Bleed Action, Attempt to Block, Modifier Played ... What N..

Greetings,

don't know if this is a corner case, interesting situation, or pretty
common, however it came up during a social game and I ruled it one way
at the time, however I would like clarification/correction if
available.

Vampire A is bleeding, current bleed is for 2.
Vampire B attempts to block and is successful because Vampire A has no
stealth.

Vampire A plays a bleed modifier hoping to cycle into stealth, bleed
modified by 2 for a total of 2. Stealth is not top decked thus bleed is
still blocked.

Can Vampire B's controller play Archon Investgation since Vampire A is
attempting to bleed for more than 3 or must the block be acted upon?

Thanks In Advance,
David
19 answers Last reply
More about bleed action attempt block modifier played

    Derek Ray wrote:

    > Peter D Bakija wrote:
    > | quetzalcoatl wrote:
    > |
    > |>Can Vampire B's controller play Archon Investgation since Vampire A
    is
    > |>attempting to bleed for more than 3 or must the block be acted
    upon?

    > | I'd figure that the block is not successful till your opponent is
    done
    > | playing action modifiers--i.e. he comes to bleed, you try and
    block, he
    > | modifies hoping to top deck means that you haven't actually blocked
    > yet (as
    > | after he modifies up the bleed, you could still play a Deflection).
    > |
    > | Given that him playing modifers means (moreor less) that the action
    isn't
    > | blocked yet, I'd figure you could still AI.
    >
    > I suspect you could AI him no matter what. Card text:
    >
    > "Only usable when a minion is attempting to bleed you for more than
    3.
    > The action is not successful. Burn the acting minion."
    >
    > The action hasn't ended just because a block happens and combat is
    > begun. The minion is still attempting the action -- it's only when
    the
    > action is over that he's no longer attempting. (Otherwise Form of
    Mist
    > doesn't work.)

    ....and combat is begun.

    Does this imply if you draw up an Archon Investigation during the
    ensuing combat that you can play it then and still burn the acting
    minion? Or has the "attempting to bleed you" worn off once the block
    was successful?

    Jeff

    quetzalcoatl wrote:

    > Can Vampire B's controller play Archon Investgation since Vampire A is
    > attempting to bleed for more than 3 or must the block be acted upon?

    I'd figure that the block is not successful till your opponent is done
    playing action modifiers--i.e. he comes to bleed, you try and block, he
    modifies hoping to top deck means that you haven't actually blocked yet (as
    after he modifies up the bleed, you could still play a Deflection).

    Given that him playing modifers means (moreor less) that the action isn't
    blocked yet, I'd figure you could still AI.

    Peter D Bakija
    pdb6@lightlink.com
    http://www.lightlink.com/pdb6

    "So in conclusion, our business plan is to sell hot,
    easily spilled liquids to naked people."
    -Brittni Meil

    Derek Ray wrote:

    > I suspect you could AI him no matter what. Card text:
    >
    > "Only usable when a minion is attempting to bleed you for more than 3.
    > The action is not successful. Burn the acting minion."
    >
    > The action hasn't ended just because a block happens and combat is
    > begun. The minion is still attempting the action -- it's only when the
    > action is over that he's no longer attempting. (Otherwise Form of Mist
    > doesn't work.)

    Oh, yeah--even better logic than mine. Solid.

    LSJ wrote:

    > > Vampire A plays a bleed modifier hoping to cycle into stealth,
    bleed
    > > modified by 2 for a total of 2. Stealth is not top decked thus
    bleed is
    > > still blocked.
    >
    > ... is *now* blocked, by decree of the acting minion (who, by
    declining
    > to play any more effects to avoid the block, causes the block to be
    > considered successful and moves the action to resolution).

    If vampire A's controller has the opportunity to play effects before
    the block resolves (and he'd have to, otherwise he can't stealth
    through), doesn't vampire B's controller also have that opportunity?
    And then once both have "passed" the action moves to resolution?

    quetzalcoatl wrote:

    > Greetings,
    >
    > don't know if this is a corner case, interesting situation, or pretty
    > common, however it came up during a social game and I ruled it one way
    > at the time, however I would like clarification/correction if
    > available.
    >
    > Vampire A is bleeding, current bleed is for 2.
    > Vampire B attempts to block and is successful because Vampire A has no
    > stealth.
    >
    > Vampire A plays a bleed modifier hoping to cycle into stealth, bleed
    > modified by 2 for a total of 2. Stealth is not top decked thus bleed is
    > still blocked.

    .... is *now* blocked, by decree of the acting minion (who, by declining
    to play any more effects to avoid the block, causes the block to be
    considered successful and moves the action to resolution).

    > Can Vampire B's controller play Archon Investgation since Vampire A is
    > attempting to bleed for more than 3 or must the block be acted upon?

    No. You can't play AI during resolution (see also Spying Mission vs. AI).

    http://www.white-wolf.com/vtes/
  8. Archived from groups: rec.games.trading-cards.jyhad (More info?)

    So just to make this clear ...

    If someone declares to block, they must go through with that block no
    matter what cards are played by the acting vampire as long as it is not
    stealth that bypasses the blocking minion's intercept.

    Is that correct?

    David
  9. Archived from groups: rec.games.trading-cards.jyhad (More info?)

    quetzalcoatl wrote:
    > So just to make this clear ...
    >
    > If someone declares to block, they must go through with that block no
    > matter what cards are played by the acting vampire as long as it is not
    > stealth that bypasses the blocking minion's intercept.
    >
    > Is that correct?

    Or unless the card gives the blocker an ability to back out -- eg,
    inferior Dawn Operation.

    But yes. This is how Aching Beauty / Mask of 1000 Faces decks work.

    --Colin McGuigan
  10. Archived from groups: rec.games.trading-cards.jyhad (More info?)

    "Chris Berger" <arkayn@ugcs.caltech.edu> schreef in bericht

    > LSJ wrote:
    > > >
    > > > Vampire A plays a bleed modifier hoping to cycle into stealth,
    > bleed
    > > > modified by 2 for a total of 2. Stealth is not top decked thus
    > bleed is
    > > > still blocked.
    > >
    > > ... is *now* blocked, by decree of the acting minion (who, by
    > declining
    > > to play any more effects to avoid the block, causes the block to be
    > > considered successful and moves the action to resolution).
    > >
    > If vampire A's controller has the opportunity to play effects before
    > the block resolves (and he'd have to, otherwise he can't stealth
    > through), doesn't vampire B's controller also have that opportunity?
    > And then once both have "passed" the action moves to resolution?

    No. Player A declining to play more effects, causes the block to be
    successful. Player cannot back out of blocking and play an effect
    instead.

    Similarly, you cannot attempt to block, succeed in doing, and play
    deflection instead. Declaring the block attempt is, in effect, a
    'reaction card' that must be resolved before you can play other effects,
    like AI. Otherwise, you would be able to play the AI during the
    resulting combat.

    AI is only playable when you're about to remove more than 3 pool from
    your total.
  11. Archived from groups: rec.games.trading-cards.jyhad (More info?)

    Izaak wrote:
    > "Chris Berger" <arkayn@ugcs.caltech.edu> schreef in bericht
    >>LSJ wrote:
    >>>... is *now* blocked, by decree of the acting minion (who, by
    >>
    >>declining
    >>
    >>>to play any more effects to avoid the block, causes the block to be
    >>>considered successful and moves the action to resolution).
    >>
    >>If vampire A's controller has the opportunity to play effects before
    >>the block resolves (and he'd have to, otherwise he can't stealth
    >>through), doesn't vampire B's controller also have that opportunity?
    >>And then once both have "passed" the action moves to resolution?
    >
    > No. Player A declining to play more effects, causes the block to be
    > successful. Player cannot back out of blocking and play an effect
    > instead.

    Correct.

    > Similarly, you cannot attempt to block, succeed in doing, and play
    > deflection instead. Declaring the block attempt is, in effect, a
    > 'reaction card' that must be resolved before you can play other effects,
    > like AI. Otherwise, you would be able to play the AI during the
    > resulting combat.

    Correct.

    > AI is only playable when you're about to remove more than 3 pool from
    > your total.

    No. AI is only playable before resolution -- before you're about to
    remove the pool (or before the unsuccessful resolution (block combat)).

    http://www.white-wolf.com/vtes/
  12. Archived from groups: rec.games.trading-cards.jyhad (More info?)

    Great .. so I ruled correctly ... that makes me feel better.

    Actually the Aching Beauty/Mask deck doesn't work.

    LSJ has stated that one aching beauty does not equal another aching
    beauty thus two Toreadors with Aching Beauty and Obfuscate cannot Mask
    for each other thus causing 2 pool to be burnt on a block. This is
    because each vampire cannot use the Aching Beauty on the other vampire.

    David
  13. Archived from groups: rec.games.trading-cards.jyhad (More info?)

    "quetzalcoatl" <david@vega.id.au> schreef in bericht
    > Great .. so I ruled correctly ... that makes me feel better.
    >
    > Actually the Aching Beauty/Mask deck doesn't work.
    >
    > LSJ has stated that one aching beauty does not equal another aching
    > beauty thus two Toreadors with Aching Beauty and Obfuscate cannot Mask
    > for each other thus causing 2 pool to be burnt on a block. This is
    > because each vampire cannot use the Aching Beauty on the other vampire.

    but one toreador with 2 (or more) Aching Beauty can mask after a tor without
    Aching Beauty has been blocked. That way, the decks works better, IMO.
  14. Archived from groups: rec.games.trading-cards.jyhad (More info?)

    Jeroen Rombouts wrote:
    > presence weenie bleeds, gets blocked
    > Joaquin Murietta (with 2or more AB and an optional skill card qui):
    mask, AB
    > kicks in and he can play Thin Blood + Crocodile's tongue...

    Crocodile's Tongue can only be played before a block is successful.
    Aching Beauty only takes effect after a block is successful. The two do
    not mix well: you're basically giving the blocker a chance to avoid
    taking the pool damage of AB by declining to pay the blood cost of CT.

    Aching Beauty + Change of Target works much better. Or Aching Beauty +
    Majesty, as you mentioned.
  15. Archived from groups: rec.games.trading-cards.jyhad (More info?)

    quetzalcoatl wrote:
    > Great .. so I ruled correctly ... that makes me feel better.
    >
    > Actually the Aching Beauty/Mask deck doesn't work.
    >
    > LSJ has stated that one aching beauty does not equal another aching
    > beauty thus two Toreadors with Aching Beauty and Obfuscate cannot Mask
    > for each other thus causing 2 pool to be burnt on a block. This is
    > because each vampire cannot use the Aching Beauty on the other vampire.

    No no no... you have Francois with two (or more) ABs, who Masks over if
    any of the other minion's actions are blocked. The blockee cannot back
    out, and must take the 2 (or more) pool damage.

    --Colin McGuigan
  16. Archived from groups: rec.games.trading-cards.jyhad (More info?)

    Fabio Sooner Macedo wrote:
    > I found the idea of Murietta's Aching Beauty interesting.

    I prefer to put it on Francois because of his built-in steal blood
    action. He always has something worthwhile to do after he plays Change
    of Target or Majesty. He's also a Prince with +1 bleed. It's hard to
    go wrong with Francois.
  17. Archived from groups: rec.games.trading-cards.jyhad (More info?)

    "Colin McGuigan" <maguaSPAM@BGONEspeakeasy.net> schreef in bericht
    > quetzalcoatl wrote:
    >> Great .. so I ruled correctly ... that makes me feel better.
    >>
    >> Actually the Aching Beauty/Mask deck doesn't work.
    >>
    >> LSJ has stated that one aching beauty does not equal another aching
    >> beauty thus two Toreadors with Aching Beauty and Obfuscate cannot Mask
    >> for each other thus causing 2 pool to be burnt on a block. This is
    >> because each vampire cannot use the Aching Beauty on the other vampire.
    >
    > No no no... you have Francois with two (or more) ABs, who Masks over if
    > any of the other minion's actions are blocked. The blockee cannot back
    > out, and must take the 2 (or more) pool damage.

    or:
    presence weenie bleeds, gets blocked
    Joaquin Murietta (with 2or more AB and an optional skill card qui): mask, AB
    kicks in and he can play Thin Blood + Crocodile's tongue to add insult to
    injury. pity he doesn't have superior pres or he could use superior Majesty
    (as his inbuilt additional strike) to untap and be ready to play another
    mask. lotsa moving parts, of course :)
  18. Archived from groups: rec.games.trading-cards.jyhad (More info?)

    On 9 May 2005 09:27:50 -0700, "Emmit Svenson"
    <emmitsvenson@hotmail.com> wrote:

    >Jeroen Rombouts wrote:
    >> presence weenie bleeds, gets blocked
    >> Joaquin Murietta (with 2or more AB and an optional skill card qui):
    >mask, AB
    >> kicks in and he can play Thin Blood + Crocodile's tongue...
    >
    >Crocodile's Tongue can only be played before a block is successful.
    >Aching Beauty only takes effect after a block is successful. The two do
    >not mix well: you're basically giving the blocker a chance to avoid
    >taking the pool damage of AB by declining to pay the blood cost of CT.
    >
    >Aching Beauty + Change of Target works much better. Or Aching Beauty +
    >Majesty, as you mentioned.

    Of course, if the combo has less cards and achives the same core
    result (pool loss), its better.
    But still, I found the idea of Murietta's Aching Beauty interesting.
    Combining pool loss with blood loss or even torpor (maybe using some
    guns) is nice. Minions losing blood means less pool for my prey to
    regain via Minion Tap or Dolls.

    Maybe I'll try to figure out something.

    best,

    Fabio "Sooner" Macedo
    V:TES National Coordinator for Brazil
    Giovanni Newsletter Editor
    V for Vendetta on the big screen!
    http://vforvendetta.warnerbros.com/
  19. Archived from groups: rec.games.trading-cards.jyhad (More info?)

    "Emmit Svenson" <emmitsvenson@hotmail.com> schreef in bericht

    > Jeroen Rombouts wrote:
    >> presence weenie bleeds, gets blocked
    >> Joaquin Murietta (with 2or more AB and an optional skill card qui):
    > mask, AB
    >> kicks in and he can play Thin Blood + Crocodile's tongue...
    >
    > Crocodile's Tongue can only be played before a block is successful.
    > Aching Beauty only takes effect after a block is successful.

    oops. brain flatulence...

Video Games