, besides the ones on this site, saying about the 9600pro vs the 9500pro? Also, do you know the predicted difference in power requirements? I know I want the 9500pro, but I am afraid to get it until seeing something more about the 9600pro. I'm definitely overdue for an upgrade though b/c I'm running a Geforce2 GTS now. Thanks
April 15, 2003 10:52:41 PM

Plain and simple i dont think ATI would releas a card with a higher model name than another card if it didnt perform better.
And the 9600 pro should be an even better overclocker than the 9500 pro.
But depending on pricing, either one could be the one to get.

Long live ATI.
April 16, 2003 2:40:45 AM

Quote:
Plain and simple i dont think ATI would releas a card with a higher model name than another card if it didnt perform better.

Doesn't seem to be the case with the 8500 vs the 9000 PRO.

--
This post is brought to you by Eden, on a Via Eden, in the garden of Eden. :smile:
April 16, 2003 2:44:01 AM

Yeah, man...why do you think that? Every company seems to do it now and then

<-----Insert witty sig line here.
April 16, 2003 2:50:33 AM

The new P4 is kind of an example. Although the 3GHZ speed is lower than 3.06GHZ, it is quite close to be confused, especially if you label 800MTs with it, and the fact it occasionally hiccups behind the 3.06GHZ, then it can be an example, though very vague.

--
This post is brought to you by Eden, on a Via Eden, in the garden of Eden. :smile:
April 16, 2003 5:12:17 AM

i believe the new 9600pro will be faster:

}even tho the 9600pro only has 4 rendering pipelines, the core clockspeed is nearly twice as fast

}Hyper Z III+. teh 9600pro uses the slightly more effiecent R350 memory compression, compared to the 9500pros R300 technology, and this should make a substantial difference.

}even tho teh 9700pro is super fast for rendering with AA enabled, the 9800pro is even faster.
the same can be said when comparing the 9500pro to the 9600pro, as they are based on the same GPU's

the most interesting to me is the Hyper Z III+ because it makes the stencil buffer much faster compared to before..

Faster Stencil Buffer= Faster Doom3~~~

blah.. siggys suck
April 16, 2003 12:30:57 PM

Thanks for all the input
a b U Graphics card
April 16, 2003 12:57:54 PM

Sorry for the late post, skiing yesterday;

The predictive numbers say that the 9600 will be lower performance than the 9500, but all of those were from handicapped boards, and that was about a month ago. I have seen NO benchmark actually using a REAL 9600 board, either sample or final retail ready. So we don't even really know for sure the retail clocks core/mem.

As for the difference in power, I don't know what the final consumption numbers will be, ut the fact that it does NOT require a 3 or 4 pin external power connector along with the power from the AGP slot is promising/reasurring. There should be some concrete info in about a week or two as we get close to the 'new' release date (pushed up).
I'm still waiting to pull the trigge but the moment I can get a REAL comparison out there, I will fork over my dough.

a b U Graphics card
April 16, 2003 1:02:16 PM

Actually I think (just my opinion but that's ME saying it) the 9600 may perform worse in some arease and better in others. It will likely be one of those things where one aspect is much different on one card, and another is better on the other. Like No AA on one is significantly beter on one than the other, and vis versa. However for all I know they could be VERY close and only ONE thing the 9600 beats the 9500, and that will be used to justify the new nomenclature figure. However just the process alone mean more to mean than +/- 1-5% performance, howeve if it's more then that then that may cause trouble or ABSOLUTE glee!

a b U Graphics card
April 16, 2003 2:29:46 PM

Ok I posted the above before THG and HardOCP posted their reviews TODAY! So NOW there are REAL review, I guess the NDA lifted since the reviews are now everywhere, 1 hour after my post.

The other review is here;

<A HREF="http://www.hardocp.com/article.html?art=NDU4" target="_new">http://www.hardocp.com/article.html?art=NDU4&lt;/A>

April 16, 2003 6:04:54 PM

Judging by Lars' recent review, I would say a 9500Pro.

<font color=red>I´m starting to feel like a real computer consultant.</font color=red>
April 16, 2003 10:39:52 PM

well, yeah i guess i was wrong. i must say i am surprised though, i thought the more advanced memory controller would have made a bigger difference than it did.
there are some mixed views here though.
in ut2k3 the 9500 pro OWNS the 9600 pro, but in splinter cell the 9600 beats the 9500. This means the 9600 will beat the 9500 in doom 3 also.
Both are great overclockers, so i wouldnt say either is definately the card to get, its up to u.
Overall the 9500 pro is better though, and thats what i would buy, ESP. if you consider its ability (in some cases) to be modded into a 9700.

Long live ATI.
April 17, 2003 12:41:31 AM

AMD_me, stfu.
faggot.
get out of here.
"oh one time this fag had to stay in a cold cabin so he got an FX bla bla"
more like "one time at band camp AMD_me stuck a flute up his ass cause hes a big faggot".

Long live ATI.
!