Sign in with
Your question

Want to change the default answer to Yes for shortcuts

Last response: in Windows 7
June 11, 2010 4:03:36 PM

In Windows 7 Ultimate/IE 8, I want to change the default answer for making a desktop shortcut to "Yes", because its currently set to "No" and its a pain in the ass to keep having to switch over each time. ( I create a lot of shortcuts when I'm compare shopping websites for PC Parts).
I've tried a couple of registry edits of my own but they failed to do what I wanted.
I've checked around a bit but haven't found a fix yet....so I figured I'd ask some of you folks since I've always gotten good advice here in the past....any help ?
Quote:

It is only Thru Communication that Knowledge is Gained
a c 209 $ Windows 7
June 11, 2010 5:41:34 PM

When I try it I don't get prompted... How are you creating the shortcut?

The way I do it is to click/drag the icon from the left end of the address bar onto the desktop. When I do that the shortcut appears on the desktop with no prompts.
m
l
June 11, 2010 6:08:23 PM

sminlal said:
When I try it I don't get prompted... How are you creating the shortcut?

The way I do it is to click/drag the icon from the left end of the address bar onto the desktop. When I do that the shortcut appears on the desktop with no prompts.

Hey thanks for the reply, I create the shortcuts when I'm at a web page, an Amazon.com page for a product or really on any open Window, I just right click to pull up the options menu and click my mouse on the "create shortcut" line and then it wants to ask me if I want to put a shortcut on my desktop ( which is a stupid question or I wouldn't have clicked it in the first place) but the default action has my mouse pointer over the "No" button.
I just want to change it so the default action is "Yes" or for it not to ask me at all and just put the shortcut on my desktop.

Does that help you understand more of what I'm trying to do ?
m
l
Related resources
a c 209 $ Windows 7
June 11, 2010 7:26:51 PM

OK, I see what you're trying to do, but I don't know of a way to eliminate the question.

Have you tried simply dragging the icon from the left end of the address bar onto the desktop? I think you'll find that it's just as easy, if not easier, and it doesn't ask a question.

Of course you need to have a bit of the desktop visible in order to do that - it would rule out running your browser as a maximized window.
m
l
June 11, 2010 7:40:23 PM

Yeah I found out the only way to do it your way is be using a minimized window or to drag it to one side, which kinda defeats my purpose of just using the one right click shortcut method.
There's got to be a way to change the defualt behavior in IE8 from the
"No" answer that by default my mouse goes to...
Granted its only one more step but some times when I'm looking for parts for a new build ( I have a small business selling custom Rigs for people here in Charlotte) I might go to 15 different websites shopping around for parts and that turns into a lot of extra steps.
m
l
a c 209 $ Windows 7
June 11, 2010 10:02:02 PM

The window doesn't have to be minimized, you just have to drag the edges so that it's mostly fills the screen but with a little bit of space showing the desktop on (say) the left or the right side.

If you don't want to do that, you might consider using Firefox. One of it's big benefits is all of the third-party tools that are available. Here's one called "Deskcut" that saves shortcuts to the desktop: https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/66/
m
l
June 11, 2010 10:34:05 PM

I appreciate the effort but I guess I'm just going to have to figure out a way to change the default behavior somewhere else. I've got a request in to Microsoft.
I don't feel comfortable with Firefox so thats not an option.
I'll just hunt around some more.
have a nice weekend. I'll let you know when I find a fix.
m
l
!