Q. Immortal Grapple and Disengage

If someone plays immortal grapple and it is cancelled by an disengage,
can you play another immortal grapple?

Andrew

dal...@iinet.net.au wrote:
> If someone plays immortal grapple and it is cancelled by an
disengage,
> can you play another immortal grapple?
>
> Andrew

Card Text:

Only usable at close range before strikes are chosen.

Strikes that are not hand strikes may not be used this round (by either
combatant). ***A vampire may play only one Immortal Grapple each
round.***

It may have been cancelled, but it was still played.

DEMON

just a quick clarification on cancelling cards that are restricted to
being playable only once each round/turn/combat:

card A, combat, some effect, only one can be played each round.

card B, combat, cancel a combat card as it is played, _that card has no
effect_.

A is played and B is used to cancel it.

since A has been played once, even if it had no effect (the entire
text, including the one per round restriction), the second can't be
played because of the card text in the second instance of the card, not
because the first ones restriction.

So does that mean if I play a conditioning and someone DI's it... I
cant play the same action modifier (conditioning) again?

Andrew

dal...@iinet.net.au wrote:
> So does that mean if I play a conditioning and someone DI's it... I
> cant play the same action modifier (conditioning) again?
>
> Andrew

Yes!

It works really well against Freak Drive, Voter Captivation, Deflection
and Telepathic Misdirection as well.

Jeff

DEMON

dal...@iinet.net.au wrote:
> So does that mean if I play a conditioning and someone DI's it... I
> cant play the same action modifier (conditioning) again?

no.

you can't play the same action modifier because of the rule that
prohibits you from doing so (see rules 6.2). but you could play another
action modifier to increase the bleed.

this post explains this quite well:
http://groups-beta.google.com/group/rec.games.trading-cards.jyhad/msg/3860eed2610fec21?dmode=source&hl=en

This is a frequent question, and I think that Jeff and D... (?) are
actually agreeing. :)

Jeff is stating that DI "works really well [as a defense against] Freak
Drive, Voter Cap, ... [because they can't play another one.]"

I understand that the rules prohibit playing the same reaction card or
action modifier on a given action. Thus, when you DI one, you can't
play another because only the effects of the card are canceled, not the
actual playing of it.

Similarly (at least in my opinion), the rules prohibit playing the same
action card with the same minion on the same turn. Thus, if someone
DI's my action, I would expect that I can't play the same action again.
Yet I can.

LSJ, could you clarify what logic I'm missing? The "same action -> no
repeat reaction/action mod" rule seems analogous to the "same turn ->
no repeat action" rule, so I'm wondering why DI treats them
differently.

Thank you!

Ira

ira212@gmail.com wrote:
> LSJ, could you clarify what logic I'm missing? The "same action -> no
> repeat reaction/action mod" rule seems analogous to the "same turn ->
> no repeat action" rule, so I'm wondering why DI treats them
> differently.

DI doesn't. It treats them the same -- it cancels the card as it
is played (and the card is still really and truly played).

The rule regarding action modifiers is a restricting on playing the
same card.

The rule regarding actions is a restriction on performing the
same action.

http://www.white-wolf.com/vtes/

<ira212@gmail.com> schreef in bericht

> LSJ, could you clarify what logic I'm missing? The "same action -> no
> repeat reaction/action mod" rule seems analogous to the "same turn ->
> no repeat action" rule, so I'm wondering why DI treats them
> differently.

IIRC, the NRA only kicks in when the action RESOLVES, not when playing the
card. When an action is DI'd, it never goes to resolution, so the minion is
not "tainted" with the action.

OTOH, action modifiers are a) 'instantaneously' in effect and b) explicitly
forbidden to be used twice on the same action.

Thanks for the answer, LSJ!

> IIRC, the NRA only kicks in when the action RESOLVES,
> not when playing the card.

Yes, this makes sense.

I should have been able to figure it out, because I know the rules for
Mask of 1K, so it's perfectly legal for a minion to *play* the same
action in the same turn.

Thanks!

Ira