Network trouble.. Plz Help

stealthbig

Distinguished
Aug 10, 2001
Ok, I bought a network kit and i set up everything with a hub. I ran the home networking wizard and my host computer for internet connection sharing is set up, on taskbar there is an icon veryifing it is sharing.. Now my problem is when i log onto AOL from my host computer, i cant go on the internet on my other computer. I can access files from the other computer so they are connected. On both computers IP addresses are automatically made, subnet mask is 255.255.0.0 Ip is in 169.254.234.x range. Now since (I guess?) DHCP is enabled and working properly on host, Im not touching any DNS or DHCP options. On host it says DHCP server is 255.255.255.255 (I dont know much about how DHCP works so i guess this is ok)It might just be that AOL cant have 2 computers through 1 connection? I read somewhere that some versions dont allow it but i have the newest version. If i could make static IP's or anything that will work, ill be glad to because DHCP doesnt seem to be doing its job. Thanks.

jihiggs

Splendid
Oct 11, 2001
where does it say dhcp is 255.255.255.255? if you ran the wizard it should work, maybe you should try running it again.

i went to the tomshardware forums and all i got was this lousy signature.

Do you have two network cards in the main system?

I thought you had to have one for connecting and one for serving the clients hosts, using default IP numbers. (x.x.x.1 & x.x.x.2) etc.

<b><font color=blue>~ They're coming to take me away. Ha Ha! ~</font color=blue></b>

CALV

Distinguished
May 17, 2001
often a 169.x.x.x IP is assigned by windows when it fails to get a "real" ip from a dhcp server, if none of your systems are set as a dhcp server then you will need to assign the ip's manually.

If they squeeze olives to get olive oil, how do they get baby oil?

jlanka

Splendid
Mar 16, 2001
1) What OS?

2) I'm assuming you're talking about AOL Plus?

3) If so, here's an answer to a FAQ question posted at <A HREF="http://www.practicallynetworked.com" target="_new">Practicallynetworked.com</A>:
<b>
3/7/00 Having trouble getting AOL to work? Check the ICS Control panel and make sure that the "Connect to the Internet Using" selection is set to "AOL Adapter" and not "AOL Dialup Adapter</b>

<i>It's always the one thing you never suspected.</i>