9500Pro problem

copo

Distinguished
Apr 8, 2003
I just brought a set of mainboard, RAM, CPU and vga card. They are Asus P4G8X, Kingston 512MB DDR333 x 2, HIS Radeon 9500Pro and P4 2.4B.

My desktop resolution is 1280x1024, I have installed the latest Catalyst driver frm ati.com and the E7205 chipset update. When I just use IE or browsing around the disk, in such normal operations, it may suddenly jump to 640x480 with 16 colors!

I don't know what happen, it may not due to heat problem since it will happen even I just start the PC and I have checked all the fans are turning around.

Any hints will be greatly appreciate!

marneus

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
did you rebuild the OS on your hardrive from scratch ??? if not U will need to...

not heat, this IS a software issue, either OS or driver... got the corerect monitor driver installed & the correct R9500 driver & control panel (ie the same) loaded...

does it happen as soon as you open a program or aftrer X amount of time ???

Hmmm, wonder if I can get a valid page fault ???
these invalid ones are far too commonplace...

copo

Distinguished
Apr 8, 2003
Yes, the OS is built from scratch, this must be done since I have changed my mainboard from i815 to E7205, it a WindowsXP Professional, I have applied all the patches too.

The happen time is random, no matter 3 or 5 minutes, or it may hangs and reboot when it just start.

I have tried Catalyst 3.2 and the one comes with the card (but the one come with the card seems not call Catalyst but just said it is the driver for Radeon cards. Can you try explain this? Thanks)

The error report said the system instability is mainly caused by the video card driver, and I have submit the report. Any workaround suggested ?

Thank you.