Mother vs GPU

0zzie

Distinguished
Apr 9, 2003
Hi all,
Im looking to upgrade my graphics card and im confused. My mother board ASUS A7A266 (2 yrs old) has a 4x AGP slot - does that mean any graphics card with 8x will work but be wasted?? ie should I not even consider any GPU's with 8x ??
I was thinking of gettin Radeon 9500 Pro or Nvid's 4800se
My specs currently are 1.33GIG AMD CPU, 256 PC2100 DDR ram, GForce 2pro.
Can anyone enlighten me im struggling to get info on the above.

Smokey

Distinguished
Apr 18, 2002
Nah, it won't be wasted. Will it run on that board at 8x? No. Will you take a big performance loss from running it at 4x? Nope.

While the technology is there, it'll still take a while for these cards to really benefit and utilize the 8x bandwidth. You can always upgrade your MB at some point later on anyway.

As to which card, they're both awesome. I have an nVidia and ATI card on two boxes, so I'm one of those unique people who doesn't have a preference between the two. Haven't tried the 4800se, but the 9500pro is an absolute blast. Take the brand you've had better experience with in the past.

<font color=purple><i>If I had a notch on my belt for every PC I'd destroyed, I'd have a really crappy looking belt</i></font color=purple>

jihiggs

Splendid
Oct 11, 2001
yea, your video card will last a long time. i have had my geforce 1 on 3 past mother boards, and just now i need to upgrade it.

my computer is so fast, it completes an endless loop in less than 4 seconds!